Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I’m sorry to be the thread pessimist but the more I think about the Deniz situation, the more anxious it makes me.

I don’t buy the reasoning that he was offered 3 years to make up for a lowered wage. A 3 year deal is equally as frivolous as a short term high wage imo.

I’m all for tying down our young talent like Todd and KRH on longer deals and good on the club for doing so. But first Chalmers and now Deniz should not have been given this option. One good season in league one should not merit multiple years at a higher level, the reward is too high for what has been achieved. Chalmers was poor (as everyone was) when we went down but ask ayr fans what they think of him too. 

These 2 should’ve been offered 1 year to prove themselves at that level. They earned that chance this season. If they didn’t accept then thanks for a good season and good luck, replace them. I do worry we are now saddled with players who won’t be good enough for the level above because of  too much loyalty and perhaps even getting complacent about the step up in quality between the championship and league 1.

Of course I hope I’m wrong but it’s starting to feel as if long term deals were chucked about like confetti at everyone in the squad from this year. Yes we had a great season but if we are going to keep progressing we need to be a little more ruthless than what we’re seeing so far.

7 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I had that black top plus several other absolute crackers including the Falconbridge black & gold & the Kenny Ward green & purple. Donated them all to Marvs shop. I hope they're bringing happiness to someone somewhere because I wished I'd just kept them & handed over cash......

I got a Falconbridge top from Marv in 2013. I won’t tell you what I paid for it 🤠

18 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

I’m sorry to be the thread pessimist but the more I think about the Deniz situation, the more anxious it makes me.

I don’t buy the reasoning that he was offered 3 years to make up for a lowered wage. A 3 year deal is equally as frivolous as a short term high wage imo.

I wouldn't get anxious about it.  All we know is that we've re-signed a keeper who kept 20+ clean sheets last season and barely made a mistake.  If it goes wrong, they'll bring someone else in and he'd be an able deputy - which is hardly frivolous. 

McPake inherited a potential Championship winning team that a couple of charlatans managed to relegate. Look how good Airdrie looked recently - we finished 20 points ahead and they couldn’t beat us with a 3 goal lead or two extra players. Just a few more quality signings and we are in a very good place. So long as we have relegation clauses in these three year deals.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

McPake inherited a potential Championship winning team that a couple of charlatans managed to relegate.

Can’t agree with this. McPake did not inherit a squad that could win the championship. That just isn’t true at all. Very few of the players left got regular game time the season before, when we were relegated from the championship.

Even looking at what we have, now that he has signed Hamilton, Benedictus and KRH, I don’t think we have a potential championship winning team. So he certainly didn’t inherit one.

I think we are 4/5 quality signings away from having a squad that will compete in the top half of the championship. No point getting carried away and setting up false hope/expectations.

23 minutes ago, Hipster Dufus said:

Well, their former head coach and D.O.F. is in our ownership group so it wasn't a stretch  😇

Ah, makes more sense now - cheers!

50 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

At the start of our relegation season I think we were the second or third favourites at the bookies and were heavily favoured for a play off spot. It might not have been a championship winning squad but it should have been a championship contending squad. 

Not being funny, but I don’t think that was because we had Breen, Todd, McCann and Mehmet.

Think anyone tipping us for promotion was looking at us having players like Thomas, Dow, Dorrans, Watson and Kai Kennedy. Everyone expected us to get a lot more out of those players.

Obviously Todd has progressed a lot in the last couple of years. But the players we have now were not thought of as championship title contenders. Comrie, Edwards and Wighton are probably the only ones that would have been part of the team that was being touted for promotion.

4 hours ago, AlwaysAPar said:

I’m all for tying down our young talent like Todd and KRH on longer deals and good on the club for doing so. But first Chalmers and now Deniz should not have been given this option. One good season in league one should not merit multiple years at a higher level, the reward is too high for what has been achieved. Chalmers was poor (as everyone was) when we went down but ask ayr fans what they think of him too. 

These 2 should’ve been offered 1 year to prove themselves at that level. They earned that chance this season. If they didn’t accept then thanks for a good season and good luck, replace them. I do worry we are now saddled with players who won’t be good enough for the level above because of  too much loyalty and perhaps even getting complacent about the step up in quality between the championship and league 1.

Of course I hope I’m wrong but it’s starting to feel as if long term deals were chucked about like confetti at everyone in the squad from this year. Yes we had a great season but if we are going to keep progressing we need to be a little more ruthless than what we’re seeing so far.

I don't quite get the 3 year deal but it's not concerning me. He impressed me when playing for Dundee Utd, albeit only a couple of times. His first season with us was dreadful but as a whole we were rubbish and he rather quickly lost confidence and was dropped. Last season he was really good, breaking records, TOTY and it wasn't a fluke, we were just well organised. We won't have all the success we did this season but no reason we can't be difficult to beat again.

I don't think Deniz's performances in the relegation season was his true form. If he continues to be a good goalie then we've got him tied down for 3 years, continuity between the sticks for us. If he remains consistent then there's also the potential reward that bigger clubs might come in for him and will have to pay handsomely as he will still be under contract.

We've already been fairly ruthless by letting go three players who could argue they deserved a new deal. Chalmers was worthy of a new deal, and finished top of the assists chart in the league, McPake wants continuity not big changes every summer hence why he's tying the core down, experience and youth whilst constantly trying to improve the group with the right people.

Anyway… I do feel quite positive about where we are and the kind of season we could have. If we make the right signings, I do believe we could be challenging for top 4. But I expect us to have a fairly small squad again, so a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions will be required and versatility could be key with the recruits we bring in this summer.

6 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I had that black top plus several other absolute crackers including the Falconbridge black & gold & the Kenny Ward green & purple. Donated them all to Marvs shop. I hope they're bringing happiness to someone somewhere because I wished I'd just kept them & handed over cash......

My maw donated the black and gold one to charity, it went off to Africa.....I dont care if it brought anyone happiness, I want it back.