Doctor Who

yoda

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

You didn't notice the plot because there wasn't one. Absolutely nothing happened.

It was an excuse for Capaldi to indulge in some ham acting, to shoehorn a Dalek into the episode and to set up and show the regeneration. In terms of plot there was absolutely nothing there.

You seem disappointed. I though it was a thoroughly enjoyable hour of television which saw Capaldi's Doctor end on a high.

I thought it was pretty light tbh up until the last 10 minutes or so.

With every other Doctor I've felt that there time had come by the time they left the show, but I could have kept watching Capaldi play the Doctor for a lot lomger.

My favourite Doctor.

https://stuartreviewsstuff.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/doctor-who-twice-upon-a-time-review-i-shall-miss-him-yes-i-shall-miss-him/

You didn't notice the plot because there wasn't one. Absolutely nothing happened.

It was an excuse for Capaldi to indulge in some ham acting, to shoehorn a Dalek into the episode and to set up and show the regeneration. In terms of plot there was absolutely nothing there.

I think we'll see some of the "lessons learned" in this episode in the new Doctor, they'll be defined by this.

I really liked that version of Capaldi in the role, a proper war weary version who's tired of it all and just wants a way out. They probably should've had him in that darker situation all season, instead of the embarrassing mid life crisis shite. Agree about the other Doctor stealing the show, though.

Never seen Whittaker in anything so intrigued by how she'll do in it, biggest problem is Moffat.

Apparently Moffat is also gone, even more intriguing now

Aye the writer is the same person who wrote Broadchurch which Whittaker was in. Can’t say I watched all of it, but from what I did see it was well written. Hopefully it’s a fresh start from the woeful writing Capaldi got given.

Got round to watching it last night.  I enjoyed it for what it was, although I felt they wasted Bradley as the First Doctor by making him the butt of some cheap jokes.  I thought the regen scene dragged on a bit.  I did like the wee bit that Whittaker got at the end though.

On 26/12/2017 at 09:13, BallochSonsFan said:

Exactly, it was a 5 minute scene stretched out to an hour. It did little to pay off the Doctor's sentiments about his weariness at living while everyone else died, which had actually been set up with some skill across Capaldi's tenure. I'm thinking about his little "Mind Palace" scenes in the superlative 'Heaven's sent' when he begs the Clara in his mind to be allowed to lose, just for once, to ask why he couldn't be allowed to sleep. I never got the sense of what, in the plot caused a change in the Doctor's mind, beyond the exhortations of the memories of his companions. I did like his saving of what turned out to be Captain Lethbridge Stewart: A nice feedthrough from his 'just be kind' monologue in 'The Doctor Falls'

Just one word on this. I watched it with my son and daughter (who is 7). She was not aware of the impending regeneration and was thrilled when the Doctor turned in to a woman. For about 3 days afterwards she was talking about it. Confirms my earlier feeling that this is a Good Thing.

• 7 months later...

The new series starts on Sunday 7th October. I'm looking forward to watching this rather than watching out of loyalty. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the Moffat era and I'm hoping the change of showrunner makes a big difference, not to mention the fact that we have a new Doctor!

clicky

57 minutes ago, microdave said:

The new series starts on Sunday 7th October. I'm looking forward to watching this rather than watching out of loyalty. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the Moffat era and I'm hoping the change of showrunner makes a big difference, not to mention the fact that we have a new Doctor!

clicky

Chibnall wrote some of the dullest filler of that era, as well as one gimmicky and very forgetable episode in RTD's 3rd season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chibnall

Chibnall wrote some of the dullest filler of that era, as well as one gimmicky and very forgetable episode in RTD's 3rd season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chibnall
Aye a few stinkers there but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he was probably given the basic plot of those episodes before writing them. And Moffat's RTD era episodes were fantastic so maybe Chibnall will do the opposite and be the best storyteller ever. Time will tell!

• 1 month later...