Smackdown Thread

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Ellsworth shouldn't have had his neck in that position, his fault.

The move requires the recipient to put their neck in a position they would do for literally no other move, almost any other equivalent pile-driver sort of move requires a tuck. I wouldn't blame the guy for going against his wrestling instinct. Yeah, people should know that about the clash by now but how many broken necks before you stop saying "should have known better" and just stop taking the risk?

Edited by Christophe

4 hours ago, Christophe said:

The move requires the recipient to put their neck in a position they would do for literally no other move, almost any other equivalent pile-driver sort of move requires a tuck. I wouldn't blame the guy for going against his wrestling instinct. Yeah, people should know that about the clash by now but how many broken necks before you stop saying "should have known better" and just stop taking the risk?

Yup, it's a stormer of a move and a shame it's no longer really his finisher but it's too risky to be performing regularly. It's one that should only be rolled out when both guys are fully comfortable with it and for really big matches. 

The guys tucking their necks, as has been said, are only doing what instinct tells them to.

Think in the fashion that was dropped (overnight and with total blackout on highlights etc) that it was on lawyers advice re: the ongoing concussion lawsuit. Not that the move has an actual particular impact to the head, but probably can be perceived as being in the same category as Orton's punt etc.

Guest bernardblack
Both are to blame. Styles for persisting and Elsworth for the tuck.

I don't think Styles persisted for the move to be in WWE.

Apparently Jericho campaigned for it be allowed.

It is horribly dangerous though, Cena wasn't far off hurting his neck off it too

I don't enjoy the Styles Clash as a finish. It just looks too fake for me, ie, the opponent has to be a willing participant in the move if that makes sense? It's also slow as hell to complete it. The only slow finisher that works in my mind is the Tombstone and other than because it's iconic for Taker that'd have been stopped due to the dangers that go along with that.

Absolutely no need for Styles to still use that move.

3 hours ago, bernardblack said:

I don't think Styles persisted for the move to be in WWE.

Apparently Jericho campaigned for it be allowed.

It is horribly dangerous though, Cena wasn't far off hurting his neck off it too

Jericho was the first to take it at Mania if I recall. Cos I was quite astonished they greenlit it. 

Since then, I've worried any time that he's used it on a taller guy like Cena or Reigns. Both guys take it expertly but their height means there is so little head clearance in taking it that the tiniest botch from either man closes that already small clearance gap and fucks someone up, even if they don't tuck. 

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Never been the same since the NWO and the Monday night ratings war

Haven't you already started a thread about this? Go download the network and relive those days then. It's a steal at a tenner a month. 

The fact that they might actually have Ellsworth as a champ, even though it wouldn't last the night, has me extremely excited about tonight's show. Think they'll pull the HHH/Jericho thing out and actually do the unthinkable. If they do, I'll lose every bit of my shit with joy.