Mad Men

The thing is, every character in it is an asshole, with very little positive going for them, but its an ad agency so that's kinda the point.

Very harsh assessment. Every character has their good points and their bad points, and there are few blacks and whites.

(The closest thing to an exception is Betty, whose characterisation has become a bit too close to cariacature, particularly during the fourth series.)

Very harsh assessment. Every character has their good points and their bad points, and there are few blacks and whites.

(The closest thing to an exception is Betty, whose characterisation has become a bit too close to cariacature, particularly during the fourth series.)

I find them all thoroughly unlikeable. There was some sympathy for Peggy earlier, but she's a bit of a cow as well now. You're right in that some of them have some good points, but on the whole they are petty much dicks imo. Again, I kinda thought that was the point.

would anyone else do Peggy? She looked quite nice in latest episode

Meeeeeh, she's alright, just poor in comparison when you've got Joan and Mrs Draper kicking about

This week's is a belter.

(Betty Draper / Francis is not more attractive than Peggy, btw, though that might be influenced by the characters as much as the actresses.)

(Trudy Campbell, on the other hand ... )

Cracking episode this week, funnier than usual I thought, broke up some of the usual tension.

I noticed in the opening credits that John Slattery (Roger Sterling) was directing it. He done a very good job I think, not sure if this was the first episode in which he has done so.

Cracking episode this week, funnier than usual I thought, broke up some of the usual tension.

I noticed in the opening credits that John Slattery (Roger Sterling) was directing it. He done a very good job I think, not sure if this was the first episode in which he has done so.

i thought it was a bit ott. the mirror stuff with the doors opening and the fade outs and ins were a bit distracting.

i said a couple of weeks ago that pete will never be happy no matter how he achieves and that's was at the forefront of that episode. he wants everything that other people have then when he gets it he can't enjoy it.

megan is still well on top of don at the moment. he's a bit to passive at the moment though and the noose and the suicide comment were both a bit worrying. i don't think don will kill himself but he might kill don. we're in the eye of the storm at the moment, i think the shit is going to hit the fan before long.

the season opened with water ballons being chucked out a window and there has been another couple of references to things going out the office windows. i wouldn't be suprised to see someone taking the quick way to the street before the end of this run and i'd say pete, roger, lane and sally are the favourites.

Edited by T_S_A_R

the season opened with water ballons being chucked out a window and there has been another couple of references to things going out the office windows. i wouldn't be suprised to see someone taking the quick way to the street before the end of this run and i'd say pete, roger, lane and sally are the favourites.

My money would be on Betty, Roger or Petes wife. Surely the hints from Don won't come to pass, this has got at least 1 more season in it after this and they can't kill off the main character.

Lol in that episode where joan's husband came back, he must have known they wouldn't have any more scenes so when he comes back he just face dives into her tits and has a bit of a motorboat.

roger giving his missus her P45 is surely nudging us towards him and joan and the wean shacking up. i'm not sure how long his new perspective will last though, eventually you forget what it was that you think you had figured out.

don chasing megan round the apartment was scary. up until now don has been happy playing at being married thinking he had it figured out second time around and things were going well because megan 'likes everything' and was playing the role of don's wife brilliantly. now she obvioulsy wants a bit more independence so we'll see if don can give her the space and more ominiously what he'll do with the space that opens up for him.

in a way the end of the episode was like the trip don has been on since disneyland ending, every day at the office has been like the last of school. now he's got a wife who is more complicated than he wants to deal with and auld bert telling him to get his arse in gear professionally. the pyschiatrist at the dinner party was talking about people repeating mistakes. i think don is about to fall into his old habits.

I've just started this, on the 3rd disc of season 1, not a lot happening so far, I'm guessing things will start to spice up soon?

Nope. The whole beauty of Mad Men is that nothing ever does actually happen, but at the same time everything happens. Every action and line has ramifications further on, sometime several series later. Just appreciate the subtle characterisation.

I am enjoying it to be fair, I don't know why as there isn't really much action happening but I still feel the need to watch episode after episode.

Once you're a series in, you will learn to love the characters like they were your own family. Even Pete.

in a way the end of the episode was like the trip don has been on since disneyland ending, every day at the office has been like the last of school. now he's got a wife who is more complicated than he wants to deal with and auld bert telling him to get his arse in gear professionally. the pyschiatrist at the dinner party was talking about people repeating mistakes. i think don is about to fall into his old habits.

I heard a rumour that this series will see Don develop a serious alcohol addiction. Well, more serious than he has had all the way through the programme. One that requires him to seek help. Remember Duck?