Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

It's no surprise that the most vociferous in there opinion that this is going to go to shit are Falkirk and Raith fans, because let's be utterly honest here, neither are wanting this to take off in a big way and for Dunfermline to become an established Premier league side, which is fair, I don't want hypothetically some rich benefactor to take over either side and for them to have massive success. Absolutely no set of fans is looking at there Derby rivals and going "Aye, I hope that goes well". 

Be as well as just saying it how it is, rather than this mock concern Raith fans seem to be portraying, citing memories of Anelka. 

In a nutshell

Personally will PMSL if it goes tits up but equally be cursing if its a success 😉

4 hours ago, virginton said:

The idea of selling Scottish clubs as a staging post to the English leagues is smart and I've been calling for Morton to do something similar by investing in scouting the former Eastern Bloc instead of grubbing around the English non-league bins and the Scottish market for overpaid mercenaries instead. I'm a bit sceptical as to how the financial side of that pitch would apply to the German domestic market though: it's not quite England in terms of strength but there are pretty large and well supported clubs for a quite long way down their pyramid. What level are players going to be playing at where a two-three year deal on, say, £500 a week in Scotland becomes more appealing?

If the investors have decent knowledge of other European markets as well then it could well be a success but I'm not convinced that they're just going to import unearthed gems from the Bundesliga III no bother. 

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

In the interview with the chairman when someone said Germany, McCarthur was pretty quick to say that it wouldn't just be Germany, citing that players would often go to Eastern Europe to further there careers and wouldn't be that well paid, he elaborated more on it but truthfully I can't remember the exact details. 

I know Ross McArthur is not stupid and these German guys clearly haven't thrown their money in the ring for laughs so I presume they know exactly what they are doing but I'd have some concerns at this point about exactly how easy it will be to bring players to the UK in a post-Brexit environment in the longer term. Anyone who has ever tried to get a player registered from a non EU country previously will know what an absolute administrative and costly nightmare it is. The thing about the EU was it allowed free labour movement within it to French, German, Dutch players etc could come and go as they pleased. We're currently in a transitional arrangement where that's still pretty much allowed but I'm unsure what the longer term procedure will be to obtain work permits for European nationals to play in Scotland presuming they don't have a UK passport.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I know Ross McArthur is not stupid and these German guys clearly haven't thrown their money in the ring for laughs so I presume they know exactly what they are doing but I'd have some concerns at this point about exactly how easy it will be to bring players to the UK in a post-Brexit environment in the longer term. Anyone who has ever tried to get a player registered from a non EU country previously will know what an absolute administrative and costly nightmare it is. The things about the EU was it allowed free labour movement within it to French, German, Dutch players etc could come and go as they pleased. We're currently in a transitional arrangement where that's still pretty much allowed but I'm unsure what the longer term procedure will be to obtain work permits for European nationals to play in Scotland presuming they don't have a UK passport.
Definitely something that needs to be kept an eye on