Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

NYGz say things like "I was a fiend/Before I hooked up with Preem/Made C.R.E.A.M./Cooked weight on a triple-beam...." while the one-and-only DJ Premier chops up The Whole Darn Family's 'Seven Minutes Of Funk'.....

An all-time classic this one - I've nothing but fond memories of Tim Westwood introducing the 'Top Ten at 10' on Saturday nights circa 1995 over this break (Love Unlimited Orchestra's 'Strange Games & Things')....

Speaking of Tim, this Nas freestyle - actually just a mix of verses from 'Memory Lane' plus some other random rhymes - from Westwood's legendary show on Capital Radio (before he bounced to the BBC) over Isaac Hayes' 'Ike's Mood' is one of the best things ever:

"I might stutter but I'm still crazy butter..."

Speaking of Tim, this Nas freestyle - actually just a mix of verses from 'Memory Lane' plus some other random rhymes - from Westwood's legendary show on Capital Radio (before he bounced to the BBC) over Isaac Hayes' 'Ike's Mood' is one of the best things ever:

"I might stutter but I'm still crazy butter..."

Westwood was the highlight of many a Friday and Saturday night. Great memories.

Your recommendations in this thread have been wack. Along with the fact you used inverted commas and think it's only acceptable to use the term ironically mean you need to be posting elsewhere.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

Anyone catch the recent Combat Jack interview with Prince Paul? Some great insight into the Gravediggaz period - didn't realise they recorded it around '91-'92, pre Wu-Tang, but the thing didn't drop until '94, after Wu had blown up. Brilliant interview - he also talks about De La, Doom etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thecombatjackshow/the-prince-paul-episode

Haven't listened to his shows in a while but listened to a Prince Paul interview last year, must've been Juan Epsteins show.

Your recommendations in this thread have been wack. Along with the fact you used inverted commas and think it's only acceptable to use the term ironically mean you need to be posting elsewhere.

You know that you can be a fan of the genre without using hip-hop lingo?

My inputs on this thread are examples of hip-hop which I'm a fan of. Your inputs on this thread are scathing judgements of everyone else's music taste. Please give it a rest and allow people to like the music they naturally like. Cheers.

Using your terms, your scathing judgement of a word that's been used to describe hip hop since the 70s up to modern day has outed you as someone who doesn't naturally like the music. In your defence you probably won't see it used very often when Pitchfork tell you what hip hop they think it's ok to listen to.

Go back and look at my posts if you think I only criticise and you'll learn a bit more about what's out there.

Using your terms, your scathing judgement of a word that's been used to describe hip hop since the 70s up to modern day has outed you as someone who doesn't naturally like the music. In your defence you probably won't see it used very often when Pitchfork tell you what hip hop they think it's ok to listen to.

Go back and look at my posts if you think I only criticise and you'll learn a bit more about what's out there.

This post pretty much sums up your attitude, so thanks for that. I know it's a word which has been used to describe hip hop for many years, but namely by Americans and not middle-aged Scottish men who post on football messageboards.

I thought the fact that I listen to hip hop indicates that I'm a fan of the genre. But I'll use 'wack', 'dope' and 'sick' in everyday conversation if it's the only way to confirm I like the music. Thanks for the advice. I've never read Pitchfork btw.

Every resource I use for actually listening to new releases uses it regularly whether it's Scottish, English or further afield. I wouldn't expect you to hold your hands up to being an indie media fan with a very passing interest in the genre but with a delusional opinion of your thoughts on hip hop.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

You must have missed an awful lot of mine.

Nope. I've enjoyed most of it and was already aware of a lot of it. Still, it doesn't remotely affect my personal preferences. I'm truly sorry that I like branches of the genre which you frown upon. I hope it doesn't upset you too much.