Smackdown Thread

My word, that's a heck of a promo. Great stuff from The Miz, he's been one of the most consistently entertaining characters for the past 18 months.

Daniel Bryan was the boy who got me back into the wrestling at the start of 2014 but he's been a dork since he's come back as General Manager. Good to see The Miz telling us what everyone knows already.

See when WWE do it right and you get that promo that teeters on the very brink of work and shoot, it's just sublime.

That's not manufactured from Miz, no-one has told him to go out and say that exactly word for word....that's coming straight from the heart there. He absolutely means it and lived and breathed that promo. Bryan has always had legitimate professional beef with Miz. His very first WWE appearance in NXT, where Miz was his mentor, he buried Miz on air because instead of ending up with William Regal as a mentor, like he wanted, he ended up with (paraphrasing here across maybe two or three promos)  'this guy.... a guy I've been in the business longer than and am better than' as he put it.

For Miz's part, credit to him for hanging on in there for so long and almost always staying relevant, I've never been a massive fan but I absolutely understand where he's coming from in that he seems to be the convenient whipping boy. His style, love it or hate it, has longevity for the sole reason that it isn't smash mouth stuff.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

See when WWE do it right and you get that promo that teeters on the very brink of work and shoot, it's just sublime.

That's not manufactured from Miz, no-one has told him to go out and say that exactly word for word....that's coming straight from the heart there. He absolutely means it and lived and breathed that promo.

Yup. And WWE love getting guys to just go out there and air that stuff. Vince McMahon has even had guys do it to him. The most notable version of that being the belter that Paul Heyman did on an episode of Smackdown before Survivor Series 2001. He probably was given direction. That direction being "go and be angry and tell him what you think".

You can't really have more effective promos than ones that aren't really just promos. It's just different when someone means what they say.

I finally got a chance to watch the promo, and the episode around it.  Definitely a good idea to have something like this to further angles, although CarmellaBella attack was a bit cringey with all the "is she ok" stuff that went on after it in complete silence.  Miz was absolutely brilliant, and they need to make more out of it.

Dirtsheets seem to think that they're going to do more angles like this because they "haven't totally closed the door on Bryan returning".  Absolute pish on that, but I'd be happy for them to do more stuff like this.  I'd say let Miz continue, but what else is there that he really could say?  It was a step short of a double turn, everything Miz said was 100% accurate and delivered absolutely perfectly.  

And agree with those talking about the work/shoot balance.  When wrestling isn't so clearly scripted and fake and can make you really believe that it's a shoot, it's truly wonderful.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I finally got a chance to watch the promo, and the episode around it.  Definitely a good idea to have something like this to further angles, although CarmellaBella attack was a bit cringey with all the "is she ok" stuff that went on after it in complete silence.  Miz was absolutely brilliant, and they need to make more out of it.

Dirtsheets seem to think that they're going to do more angles like this because they "haven't totally closed the door on Bryan returning".  Absolute pish on that, but I'd be happy for them to do more stuff like this.  I'd say let Miz continue, but what else is there that he really could say?  It was a step short of a double turn, everything Miz said was 100% accurate and delivered absolutely perfectly.  

And agree with those talking about the work/shoot balance.  When wrestling isn't so clearly scripted and fake and can make you really believe that it's a shoot, it's truly wonderful.

The fact that Bryan didn't have legit response prepped and ready to fire back, instead storming off when confronted shows that it wasn't only bot scripted but wasn't expected from Bryan. 

The accusation boiled down to 'if you hate being told that you're not wrestling, then be a man and get tae so you can do it elsewhere' and having watched it a few times, it looked like it genuinely shocked him to have that thrown in his face. 

Unfortunately this is the lovely afterglow and resulting anticipation of when WWE do something genuinely great. The reality of what follows will most likely see all of us go from edge of our seats to lamenting how they squandered it. It's happened so many times, from Nexus debuting to CM Punk's pipebomb to post mania Raws.

Really hoping the mystery 8th team turns out to be The Revival. I know this will mean Slater and Rhyno will be eliminated, but I'm really hoping these two are part of the Autumn call-ups

As far as I can tell Triple H hates the Miz and buries him any time they have an interaction, however Miz is a company man, so he must have some backing somewhere. I think the miz is great as a character, but not a fan of his wrestling at all.

On 28/08/2016 at 09:28, Tamdunk said:

I think the miz is great as a character, but not a fan of his wrestling at all.

He's a 70% talker and a 30% wrestler. I much prefer the good talkers.

Plus, he's a heel. Is Daniel Bryan expecting highspots and "this is awesome" chants for a heel? The obsession with perfect wrestling these days goes a long way to explaining why there's a lack of genuine heels.

Anyway's, I think they completely wasted that Miz segment today. It had so much potential after the buzz he generated last week. Ah well. :(

What was that Milkman guff all about? Completely pointless.

Thought they could have made more of the Miz's outburst from last week. He could have attacked Ziggler backstage later during the night for example. Hopefully it will develop well though.