whisky lovers

Two daft questions I've got.

Anyone ever tried Passport whisky? We make the bottles at work and it's the first time I've ever heard of it. Saying that there's a lot of whisky which I never knew existed until I started making them.

Also I was over at my mates for a party yesterday and we got talking about the whisky we like. He then mentioned a bottle of Springbank which was given to each crew member onboard HMS Campbeltown when they went to the second gulf war. It's in the back of a cupboard at his dad's house and I think he's now thinking of seeing how much it is worth. Any idea if it's worth anything?

Got a bottle of talisker storm which in enjoying the now (sorry first post on here, long time stalker) anybody any thoughts on that? Really like talisker, highland park, or jura. But being from Campbeltown (see worst towns in scotland thread lol) i dont drink springbank/longrow dont really enjoy it.

The guy who said that 'there is no such thing as a bad whisky' must not have tried Tobermorey.

I'm a Talisker lover myself, I also like trying to find out what distilery the Supermarket own brand single malts are......most I have tried are excellent and at least £10 cheaper than standard.

The guy who said that 'there is no such thing as a bad whisky' must not have tried Tobermorey.

I'm a Talisker lover myself, I also like trying to find out what distilery the Supermarket own brand single malts are......most I have tried are excellent and at least £10 cheaper than standard.

I wouldn't class it as one of my favourite distilleries but I opened the 20yo sherry cask Tobermory that I bought the other day and it's brilliant. The Ledaig 16yo Sherry cask was even better.

I think I'm right in saying that M&S's is Deanston, which is a perfectly nice dram. Maybe on the boring side, but very pleasant.

Got a bottle of talisker storm which in enjoying the now (sorry first post on here, long time stalker) anybody any thoughts on that? Really like talisker, highland park, or jura. But being from Campbeltown (see worst towns in scotland thread lol) i dont drink springbank/longrow dont really enjoy it.

I don't think the talisker storm is all that great. The 10 yo is better and cheaper and if you spend an extra 15 quid you can get the 57 degrees north which is superb.

The Tesco islay is really good. I would swear it's caol isla but others say lagavulin. Their speyside is rank, I thought it was close to glenrothes.

I really like tobermory.

I won a bottle of The MacPhails collection, 30 year old Highland Park in a raffle a year ago. Anyone any idea if that's worth anything? Or anything interesting about it? I know bugger all about whisky!!

It's a collection from different distilleries that was bottled by Gordon and macphail of Elgin. I don't think you could retire on it. The only bottle I can find at auction went for 175.

Met the nicest old man outside Tobermory distillery a month past. Was pushing the wee man along in his pram, stopped to watch the storm water racing down this burn, and he stopped to tell me a bit about his town. Lovely guy. Mostly irrelevant to this thread, but Mull has awfully nice locals!

Anyway, bought a Ledaig 10yo that day. Intend to open tonight. Believe there is a wee kick of peat or smoke in there?

And have just booked another week in Islay. Last time cost me a bloody fortune in whisky tokens! This time intend to visit Caol Ila only, which was shut for refit last time. But I may weaken my resolve at the sight and smell of Lagavulin....

I went to pour from an Ardberg that I've had for a few years and the cork snapped.

I'm blaming you lot!

Presuming 'Ardberg' isn't a cheap knockoff (:P), it's funny you say this as I had this same issue with an Ardbeg Uigeadail a couple of weeks ago. Coincidence?

First time it's happened and not what you want in a £60 bottle. Corkscrew came to the rescue with no bits falling in thankfully.

Bought a bottle of Aberlour 10 this week after trying numerous Speyside's in Banff a couple of months back and picking this as my favourite.

Mortlach is probably my pick of the Speyside bunch.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Seeing as there isn't a Brandy Lovers thread that I'm aware of, I might as well ask this here.

What do the initials 'VSOP' stand for, as seen on most brandy bottles?

Back on the whisky front, I bought a bottle of Black Grouse the other day.

Not bad for those who like the peaty stuff.

Has anyone tried the 18 year old glen Marnoch single malt currently in Aldi?

Bought a bottle at the weekend for £30.

There's also a 24 year old at £50 although a quick Google search in the aisle didn't rate the 24 year old.

I have heard the 18 year old is a decent drop but they have put the price up 10 quid in recent years. For 30 I would rather know what I'm drinking and you can get some excellent whisky below 30 in the run up to Xmas.

I have heard the 18 year old is a decent drop but they have put the price up 10 quid in recent years. For 30 I would rather know what I'm drinking and you can get some excellent whisky below 30 in the run up to Xmas.

You're probably right, but nothing ventured and all that.

I'm into a bottle of tomartin legacy just now so will crack open the glen Marnoch at new years and report back.

Got a sneaky wee £20 off my Gran for Christmas.

So picked up a bottle of 12 year old Glenlivet from Morrisons for £22. Quite the bargain in my eyes.

Totally agree. I was surprised to see a few people on here slag Glenlivet, it's one of my favourites especially for that kind of price.