Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

Damn, ya'll mad.

Face it, Hospin is a very poor rapper who the majority of the Hip-hop community don't like. He is the definition of trying to hard to be controversial

As, Frank Ocean. It is one of the most critically acclaimed albums. biggrin.gif

Please stop saying 'ya'll'. And you're talking nonsense. His new 'Ill Mind of Hopsin 5' video has amassed more Youtube views than Lil Wayne's new one, so he's clearly beginning to get noticed.

It is indeed a critically acclaimed album, but I listened to it and concluded that it was nothing special. Listen to Nas' 'Life is Good' or Plan B's 'Ill Manors' if you want to hear two albums released this year which are superior.

Which rappers are you into, pray tell? You strike me as a Lil Wayne/Drake kind of guy or, at best, a Jay Z/Kanye fan.

Damn, ya'll mad.

Face it, Hospin is a very poor rapper who the majority of the Hip-hop community don't like. He is the definition of trying to hard to be controversial

As, Frank Ocean. It is one of the most critically acclaimed albums. biggrin.gif

Meh, I like some of his stuff and don't really care about who the majority of the "Hip-hop community (:lol: )" like.

But seriously, Jutsin Bieber and R Kelly. Have a word with yourself.

Please stop saying 'ya'll'. And you're talking nonsense. His new 'Ill Mind of Hopsin 5' video has amassed more Youtube views than Lil Wayne's new one, so he's clearly beginning to get noticed.

It is indeed a critically acclaimed album, but I listened to it and concluded that it was nothing special. Listen to Nas' 'Life is Good' or Plan B's 'Ill Manors' if you want to hear two albums released this year which are superior.

Which rappers are you into, pray tell? You strike me as a Lil Wayne/Drake kind of guy or, at best, a Jay Z/Kanye fan.

Just because he getting noticed, doesn't make him good does it?

Nas "LIfe is Good" is a great album, but to compare it to "Channel Orange" is stupid. Completely different genres.

As for the rappers I like, well there is to much to mention, but heres a quick rundown:

A$AP Rocky, Kanye West, Nas, Schoolboy Q, Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, Pusha T, Waka Flocka Flame (Cant beat some trap) and Yasiin Bay (Mos Def). Of course they are many others aswell but that just a taster.

Don't like Lil Wayne (Tha Carter 2 and 3 were good though) and only like some of Drake's stuff.

Meh, I like some of his stuff and don't really care about who the majority of the "Hip-hop community (:lol: )" like.

But seriously, Jutsin Bieber and R Kelly. Have a word with yourself.

You cannot deny that they are good and what they set out to do, which is to sell a f**k-load of records.

Just because he getting noticed, doesn't make him good does it?

Nas "LIfe is Good" is a great album, but to compare it to "Channel Orange" is stupid. Completely different genres.

Umm, you said that 'Channel Orange' was the album of the year. Therefore, you have already compared it to other albums you have heard this year. Genre is irrelevant.

You also said that Hopsin is disliked by the majority of the hip-hop community. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this 'community', but I'd argue that he is gaining more popularity by the day.

Umm, you said that 'Channel Orange' was the album of the year. Therefore, you have already compared it to other albums you have heard this year. Genre is irrelevant.

You also said that Hopsin is disliked by the majority of the hip-hop community. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this 'community', but I'd argue that he is gaining more popularity by the day.

Overall, taking in all aspects I think "Channel Orange" is a better album.

Well the hip-hop forums I've been on seem to hate on him. Like me, many find him trying to hard and just not a very good rapper. He really is just like a poor slim shady. f**k it, he is even a poor version of Tyler, The Creator. (Who I know Hospin mocks in one of his videos, probs outta jealously.)

Outta interest, who do you rate these days?

Edited by Lisandro

Overall, taking in all aspects I think "Channel Orange" is a better album.

Well the hip-hop forums I've been on seem to hate on him. Like me, many find him trying to hard and just not a very good rapper. He really is just like a poor slim shady. f**k it, he is even a poor version of Tyler, The Creator. (Who I know Hospin mocks in one of his videos, probs outta jealously.)

Outta interest, who do you rate these days?

But I thought you couldn't possibly be able to compare albums with different genres? I guess you have changed your mind now. ;) Agree to disagree on that one though. I found it a bit turgid. Although definitely a class apart from some other so-called r'n'b artists' latest albums (Usher, Chris Brown).

Hopsin seems to divide opinion, which is always a good thing in my opinion. Can't please everybody. He is developing a bit of a fanbase now, but obviously there will be a majority of YMCMB and Odd Future fans who dislike him because of his Lil Wayne/Tyler disses. I don't mind Tyler to be honest, but his beats can sometimes be difficult to listen to and Hopsin is far more lyrical.

For me, Eminem is still the best in the world by far. His earlier stuff is better, but still nobody can touch him in terms of flow and lyrics. I'm a big fan of Plan B, but he is the only British rapper I'm really into (although there are a few who I quite like). Other than those - Nas, Childish Gambino, J Cole, Hopsin, Kendrick Lamar. And others.

