Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

Don't stink out what could be a decent thread with weak trolling.

Hard to disagree with #facts though, the musical landscape is currently being led by the folks who listened to Kanye, Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane and a whole lot of rappers you probably hate because they aren't a backpacker group from the mid nineties. Shutting yourself because of prejudices kind of defeats the point of listening to music.

Coincidentally, Drake has dropped the first single from Views from the Six called 'Summer Sixteen'. (On Apple Music if you want to listen). Personally I thought it was pretty weak as I don't give a shit about the Meek Mill feud anymore. I felt in his previous stuff there felt like some development whilst this single felt lazy. He is trying too hard to make everything a meme rather than be a somewhat engaging character which got him where he is.

That being said he could make an album entirely of brown noise and still go platinum (otherwise known as Kid Cudi's last album).

What have you got against the greatest artist of this generation and one of the hottest rappers in the game? Are they too popular for you?

Popularity does not necessarily equal greatness. As much as it is all subjective, there is no way Kanye West is anywhere near the hottest rapper in the game unless you are talking about purely mainstream artists. Once you start digging about the underground you'll find some amazing rappers who aren't and never will be mainstream.

There's no subjectivity as far as Drake is concerned though - he is utter shite.

Popularity does not necessarily equal greatness. As much as it is all subjective, there is no way Kanye West is anywhere near the hottest rapper in the game unless you are talking about purely mainstream artists. Once you start digging about the underground you'll find some amazing rappers who aren't and never will be mainstream.

There's no subjectivity as far as Drake is concerned though - he is utter shite.

Of course not on a technical level, but Kanye has influenced countless artists and certainly changed the mainstream style away from gangsta rap. You an see a lot of inspiration in the production, as well as rapping about self vulnerabilities. You don't hang about for as long as he has and have as much success

You need the mainstream club stuff that gets people into hip hop and if they want to dig deeper the underground stuff is there. Everything has its value and they can't flourish without the other. A fire record can come from a major label in the same way it can from a dirty basement and a very technically proficient lyricist can make a shit song. Hip Hop is a broad church and everything has its niche.

I'm not going to blast Drake out the speakers with my pals but he is worthy of a mention as he is one of the few people selling and yes he is hip hop, but you already knew that.

Hard to disagree with #facts though, the musical landscape is currently being led by the folks who listened to Kanye, Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane and a whole lot of rappers you probably hate because they aren't a backpacker group from the mid nineties. Shutting yourself because of prejudices kind of defeats the point of listening to music.

Don't waste your time typing clichés, I'm not interested in them. You're making a lot of assumptions which aren't true. I said earlier that I've been listening to current releases for close to 30 years now. although the golden era was undoubtedly the best time for hip hop it's still the only style of music that I check for new releases. Popularity has nothing to do with my dislike of artists like Kanye West.

His choice of producers post Illmatic is questionable to say the least that beat is awful.

It was written was a hot album as was stillmatic and Life is Good, the rest is a mixed bag from Gods son (decent) to Nastradamous (bloody awful)

Not sure his new stuff is going to have the heavy trap influence or that seems to be massive in the states just now (can't say I'm keen on Future, Young Thug and the like) or this was just a one but at least the flows still there.

Technically Nas is one of the greats but post Illmatic hewasn't so interested in production. Read an interview with 7th Wonder who said he was far less fussy beats wise than someone like Jay Z.

I listen to various Trap/Drill tracks but not extensively.