Manchester bands/artists....

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they're better than all of them.

Me and a mate are always arguing about who's better, Oasis or The Stone Roses. He makes the valid point that Oasis are heavily influenced by The Stone Roses, but then again how many really good songs do The Stone Roses have? Fair enough their first album is a topper, but that's about 10 good songs. I could name 40 cracking songs by Oasis, easily.

Tbf if you like 1 Oasis song, you'll like them all!

Tbf if you like 1 Oasis song, you'll like them all!

Not true, Little James, She's Electric and Lyla are all fucking shite. :lol:

Tbh, even as a big Oasis fan I can totally understand the criticism, a lot of their more famous songs are quite generic and samey. However, a lot of their earlier lesser known tracks are suberb imo, they piss all over some of their hits. This is a bit of a bold statement, but I don't think there's a band in the world who have a better collection of B-Sides than Oasis, I reckon 4 or my 5 favourite Oasis songs are B-Sides.

Not true, Little James, She's Electric and Lyla are all fucking shite. :lol:

Tbh, even as a big Oasis fan I can totally understand the criticism, a lot of their more famous songs are quite generic and samey. However, a lot of their earlier lesser known tracks are suberb imo, they piss all over some of their hits. This is a bit of a bold statement, but I don't think there's a band in the world who have a better collection of B-Sides than Oasis, I reckon 4 or my 5 favourite Oasis songs are B-Sides.

I'd agree with that. Their early cd singles were essential purchases having as they did 4 great songs for every release. If only they held some of those songs back from album 3 onwards :lol:

Buzzcocks got my vote.

I can't believe that shifty b*****d Frank Sidebottom got on the list!

Great live band , but f**k me they are loud! I've seen them twice, once at The Garage, can't remember the other venue, but they must have thought they were playing Hampden with the amps and speaker equipment they were using.

I'd agree with that. Their early cd singles were essential purchases having as they did 4 great songs for every release. If only they held some of those songs back from album 3 onwards :lol:

Too right. It's unbelievable that great tunes like Listen Up, Acquiesce, Fade Away, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away and many more weren't considered album standard, and yet a few years later they were releasing pish like Who Feels Love. That's like having David Villa in your reserves and a few years later having to rely on Akpo Sodje to bang them in for the first team. Even great B-Sides like Sad Song and D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman weren't deemed good enough for the best of Oasis B-Sides album. Talk of going from an embarrassment of riches to just embarrassmnent.

The argument over whether Definitely Maybe is better than What's The Story Morning Glory is totally pointless, The Masterplan is better than both of them. 8)

Got the lead singer of the Inspiral Carpets playing a gig on Saturday.

post-735-0-36436800-1304962089_thumb.jpg

Wee bit out of the way for me to attend but I'd recommend the gig to anyone who lives relatively close by. I've seen Hingley a few times in Ayr and Kilmarnock and he's very good especially if you are/were a fan of the Inspirals.

Too right. It's unbelievable that great tunes like Listen Up, Acquiesce, Fade Away, Talk Tonight, Half The World Away and many more weren't considered album standard, and yet a few years later they were releasing pish like Who Feels Love. That's like having David Villa in your reserves and a few years later having to rely on Akpo Sodje to bang them in for the first team. Even great B-Sides like Sad Song and D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman weren't deemed good enough for the best of Oasis B-Sides album. Talk of going from an embarrassment of riches to just embarrassmnent.

The argument over whether Definitely Maybe is better than What's The Story Morning Glory is totally pointless, The Masterplan is better than both of them. 8)

Who Feels Love is a great tune, vastly underrated.

D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman isn't all that great, Sad Song is though. As is Let's All Make Believe - criminal shit like Little James was on SOTSOG over that tune.

Definitely Maybe is better than Morning Glory, The Masterplan is slightly worse than both.

Just though i'd let you know where you were going wrong mate!

Wee bit out of the way for me to attend but I'd recommend the gig to anyone who lives relatively close by. I've seen Hingley a few times in Ayr and Kilmarnock and he's very good especially if you are/were a fan of the Inspirals.

Looking forward to this one. Spoken to Tom on the phone, but it will be better having a chat face to face on Saturday. Only a 140 capacity venue, so it will be a great atmosphere.

Looking forward to this one. Spoken to Tom on the phone, but it will be better having a chat face to face on Saturday. Only a 140 capacity venue, so it will be a great atmosphere.

No disrespect to the man in question, but I've always wanted to go to a gig of that size with somebody I view as a true music legend. Some sort of Bob Dylan, Noel Gallagher, Morrisey, Roger Waters etcetc. I know they're not to everyone's cup of tea, but I'd love to see an intimate live gig with someone who just has this kind of untouchable rockstar aura about them. Really watch them at their most unplugged and natural & see what they're all about first hand.

Guys like that you're usually just one of so many thousand.

• 1 year later...

i went for Oasis but only just ahead of the Smiths, always felt the Stone Roses were a bit overrated to be honest which I know isn't the populist view but just my opinion, Manchester had been the hub of great music over the 90's and part of the 00's ,all gone a bit quiet from there now though.

• 2 years later...

Archived