Edited by The Real Saints

But I thought you couldn't possibly be able to compare albums with different genres? I guess you have changed your mind now. ;) Agree to disagree on that one though. I found it a bit turgid. Although definitely a class apart from some other so-called r'n'b artists' latest albums (Usher, Chris Brown).

Hopsin seems to divide opinion, which is always a good thing in my opinion. Can't please everybody. He is developing a bit of a fanbase now, but obviously there will be a majority of YMCMB and Odd Future fans who dislike him because of his Lil Wayne/Tyler disses. I don't mind Tyler to be honest, but his beats can sometimes be difficult to listen to and Hopsin is far more lyrical.

For me, Eminem is still the best in the world by far. His earlier stuff is better, but still nobody can touch him in terms of flow and lyrics. I'm a big fan of Plan B, but he is really the only British rapper I'm into (although I like a bit of Devlin and P Money. Wretch 32 is my guilty pleasure. Wouldn't consider them to be on par with any of the other rappers I'm listing though). Other than those - Nas, Childish Gambino, J Cole, Kendrick Lamarr. And others.

Chris Brown lastest effort is not r'n'b. That is full on pop music.

I am a fan of Odd Future and it seems Hopsin is going the same way as them. By that I mean, whilst getting hate he is developing a very loyal fanbase. I mean Odd Future Volume 2 went to no.5 in the billbaord chart without any radio or air time.

Eminem is not the best in the world right now and hasn't been for some time. But it is hard to say who is. Arguably with Nas finding some form, he has become the best but then Kendrick Lamar has been killing every song he has been in. But Rick Ross has been running the hip-hop game for a while now, but eventually he will fall off.

Chris Brown lastest effort is not r'n'b. That is full on pop music.

I am a fan of Odd Future and it seems Hopsin is going the same way as them. By that I mean, whilst getting hate he is developing a very loyal fanbase. I mean Odd Future Volume 2 went to no.5 in the billbaord chart without any radio or air time.

Eminem is not the best in the world right now and hasn't been for some time. But it is hard to say who is. Arguably with Nas finding some form, he has become the best but then Kendrick Lamar has been killing every song he has been in. But Rick Ross has been running the hip-hop game for a while now, but eventually he will fall off.

That's what I mean. Chris Brown used to be r'n'b. Now he has totally sold himself out like most mainstream artists are doing, including Usher. Confessions was actually a decent album, but his latest offering is well below-par.

I can't disagree with your second point.

Recovery wasn't near the standard of Eminem's first couple of albums, but I still think it's miles ahead of any other rapper out there. I know there are people who disagree, but I'm sticking by that. Nobody can match his lyrics. Nas is definitely the closest to doing so.

Rick Ross running the hip-hop game? He couldn't run 10 metres. Fat b*****d.

I always have trouble differentiating between Hip Hop and Rap, is there a difference?

People that I listen to who I reckon might fall into this thread would be Cypress Hill(first two albums especially), Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, House of Pain(first album), NWA, Dre and Ice T(more Body Count tbh)

If I'm wrong and they shouldn't be here then I apologize.

I've always thought that rapping was just a form of vocals, and hip-hop was a genre of music.

So the likes of Professor Green who make pop music could be considered rappers, but not hip-hop artists. No?

Edited by dane-don

I've always thought that rapping was just a form of vocals, and hip-hop was a genre of music.

So the likes of Professor Green who make pop music could be considered rappers, but not hip-hop artists. No?

Hip-hop is the whole culture...break dancing, beat boxing, dj-ing and mc-ing, graffiti, etc. Rapping is purely the rhyming.

• 4 weeks later...

Another recommendation for people is Slaughterhouse's new album, 'Welcome To: Our House'. They are a rap collective recently signed up to Shady Records, consisting of Royce Da 5'9, Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz and Crooked I. Some decent lyricism in there, particularly from Crooked in my opinion, and also some 'sick' beats. ;) Pretty good album all round.

A$AP Mobs "Lord$ Never Worry" is decent. Some good songs on there. Highlights being Thuggin Noise and Bath Salts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCtRQlJAqM

Also, lots of good releases still to come this year. Mainly, "Cruel Summer" by G.O.O.D Music, "Food and Liquior 2: The Great American Rap Album" by Lupe Fiasco and "good kid, m.A.A.d city" by Kendrick Lamar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does aynyone know what song the instrumental from Oldie by Odd Future is sampled from. Or any song that samples that instrumental?

I remember hearing a brilliant song a few months ago and I'm 85% sure it was this beat in the background. All I remember from the song is there was regular "Yeah, Yeah" 's in it.

Cheers if anyone knows.

Hate all the new shite. Old school is where it's at: Grandmadter Melle Mel and The Furious Five, Treacherous Three, Kurtis Blow, Afrika Bambaataa and The Soul Sonic Force, etc etc. Proper hip-hop and electro before the money took over and it was all about the scene and the '4 Elements'.

• 2 months later...

Check out this tune from Glasgow rhymer Mista Bohze. Apart from the references to Celtic v Barca, Ledley and Kayal, it's a quality hip hop tune.

Disclaimer: don't listen to if you like all the commercial chart pish.