What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Let The Right One In ( 2008 )

I wasn't sure if I had this one pegged right, so I gave it another shot.

I have no idea how the writers of this managed to pull it off. It's basically a love story between two kids. The rest is merely window dressing, but it should have been off putting and made us syphathise less with at least one of the protagonists. Except that I didn't lose any sympathy at all. I remained absolutely fascinated the entire way.

There ARE scenes of real horror here.

1. The woman going on fire when the blinds are open.

2. Eli dropping from the tree to turn said woman into a vampire.

3. The underpass killing.

4. The absolutely sensational climatic scenes in the swimming pool.

All of these are overtaken by

the kiss

This really is an amazing piece of work, and the only thing that brings the score down is the pace of things, which is needlessly slow at times, but that's a minor gripe with a movie as good as this.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

I love Danny Boyle's films, and there's a reason. He combines comedy with emotion perfectly.

Disappointing lack of zombies made up for a guy falling in the shite.

Perfect.

10/10

The Reader: 8/10

Overall pretty good. The first 30/45 minutes are very slow and pretty boring. It tries very, very hard to be an 'arty', 'European' type film which spoiled the beginning a little bit for me but when the main part of the story kicks in it was very interesting and quite thought provoking.

Don't think it would be an injustice if it picked up a couple of Oscars.

That Winslet bird certainly likes to get her kit off, great arse.

I also went to see this last night, and was very impressed. Very emotional story, yet nothing like Forrest Gump.

I'd give it 7/10.

Saw this with the missus on Friday night. It was enjoyable enough, don't get me wrong, btu only after you get over the fact it wants to be Forrest Gump and is a bit ridiculous at times. The point at which you know a film isn't going to get top marks though is when you look at your watch and think "How long has this been on for now?". Yes, it's far too long.

I'm still going to give it 7/10 but could've been better. It's certainly no Slumdug.

Frost/Nixon

For all that I thought it was impressively done for the most part, the fact that the totally fictitious late night phone call from Nixon to Frost was such a pivotal moment in the film, sat a bit uneasily with me. It went beyond artistic license.

The portrayal of Nixon was excellent though, and I couldn't help but sympathise a bit with the old rascal towards the end.

Pan's Labyrinth

Not at all what I was expecting. Excellent stuff though. 8/10.

If you haven't seen it yet, have a look for El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone) by the same guy. A brilliant ghost story set against the Spanish Civil War. Del Toro has said that he considers Pan's Labyrinth to be a sort of spiritual sequel to it.

Just watched Scarface for the first time in years, I'll give it a 9 'cos the soundtrack has aged terribly.