Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Just now, Shandon Par said:

How many penalties have we been awarded this season? Must be some sort of record. I'm sure Partick recently went 40 odd games without being awarded one and we must've been awarded about 10 this season already. 

Get Murdoch taking them. That would focus the mind into not missing. 

Off the top of my head;

Dumbarton (miss)

Dundee United (3x miss)

Hibs (score)

Buckie (score)

Ayr (2x miss).

8 penalties in 119 days I make that.

1 penalty every fortnight from the 6th of August up to Saturday's game against Ayr.

6 takers. 35% of our outfield playing squad have taken a penalty this season. 

Conversion rate of 20%.

As shite as they've been, St Mirren are only 6 points behind us. Worrying as we too are shite. Any faith I had left in the management evaporated after Buckie. I'm very concerned. We show absolutely no signs of 'coming good', going on a run of results or picking up important wins anytime soon.

Performances have too often been comical and when we've played well we end up shooting ourselves in the foot (gifting Dumbarton the equaliser Wedderburn getting sent off at Tannadice, conceding the penalty at the weekend, missing the penalties we got at the weekend).

No idea how or if this can be sorted. Obviously we can't just pay off the management team whilst hiring a new one (in effect paying two sets of management teams, something I highly doubt we can afford). If we can work something out in January to bring in a player or two in key roles then that might help matters. In fact that pretty much seems to be the only hope.

56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

As shite as they've been, St Mirren are only 6 points behind us. Worrying as we too are shite. Any faith I had left in the management evaporated after Buckie. I'm very concerned. We show absolutely no signs of 'coming good', going on a run of results or picking up important wins anytime soon.

Performances have too often been comical and when we've played well we end up shooting ourselves in the foot (gifting Dumbarton the equaliser Wedderburn getting sent off at Tannadice, conceding the penalty at the weekend, missing the penalties we got at the weekend).

No idea how or if this can be sorted. Obviously we can't just pay off the management team whilst hiring a new one (in effect paying two sets of management teams, something I highly doubt we can afford). If we can work something out in January to bring in a player or two in key roles then that might help matters. In fact that pretty much seems to be the only hope.

It's all a bit chaotic. The Buckie game seems a bit like many of the games last season. We won by eventually being fitter and being able to throw on quick attacking players to run at tiring part time defenders. That won't cut it in this league. The red cards, the missed penalties, the stupid mistakes, the simple goalscoring chances missed - it's all a bit desperate. 

No easy fix. A new manager would still be short of a midfield and short of fit defenders. I thought we'd finish 9th this year unless we re-signed Faissal. Missing out on him meant we'd need to totally change the style of play but instead we just signed a bunch of forwards in the hope that one of them would perform like he did. 

AJ made a massive improvement to Potter's/JJ's team so hopefully he can wheel and deal a bit in January and address the general imbalance and lack of quality enough to see us stay up. Would rather he gets this chance than the club shells out a small fortune paying off him and Sandy. 

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Potter for East Fife? Not quite a "he's going nowhere" statement from AJ in his match preview. Might give us a chance to actually beat East Fife next time we play each other.

Good luck to him if he goes. It's the type of job that'll make or break his managerial career - after his disastrous spell in charge here, he's realistically not going to get another chance at the Pars. However, a bad spell at East Fife and I reckon that'll be his only managerial job.

Hope I'm proved wrong and he does well as he's a good egg, but can't help thinking that he should stick to the coaching.

Bingo.

Think I lost faith after the Morton away game, I do appreciate that interviews can't be looked into too deeply but he's said a couple of things which are proper mental.
Duthie has been given a 1 year extension

Meh. He looked ok going forward, pretty poor defensively though. Bit like Williamson but not as good going forward.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Potter for East Fife? Not quite a "he's going nowhere" statement from AJ in his match preview. Might give us a chance to actually beat East Fife next time we play each other.

Didn't we comfortably pump them the last few times we played them?

I think in the season we were with them in the league we got beat once and drew with them at EEP, we beat them at Bayview once and I can't remember the other away game!

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I recall being at Bayview and we scored 3.

In fact a quick Google shows we won 1-3 in February 2014, with Ross Forbes, Danny Grainger and Ryan Wallace scoring.

Forbes also missed a penalty.

That sounds very familiar, even though I wasn't there. I'm sure that was the first game after we signed Forbes and Grainger and they both scored. Pretty sure Grainger's was borderline own goal though.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

They beat us 1-0 at home after being on their worst run in recent memory and also had a habit of totally horsing us at East End in preseason games too.

Potter out (and maybe taking a couple of players with him) and a new coach coming in could freshen things up. Just now it feels a bit like the Potter era all over again.

They beat us 1-0 at home after being on their worst run in recent memory and also had a habit of totally horsing us at East End in preseason games too.
Potter out (and maybe taking a couple of players with him) and a new coach coming in could freshen things up. Just now it feels a bit like the Potter era all over again.

Ian Cathro IMO.

Forbes looked like the sort of player we were all hoping for in that East Fife game. Using the wind to swing in some vicious corners, pinging balls over over the park and was man of the match despite missing a penalty. He was then pretty bobbins before seemingly finding his form again at Morton. For whom he'll probably run the game tomorrow.

Forbes was fantastic for a couple of months, he started off playing in the middle and was fantastic. We then put him out wide and he wasn't as effective and didn't really seem to enjoy playing under JJ.

When we had that pre season tournament in Spartans and he was MOTM in one of the games playing in a role behind Moffat. So we didn't play him there again, wounded.

Forbes has been great for us pretty much since he arrived.  OK, he has had the odd anonymous game but mostly he has been one of our main menu men!  

This season alone he has 6 goals but somewhere around 12 assists.

One of the first names on the team sheet!

And a word for Jim Duffy here.  The number of no hopers he has signed and given them their mojo back is unbelievable.  Forbes was one but there are others, the latest being Gavin Gunning a player who is way better than this League!