What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Eastern Promises

Un-needed gore ? Must be time for David Cronenberg. Once again, it's a fairly good story for a Cronenberg movie, but the guy just can't seem to keep a lid on the completely un-necessary crap. However, for all of the talk against the needless crap, the scene in the baths is about as amazing a scene as you're likely to see in a film this year. It's a not bad movie regardless of my complaints against it.

6/10

Dead Silence - 4/10

Hard to believe that Leigh Whannel and James Wan made this bollocks!

Whilst the film was watchable it was the most illogical plot ever, in which to make it sense they did a brief 1 minute explanation at the end, which just made me burst out laughing cos it was so far-fetched!

watched descent the other night - horror/thriller about adrenaline junkies going to some caves - was quite good in points but it turns out there was more of a monster element than necessary(a la Sunshine). if it had been done without that it would have been much better.

7/10.

American Gangster

This movie takes an age to get going. When it does get going, it sort of sneaks up on you. Because of that, the movie actually comes across as pretty good, even with the very slow first half. However, if Crowe gets nominated for an Oscar for his performance, it'll be shocking, as he put on a much better performance in 3:10 To Yuma. Denzel had a far better performance here though, and could very well earn his. Overall, if you can stand a movie that takes a long time to get to the point, then you'll be able to take this.

6/10

Before watching the film I'd heard it being referred to as "The Black Godfather" but it was nothing of the kind, it was engrossing without being action packed and you always knew where you were with the story unfolding. The ending was a bit like the De Niro/Pacino scene from "Heat" and there were other gangster movie influences like the nightclub scenes (Goodfellas) and the church scenes montaged with blood and guts flying everywhere (Godfather)

I agree that the movie is very methodically paced but disagree about Crowe's performance, I thought it was excellent as he almost always is (although the divorce scenes with his wife seemed overlong)

I'd give it 7/10

Control

Now i really like Joy Division but i was beginning to fear about this film for 3 reasons:

1. Because I was really annoyed by a clip for it where the caption said "The Coolest Film Of The Year"
  2. The whole Manchester/Madchester thing seems to be featured on the Culture Show every bloody week in a rather smug way
  3. It has Samantha Morton in it

Despite all of this, it's tremendous. Obviously the music's beyond question, especially as it's being played live and really well. It's also amazingly shot, really grim and occassionally really funny (Q"where's my twenty quid?" A"in my fuckoff pocket").

8.5/10

Edited by RayBees

Went to see the Darjeeling Limited. Wont be everyone's bag but if you like films replete in strong characterisation, slightly quirky with little plot development eg Lost In Translation, Royal Tenenbaums etc then you'll like this.

Usually I would say 8/10 but an extra half for the gorgeous Indian girl in it (it's a weakness :ph34r:)

Went to see the Darjeeling Limited. Wont be everyone's bag but if you like films replete in strong characterisation, slightly quirky with little plot development eg Lost In Translation, Royal Tenenbaums etc then you'll like this.

Usually I would say 8/10 but an extra half for the gorgeous Indian girl in it (it's a weakness :ph34r:)

I went to see this last week. Very good film. 8.5/10

I just love Adrien Brody and the Indian girl was particularly stunning! ;)

Das Boot - 10+/10

Probably the greatest Anti-War movie ever made, tend to stop before the last 5 minutes as I blub like a bairn during that final scene.

I went to see this last week. Very good film. 8.5/10

I just love Adrien Brody and the Indian girl was particularly stunning! ;)

Did you agree with the half for the Indian girl? or would you give her one? :ph34r:

Adrien Brody just has one of those rubbery faces that lends itself to quirky characters. Even Owen Wilson wasnt too annoying! Great film. B)