Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

What can the footballing authorities do to resolve the problem?

Dock points. 3 points every time banned songs are sung... how many times were certain songs sung against hibs. Imagine your team were deducted 9 points.. how many of your fans would kick the living shit out or anyone daft enough to try singing banned songs again

Racism is serious business, best leave that to the police.

What can the footballing authorities do to resolve the problem?

Points deduction is an option available to them. "Rangers" would have no option but to eradicate that behaviour or get relegated on negative points.

Punishing the club hurts the scum that follow it too.

Dock points. 3 points every time banned songs are sung... how many times were certain songs sung against hibs. Imagine your team were deducted 9 points.. how many of your fans would kick the living shit out or anyone daft enough to try singing banned songs again

Won't everyone just get a Rangers jersey and start singing sectarian songs, just to get their points deducted?

Won't everyone just get a Rangers jersey and start singing sectarian songs, just to get their points deducted?

Do you think that anyone would be stupid enough to risk arrest and jail time in order to see Rangers docked points?

I don't think there is much common ground between the Vanguard Bears and Graham Spiers Spiers on Sport: Rangers must uphold progress by resisting return of 'the old songs'

2:05pm Wednesday 30th December 2015

Rangers FC, in whatever guise you recognise it in the post-2012 period, has made considerable strides to eradicate bigotry around the club.

Whereas as recently as 10 years ago – and it really was excruciating – Ibrox Stadium resounded to sectarian chants, in more recent times the atmosphere has been cleaned up, with erstwhile dodgy songs adored by many Rangers fans being put on the back burner.

It would be totally wrong to ignore this progress at Rangers. I remember the summer of 2006 when Paul Le Guen arrived at the club. Ibrox was mired in “fans issues” and bigotry, and Le Guen was utterly perplexed by it all.

One of the first things the Frenchman had to do was take part in initiatives set up by the club, begging Rangers fans to stop singing these songs.

To a large degree, many of these measures worked. Rangers made significant progress in quelling its bigoted sentiment, and the club made great strides in the years ahead. Ibrox, I believe, in time became a much healthier place in which to watch your football.

The Billy Boys, an anti-Catholic anthem beloved of Ibrox, was put on mute. Indeed, for a number of seasons it seemed to disappear completely, at least at Rangers home games. This, surely, was progress.

But few of us had any illusions about it. More than once I’ve been told that, if you venture onto a Glasgow subway train with travelling Rangers fans, their old anthems can be given quite an airing. The old songs appeared to have survived and thrived, being sung with gusto whenever a more guarded context will allow.

And then there were these occasional public eruptions of it, such as at the infamous 2011 League Cup final at Hampden, when some of the choral stuff exhumed by the Rangers support that day took us back to a pre-Enlightenment period.

It is staggering, in this day and age, to hear stuff about Catholics, ******s, *****s, the Pope and the rest emanating from thousands of people. It is as baffling as it is sad.

Now this Rangers FC board – and I am not convinced by their mettle on this issue – faces a fresh test.

At Ibrox this week we heard a further eruption of what might euphemistically be called the “old songs”. It was another example, amid all the progress that Rangers have made, of the cap being blown off, and of some Rangers fans getting back into the party mood in the way they like best.

Social media was very interesting following that Rangers-Hibs game on Monday afternoon. Setting aside some preposterous stuff from the Rangers Supporters Trust, who were in full denial mode, there were a number of Rangers fans openly lamenting the re-emergence of these songs, and condemning them.

I have said this often enough: there is a new generation of Rangers supporter that the club should nurture and cultivate. They want nothing to do with this old obsession with “******s”. They are modern, decent, football-loving fans who love the game and love their club.

Rangers need to embrace these supporters, and leave to one side those others – including some official fan groups – who said after the Hibs match (I paraphrase): “Well done, lads, terrific stuff, great atmosphere, great to hear the old songs…”

Will this Rangers FC board, as has been required in previous years, step up to the plate? I hope so, though I doubt it.

I write as a journalist who has been banned by Rangers. None of that aspect bothers me. Football clubs sometimes do these daft things. I want nothing but the best for Rangers as they ascend towards the Ladbrokes Premiership. Indeed, I want Rangers challenging for the Premiership title as quickly as their football will allow.

But when Stewart Robertson, the new Rangers managing-director, informed me of my press ban, I would say his demeanour was that of someone somewhat embarrassed by the action being taken.

I do not believe Mr Robertson is anything other than a decent man – but his pitiful reasons for my ban, which included my past criticisms of Rangers over bigotry issues, sounded distinctly unconvincing.

It also doesn’t help right now that at least one member of the current Rangers board thinks that The Billy Boys is a tremendous song. This being the case, the club may well go backwards, not forwards.

