Walking Down The Halbeath Road

17 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I’m a total sucker for squad numbers. Nice to see Todd take 10, KRH take 7 and even McCann jumping from 14 to 11, shows he’s big part of the plans this season.

Tonight's numbers aren't the official squad numbers, for example hammy is 5 but wearing 7 and KRH is 12

9 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

what was final score?

3-0 to St Pauli.

Was men against boys as expected; FCSP changed their whole XI at half time I think then had another couple of subs available (and one came on in the second half) whereas we had 2 first teamers and a couple of youths come on. They were all bigger, stronger, faster, taller and quicker to pass the ball than we were but to he honest we aren't going to face a team like that this season unless we draw one of the bigot brothers in the cup. A decent crowd in, in the end - just over 7,200. Sadly I don't think many in the home stand knew that there was a minutes applause for the fan who died of cancer, but at least my dad and I in the Norrie and a sizable number in the North West stand joined in.

Think Mehmet made some good saves, Tod and McCann aquitted themselves well, and one thing you can say is we never gave up despite the gulf in class.

Thought that was a decent evening at east end. New kit looks good and the sponsor logo doesn’t look as bad as I feared earlier.

St Pauli obviously a much better team, with much more resources. Every player they had was big and powerful, but also very good technically. Some of the little flicks, bicycle kicks etc were excellent bits of play. Their movement off the ball was also just well ahead of what we’ll see in the championship, never mind what we saw in league 1 last season.

Having said that, we didn’t embarrass ourselves and made a bit of a game of it. Thought Fisher was very good on the night. KRH had flashes of real quality and I thought Hamilton had a good game. McCann looked good and seemed to relish the physical battle with defenders. Also thought the young lads that came on seemed to do well.

I appreciate you can't look too deeply jnto friendlys, but we can't have McGowan as the closest attacking midfielder to Wighton if he's playing up top by himself. 

Being honest I've seen absolutely nothing from McGowan to warrant him getting a contract tbh. 

Well done to the club for getting 7000+ in for a pre-season friendly. I don't really care about pandering to Celtic fans etc; we've made a lot of money tonight for what was, after all, a totally meaningless football match.

As for the game, it's very early pre-season but you'll rarely see the Pars as overwhelmingly outclassed as that. Second best from minute one and scoreline could have been a lot worse. Hopefully they benefit from the minutes in their legs and aren't too disheartened because it's very unlikely we'll play anybody as good as that all year.

Sponsor logo on the home kit is proper minging. A fine effort apart from that.

Nice wee cameo from Tod Jr. Hope he gets a few opportunities in the League Cup matches.

I know he's your pal McPake but I *really* don't need to see McGowan again.

As much as judging pre-season performances is a bit silly I felt our own performance was fine tonight.  

It’s hard to judge a side from another country directly but I’d put that squad as certain top 6 and would be disappointed if they didn’t come out best against the hearts/hibs/Aberdeen group most years.   We aren’t at that level and man for man they were better at every aspect of the game, but I felt we responded well enough, we never really got downhearted and kept working, there’s a lot of resilience in this squad and I feel they’ll use that as learning experience.

Thought that was a decent day out. Shame on the pitch we didn't make more of an impact but we have a very barebones squad with less than a week of pre season training, and were up against what was ultimately quite an impressive St Pauli side, with obviously way more resources than we have at our disposal. Will be one of, if not the best teams we play this season by a comfortable margin. Thought their number 10 in the second half (Hartel I think) was particularly impressive in the manner he ran the show. 
As for us, good run out and some nice cameo's from the youngsters, and hopefully a barrelload of lessons to learn. 

One negative, as much as I don't want to judge ourselves on tonights performance given the wide gap in class, Gowser looked far more out of his depth than basically anyone in our team, including the youngsters. I don't think I'd be too unhappy if we weren't to sign him on, but as I say I don't want to be too critical. He won't need half the pace/legs that would have been required tonight to do a job in the champ.

Thought some players showed up pretty well and others looked nowhere near it.

Big Deniz is so much better than the rubbish we've had since Murdoch.

Thought both our full backs were poor. No composure.

The CBs were all good. Bene, Fisher(Why do Dundee fans say he's wee?) He was as big as the Germans. Probably used to oversized big lumps like Sweeney and Ashcroft. Thought he stood up physically and good on the ball. Great signing.

Otoo had a few defensive moments early on but was good as the game went on. Think he and Fisher are really good signings for the next 3 years.

Hamilton was the best out the lot. Great tackles as per and wins the ball so cleanly.

Chalmers has nice touches but painfully immobile. Think we need compitiion for him this season. Got away with it last season when playing in a dominant team.

Not sure what Paul Allan is? Nearly 24 and still seen as a youngster. Doesn't tackle, don't go forward. Looked like he was blowing out his arse after 15 mins on the pitch.

KRH started well but struggled as the game went on. Still a superb signing for next season.

Wighton was looking way off it. McCann was a much better option with his pace and strength.

Absolutely love young Toddy. Full of running and effort but a good talent too. Great when he skinned that left back.

20 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

That was Andrew Tod, not Fenton. But yes, Tod does always wear goggles.

20 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

That's Andy Tod 

Sorry guys, thanks though. 

4 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

Tonight's numbers aren't the official squad numbers, for example hammy is 5 but wearing 7 and KRH is 12

I wasn’t talking about who was wearing what tonight. Someone posted the back of the programme which shows the new squad numbers for the season.