Walking Down The Halbeath Road

" For us to sack McIntyre now we must have a replacement already lined up, or there has been a serious fallout, either way I don't think it's the right choice."

Said that at the time and stick by it, either way it worked out as a blessing for him. Good guy.

http://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Stronger,_faster_and_fitter_players&ID=9157

Story on sports science boy. A good under the radar signing by AJ.

Easy job this season looking after full timers in a part time league. AJ following his previous formula of getting the players fit to beat teams with pace and tempo and part time teams struggle to cope with it.

I'm actually looking forward to see how he does next season against other full time teams. He only did two or three games in the championship the last time before going to Kilmarnock so all new for him too.

Easy job this season looking after full timers in a part time league. AJ following his previous formula of getting the players fit to beat teams with pace and tempo and part time teams struggle to cope with it.

I'm actually looking forward to see how he does next season against other full time teams. He only did two or three games in the championship the last time before going to Kilmarnock so all new for him too.

Seething.

Having four central midfielders already under contract probably limited AJ's options in terms of our style of play. Andy Geggan seems to have become more and more influential (or at least he is one guy we badly miss when he is out) but it's still a pretty simple formula as you say. IF we go up, the way we have played against Dundee, Dundee Utd and Ross County suggests we've a core of a team that can comfortably step up and cause teams problems. 

Out of the current crop, who would you see most likely to move on and also, who do you see being happy to stay?

For me, the only one I can see having a genuine reason to leave is Faissal, the rest are probably already at the best place they could be just now.

Keepers are fine.

Talbot is a worry for me defensively and going forward he will get caught out but a decent reserve maybe? I would keep Ben and Martin as reserves and hope that Fordyce gets back to his best. Bring in another two or three quality guys like McAusland standard. Williamson should be given a chance.

Midfield, Geggan, Josh, Cardle all good enough but need cover for Geggan badly. Someone like McMullan would be good or a Jamie Adams type. I think we need three new players and Paton might find himself moved on although I rate him highly. Something missing, I don't know?

Moffat, I reckon, will be a great link up player. I don't think Fais will stay. Wallace has had his chance. We will need three or four strikers.

To sum up.

New team.

Murdoch/Hutton maybe replace Hutton if possible?

Reid/Williamson Ben/New Fordyce if ok New left back/Martin. plus two more

Geggan, Josh, Cardle, Paton (maybe) Geggan cover (physical enforcer type) play maker midfielder and two wide players.

Moffat, three new strikers

This is an ideal situation and only if we can afford it, we will have more season tickets and much bigger away supports. It will be a very tough league.

If you think it's too much look at teams like Dumbarton or Livvy who on paper have better players than us in some positions.

We will need to strengthen quite a bit.

Our experience was that most of the of the players that won league 1 were not good enough for the championship with a couple of notable exceptions like Greg Stewart

It's a problem because fans become attached to the players that won the league. The other side is that players coming in will want big money.

It's not an easy task for manager or board to get the balance right.

Keepers are fine.

Talbot is a worry for me defensively and going forward he will get caught out but a decent reserve maybe? I would keep Ben and Martin as reserves and hope that Fordyce gets back to his best. Bring in another two or three quality guys like McAusland standard. Williamson should be given a chance.

Midfield, Geggan, Josh, Cardle all good enough but need cover for Geggan badly. Someone like McMullan would be good or a Jamie Adams type. I think we need three new players and Paton might find himself moved on although I rate him highly. Something missing, I don't know?

Moffat, I reckon, will be a great link up player. I don't think Fais will stay. Wallace has had his chance. We will need three or four strikers.

To sum up.

New team.

Murdoch/Hutton maybe replace Hutton if possible?

Reid/Williamson Ben/New Fordyce if ok New left back/Martin. plus two more

Geggan, Josh, Cardle, Paton (maybe) Geggan cover (physical enforcer type) play maker midfielder and two wide players.

Moffat, three new strikers

This is an ideal situation and only if we can afford it, we will have more season tickets and much bigger away supports. It will be a very tough league.

If you think it's too much look at teams like Dumbarton or Livvy who on paper have better players than us in some positions.

We will need to strengthen quite a bit.

Harsh on Wallace. His goals to games ratio is pretty good and he is unplayable on his day. I hope next year he is pushing for Faissal's spot. He might even get double figures in the league this year.

Asides from that, plaudits to the backroom team, the sport scientist article on the 'Fisful website was unexpectedly interesting.

If we can keep the vast majority of this squad going into next season I'd be happy. I'm even confident of the likes of Byrne, Hopkirk and Wallace (I.e the ones who have struggled to maintain a place) ring useful in the Championship. I think we should be looking to strengthen rather than simply release and replace.

The thought of Faiss leaving makes me all teary-eyed :(

Edited by smpar

For me, its hard to say who we should keep as i reckon it depends upon what our aims for next season are.

Lets say our aim is to get one of the promotion play off spots, how many current players would get a game for Falkirk, Hibs or Raith?

For me, its hard to say who we should keep as i reckon it depends upon what our aims for next season are.

Lets say our aim is to get one of the promotion play off spots, how many current players would get a game for Falkirk, Hibs or Raith?

All of them, we have the best Championship squad.

Staying up should be the first target. However, you can always re-evaluate in January if we're doing better than expected. I definitely think the club will be aiming higher than simply surviving.

It's hard to know how the current crop will do at a higher level. A few guys have already performed well for us in better leagues in the past and some of the younger guys will hopefully continue to improve and develop. Certainly going to be a few tricky decisions for AJ to make, especially if Faissal leaves as expected.

Anyway, let's make sure we get this league finished before we talk too much about the Championship.

Interview with Sandy Clark on the club's Facebook page speaking briefly about the squad for next season - looking to keep the majority of the squad together due to the performances and results against higher league opposition but also always open to improving and bringing in better quality at all times.

With a decent budget next season, hopefully we can aim for the play offs. Cardle, Geggan, Falkingham, Fais, Murdoch, Williamson, Reid, Fordyce, Talbot should all be comfortable playing in the Championship. Who knows, might even be able to get McKay if things don't work out between him and the Saintees. Also, Geggan was one of the best players in the league back in 12-13 until the shit hit the fan.

I'm confident that most if this squad, with the addition of a few quality, experienced signings, will do well and should aim higher than simply staying up.