On their dreaded songs issue, I hope this Rangers board go forward, not backward. I hope they are pro-active, not passive. I hope they acknowledge a potential threat, and don’t lapse into denial.

But, frankly, I’ll believe it when I see it. Banning writers who write about the issue is an ominous start.

It is now 39 years since Willie Waddell, then the Rangers general-manager, made an on-field public declaration which signalled an end to Rangers FC’s old anti-Catholic policy. I was there that day at Ibrox as a 12-year-old kid, though the fuss then was beyond me.

It remains my belief that, taking that day as a starting point, it will take 50 years for Rangers to fully flush out its bigoted baggage. There are pitfalls along that long road, as we witnessed again this week, but at least the journey is being taken.

There has been real progress made at Rangers in recent years. Mr Robertson and your ilk, please don’t slow it down.

This is what should happen.

It would genuinely put a stop to it extremely quickly.

Utterly ridiculous.

Sometimes, I feel myself getting annoyed by such stuff, but the correct response really is laughter, combined perhaps with a pinch of pity.

These people are essentially thick. The grammar of the article alone, tells us that. They were once however allowed to express some spurious sense of superiority.

Society has changed though, and that expression is no longer allowed. I suppose it must be bewildering and scary for them.

This actually has nothing to do with Rangers - these nutters are well beyond the pale. I do think however that everything should be done to let them know that no football club in this country can be used as a vehicle for such sentiment. It's Rangers' problem (and to a considerably lesser extent, their fault) that such people attach their cause to them. Every effort should be made to thoroughly disenfranchise them.

Why not? Clubs have been punished for the behaviour of their supporters away from home before.

They have, but its not going to stop it. Banned fans have ways of getting hold of tickets to away games.

If certain fans have been banned by their club from Ibrox for singing sectarian songs that they deem as part of their history and culture then they will be of the opinion that the club is in the wrong and those that are running the club are weak and have given in. Some of these Rangers supporters are already calling the Directors cowards for yesterday's statement. Those so called supporters and I'm calling them the hardcore knuckle draggers will believe their way of life is threatened and will react just as they did when their club went down the shitter. They will see singing the BB as an act of defiance and if it hurts the club then that's persecution by the authorities and not their responsibility, in any case its their club, it doesn't belong to the directors or money men.

So what ever the league or the SFA do it will make little difference to those people and the club will take the hit for it again and again as the old club did. We should already know that these people are incapable of being educated we can take for example how many times the club has been fined and supporters banned from attending games in Europe and it has never stopped them. They end up in jail, big fine, community service, so what... it comes with the territory, they are defending their way of life, their club, a bit of jail time won't stop them.

I think Rangers are in for one battle if they try to alienate a large part of their support and the club will need the help of the decent football fan and or the supporters groups to make it work .

Now I'm away to use some eyewash.

Edited by CityDave

They have, but its not going to stop it. Banned fans have ways of getting hold of tickets to away games.

If certain fans have been banned by their club from Ibrox for singing sectarian songs that they deem as part of their history and culture then they will be of the opinion that the club is in the wrong and those that are running the club are weak and have given in. Some of these Rangers supporters are already calling the Directors cowards for yesterday's statement. Those so called supporters and I'm calling them the hardcore knuckle draggers will believe their way of life is threatened and will react just as they did when their club went down the shitter. They will see singing the BB as an act of defiance and if it hurts the club then that's persecution by the authorities and not their responsibility, in any case its their club, it doesn't belong to the directors or money men.

So what ever the league or the SFA do it will make little difference to those people and the club will take the hit for it again and again as the old club did. We should already know that these people are incapable of being educated we can take for example how many times the club has been fined and supporters banned from attending games in Europe and it has never stopped them. They end up in jail, big fine, community service, so what... it comes with the territory, they are defending their way of life, their club, a bit of jail time won't stop them.

I think Rangers are in for one battle if they try to alienate a large part of their support and the club will need the help of the decent football fan and or the supporters groups to make it work .

Now I'm away to use some eyewash.

I think you're overstating the resilience of such types.

Do you think that anyone would be stupid enough to risk arrest and jail time in order to see Rangers docked points?

Tbh, when it comes to stupidity of some football supporters, nothing would surprise me.

Obviously it was a lighthearted reply, obviously everyone won't start wearing Rangers shirts, comical as that would be.

But that idea is a non starter, you can't encourage football supporters to lynch each other and kick the living shit out of each other, because someone would do something stupid, and it would end badly.

Clubs should be fined, some people should be banned from grounds, but ultimately the heavy lifting and physical enforcement has to be left to police, not to lynch mob.

There was a Celtic fan not so long ago who ran on to the pitch during one of our European games and had some sort of pope protest, his intention to get Rangers fined.