Smackdown Thread

Given that Goldberg seems to despise wrestling, and is unlikely to return...what are they doing with that? Given that Ryback has had Goldberg chants for ages, surely they must be aware of what they're doing? If they were building up to a match of some kind, fair enough, but that looks unlikely. What was wrong with a colourful singlet, large belt and weird sideless vest combo?

Also, Lesnar on Smackdown next week. On a scale of 1 to 10, how underwhelming a segment is he going to get? I bet it'll be Heyman talking, Brock standing, that's it. They love to do that.

Edited by forameus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If they allow Smackdown to operate without PG rules then it would maybe become worth watching. throw in more variety each week in terms of wrestlers as seems to be the same on repeat each week on RAW.

Dont think the Split is a good solution as last time didnt work so well.

I'm surprised they're announcing it like this.  A brand split could have been a brilliant storyline if it was treated as one.  Now it seems to be treated more like a business decision. 

It's going to be a good thing though.  At the moment it's just RAW-lite, with a number of rematches, but the brand split is going to make sure there is little chance of that.  It's going to be the only place you see certain wrestlers, and probably end up being a more focused show given they'll - presumably - only have two hours to fill.  I don't think it can really be a bad thing for Smackdown, but could be a knock to RAW.

In terms of titles, I wouldn't bring back the WHC, but I would look at the mid-card titles.  Split the United States and Intercontinental Titles across the two shows (give Smackdown the IC),  then give one show the tag titles, the other one the Womens.  That gives each show two titles to have regular feuds over, and lets them build up an identity.  You want to see Tag Team wrestling?  Go to RAW.  You want to see the Indy Darlings and their high flying offence?  Go to Smackdown.  Then have the WWE title sit across both shows.  Ideally you've got the champion on one show and the number one contender on the other, but it can shift around.  I'd probably like the Womens title to do the same, but not sure they've got the depth to split the women across two shows.

One out-there suggestion, why not bring back a title or two?  Maybe bring back the Cruiserweight title after their tournament, then - just as an example - the European title.  Or anything, even a new one.  You can then take out the two main titles (WWE and Womens), maybe even the same with the tag titles, and split the new across the shows.  I just feel like the way they treat the midcard titles currently, they wouldn't be able to sustain much interest in a show that only really had that title as an exclusive.

It all depends on who goes where though.  I'm looking forward to it.

How long is SD on for these days, 2 hours? Not watched it in years. Wonder if they will up that too? Hopefully not, really would struggle to fit in another two hours as it is if it becomes relevant viewing again. Probably be skimmable though.

Would imagine the tag titles and women's would be shared. US on Raw and IC on smackdown. Think they'll bring back the big gold belt. Am I the only one currently that thinks that the roster is too light for a split? Given the NXT guys will still be on NXT ?

I think the roster is too heavy in terms of numbers. Guys can't get a decent feud or story line going. Guys are just thrown together to get air time and end up as jobber heel teams. Look at Rhodes, Sandow, Ziggler, Barrett, Swagger, Rusev, Del Rio, Sheamus and even the Wyatts. So many guys can't get decent air time as it is nor do they get any decent story lines. It leads to wrestlers being released full of frustration.

That was without Rollins, Orton, Cesaro, Cena and a few more.

My concern is one brand becoming top heavy and the other brand suffering

Edited by diamond_for_life

They could well have the situation where the champions are the only floating roster members.

Forgive me if im just thick as mince here mate but my issues would be they would need 2 feuds for each champion at the same time. One for each show. If not it would mean the title would be redundant on one show till a feud is over.

Guest bernardblack

Buzzing for smackdown being live!

Honestly couldn't remember when I last watched it without spoilers....or watched it at all!

Cruiserweights back on Smackdown would be ace. We complain already about how dull the shows are right now. We have the same people wrestling each other constantly. With the roster being split is it going to get even worse for that? Booking needs to improve and I imagine there would be a good number of Cruiserweights signed and NXT call-ups to follow too to keep it fresh enough.