whisky lovers

Was on a whisky field trip yesterday to Aberfeldy, Blair Athol and Robertson’s Whisky Shop in Pitlochry (Ewan there is a top guy and is happy to share samples).

Aberfeldy is a great visitor experience. 6 drams in the tasting of which the 25 year old Dewars blend was a very pleasant surprise. The 18 year old Brackla special edition also very good. Unfortunately the “straight from the cask” 28 year old Aberfeldy was way too dry and heavy on the Sherry for my liking and with a bit of sulphur. 

Blair Athol was consistent with other Diageo distilleries I’ve visited, which is to say the experience was consistently poor. A very dull tasting, where out of 5 drams the Talisker distillers edition was the standout. The host was ok, but far more interested in getting us to the shop ASAP than making the experience fun/entertaining or informative.

Ended up with an indie 13 year old Craigellechie from Robertson’s to take home. 

Edited by Munter

3 hours ago, Munter said:

Blair Athol was consistent with other Diageo distilleries I’ve visited, which is to say the experience was consistently poor. A very dull tasting, where out of 5 drams the Talisker distillers edition was the standout. The host was ok, but far more interested in getting us to the shop ASAP than making the experience fun/entertaining or informative.

Ended up with an indie 13 year old Craigellechie from Robertson’s to take home. 

He took the huff because I told him Alltdour doesn't mean burn of the otter in Gaelic at all.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Excellent selection, our shelves have a lot in common!

I've never seen the American Craft Ale cask on my travels over there. Intrigued by that one.

Thanks! Glad to hear you've got some Bunna on the shelf too. Any favourites? The craft cask was a distillery shop buy pre-pandemic. Not one of their pricier offerings and quite light. I don't think they had it this year but as you probably know there are usually several distillery only fills in the shop. I stupidly bought the Manzanilla finish on site this year as I hadn't seen it before but turns out I could have bought it online. Should have bought the white label Cote du Rotie cask instead. First world problems, I suppose...

1 hour ago, wellfan09 said:

Anyone sampled the £15.99 Lidl peated blend? Keeps catching my eye at the checkout during the weekly shop but not took the plunge yet incase its shite

No, but you should buy and review on here. Little to lose!

8 hours ago, Munter said:

Yes. Have had one on the go for about 5 years now using an old bottle of Hibiki 17 which with the labels removed makes an excellent recycled decanter. 

Over time it has ebbed and flowed from pretty much undrinkable, to amazing and back again. It’s great fun, a real talking point and interesting to experiment with the various additions. 

My top tip is avoid starting with anything too peaty. I had about 20% Octomore in my first blend and it destroyed any other flavours in the mix! Oh and keep a wee note of everything you put in, it’s really interesting to look back on

Thanks. I realised I was late to the party but wanted to see if it was worth doing. Tbh I've got more American whiskeys just now so I'll have a bash with those. An empty Highland Park 12 bottle is waiting to take on the job. I shall report!

20 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone at the Falkirk Whisky Social lastnight? My first time at one of these things and really enjoyed it. New make spirit distilled on Thursday at Falkirk Distillery was total rocket fuel!

Is this at the new rosebank? Is it a monthly thing?

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na its the one thats usually in Larbert but they couldnt get the Dobbie Hall booked this year. 

Ah like an annual one, wasn’t aware Larbert had one. I have tickets booked for next April for Alloa town Hall for a whisky festival, as soon as Alloa looks presentable then I know I will have had too much.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Bottom pic middle right (moine oloroso) is one of my favourite drams of all time. I stupidly didn’t buy another when I realised just how much I love it. Just realised I need more Bunna in my life.

It's one of my all-time faves too.  So thick it's almost like syrup. I have one more bottle set aside; they were really hard to find at the time.

7 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Speaking of Bunna love, they're releasing a 12yo cask strength but the RRP is £75. Assuming it's still a must buy? @V.Aye.R was mumping about the price. 

It is extracting the urine tbf. 

Made something thats got everyone excited, but £15-20 too high. 

Will it sell out? Yes. 

Is it very cynically priced? Yes. 

Watch how much springbank 12 CS sells for at RRP. A distiller with integrity and respect for its customers. 

14 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

It is extracting the urine tbf. 

Made something thats got everyone excited, but £15-20 too high. 

Will it sell out? Yes. 

Is it very cynically priced? Yes. 

Watch how much springbank 12 CS sells for at RRP. A distiller with integrity and respect for its customers. 

I don't disagree with you that £75 is an awful lot for a 12 year old, but if it's a limited run and cask strength then it's not miles over.  The problem is that if, as you say, it will sell out easily, then why should they charge less?  They're a business after all.  Aberlour a'bunadh sells out at £80 these days.

27 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I don't disagree with you that £75 is an awful lot for a 12 year old, but if it's a limited run and cask strength then it's not miles over.  The problem is that if, as you say, it will sell out easily, then why should they charge less?  They're a business after all.  Aberlour a'bunadh sells out at £80 these days.

I'd be giving both a wide bearth tbh.

Even ignoring the massive recession on the horizon, it just isn't logical to pay nearly double the price for 19% more alcohol in the bottle. 

I'm sure its great though, just better options out there. 

Edit

.....and ill just have some of @CountyFan 's for free

Edited by V.Aye.R
Extra info