Roberto Martinez

Marshmallo

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldnt understand why Celtic got rid of him.

I suspect he moved for a lot more money than Celtic were offering him.

Remember - this is what the fans wanted. :lol: An end to these Scottish diddies like Caldwell and Robson who were lumbering about, holding the team back. Once Anthony came in and cleared Strachan's decks with foreign talent, it was going to be onwards and upwards - according to the fools on this board :lol:

They were told, but they wouldn't listen. And lo! what has come to pass has been delicious...

Actually taht is spot on, I seem to remember a lo0t of chat about "Caldwell not being worth x" amonut when Mowbray was boss, as he was negotiating a new deal.

Actually taht is spot on, I seem to remember a lo0t of chat about "Caldwell not being worth x" amonut when Mowbray was boss, as he was negotiating a new deal.

Yes, there was general disbelief that he was being offered something paltry by Premiership terms, which was more than the £2.50/week Celtic tried to negotiate with.

Still, Kelvin Wilson is there now, so Celtic have clearly traded up :lol:

"My agent went in and asked for figures which weren't anything near the highest-paid player at the club," the central defender told BBC Sport. "They were on a par with the players who are playing week in, week out, which I have done now over the last four years.

"I've proved I'm an asset to the football club and we asked for figures which fell in line with that.

"If the club say that's too much then I think they are kidding themselves on that they can pay others a lot more than they can pay me."

Caldwell feels that his club do not rate him as highly as top earners such as Artur Boruc and Scott Brown.

"That's their opinion of me as a footballer and we have to move on.

"I need to know what is happening. If the contract runs out, it runs out. That's life and you have to move on.

"It's something the club will have to answer to because I don't know."

The Scottish Premier League Player of the Year in 2008-2009 is sure to have his admirers in England but Caldwell still wants to remain north of the border.

"Allowing my contract to run down could probably be good for me financially, but I have a young family and we want to stay in Scotland with Celtic," he concluded.

Remember - this is what the fans wanted. :lol: An end to these Scottish diddies like Caldwell and Robson who were lumbering about, holding the team back. Once Anthony came in and cleared Strachan's decks with foreign talent, it was going to be onwards and upwards - according to the fools on this board :lol:

They were told, but they wouldn't listen. And lo! what has come to pass has been delicious...

The change in Celtic's transfer policy is for the better IMO, I don't think you can seriously believe that Barry Robson is a better player than Wanyama or Kayal for example. The problem Celtic have is they are being managed by a total diddy.

No one would ever say Barry Robson is a better player than Wanyama or Kayal surely?

I certainly would. Barry Robson is performing at a really high level in the championship. He achieved far more in his Celtic fcareer than either of those two have threatened to either, and he did a lot of his work in the Champions League.

I am pretty astonished anyone doesn't think Barry Robson is a better player than either of those two. Particularly Wanyama.

he did a lot of his work in the Champions League.

Yes and No. Robspon scored at Parkhead agasinst soem no marks called Barcelona in the CL last 16 on his Celtic European debut, but his career afterwards saw a last place finish in the CL, including missing a penalty against Aalborg.

he scored a decent free kick in the EL groups under Mowbray as well.

I liked Robson, Him and Hartley were key in securing Strachan;s thrid title.

He had close to a decade on wanyama and kayal upon signing for Celtic, the former two don't even seem clear as to what their best roles actually are.

Yes and No. Robspon scored at Parkhead agasinst soem no marks called Barcelona in the CL last 16 on his Celtic European debut, but his career afterwards saw a last place finish in the CL, including missing a penalty against Aalborg.

He was instrumental in one of Strachan's title wins. The one where celtic came from behind, including that last gasp win at Celtic Park against Rangers.

Barry Robson's performances at the heart of midfield over the last 10 games of that season were immense.

There's little question that Robson at his best for Celtic has been far far more impressive than Wanyama and Kayal. Not that they are bad players.

Barry Robson has been excellent for us this season, as he has been the majority of the time he's been at the 'boro, and he'll be a big loss when he leaves in the summer. Personally, I'd prefer him to Wanyama or Kayal, despite his advanced years.

On topic, Roberto Martinez seems to be doing a pretty decent job at Wigan, as he did at Swansea, and I'd imagine in the next few years he'll be given the opportunity to manage a bigger club, where I'd also imagine he'd do a good job.

I like him. He's stuck by what he believes and it's probably going to pay off for him again. He also gets rid of the myth that nice guys can't be good managers. It's only a matter of time before he gets a much bigger job.

I liked Robson, Him and Hartley were key in securing Strachan;s thrid title.

This. Scott Brown's time out eventually proved to be a total blessing that season, as the enforced changes ensured even more dig in the centre of midfield (not to mention some form of passing ability, and more options for set-pieces). Also, I can't think of a much better way to introduce yourself to a new support than putting the ball in the top corner with your first touch of the ball (it may have been a free-kick, but it was very well taken). I remember getting pelters off some folk on here for defending the general contribution of the likes of Hartley, Robson, McDonald and Caldwell (granted not early on, especially in his time at right-back).

I still fucking love Barry Robson's reaction when he scores that penalty in the 3-2 OF game :lol: ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKXjF0HwE5E&feature=related

Like I've posted up before (or at least I've put up something similar), by punting that set of players, Mowbray pretty much ripped the spine (and heart) out of that team.

That "nothing club" honed the talents of the James's, giving McCarthy his debut aged 15, when he clearly wasn't really ready. We are doing much the same as your club are doing except we weren't forced into it financially.

Not a lot of mentions of McCarthy and McArthur on this thread or indeed last night's match thread. A Wigan fan today on SSN highlighted their inclusion recently as being a very significant reason for their turnaround, even going as far as to call them the best midfield duo in the Premiership in the last few weeks. Both played the full 90 in wins over Liverpool, Man Utd and last night. When Wigan were losing eight in a row earlier in the season, McArthur was on the bench mostly, although he did come on to set up the winning goal at Sunderland. The Latics Speyk site had a very intersting thread on the pair.

As for Connor Sammon, he plays his part. He had a great run against Man Utd and did a fine job last night. Most of his appearances have been from the bench.

I don't care what anyone says , Accies don't get anything close to the credit they deserve for finding and honing the talents of McArthur or McCarthy.

The results Wigan have enjoyed recently with those two in the side are nothing short of incredible. Both players are a credit to themselves, Hamilton Accies and Scottish football in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived