Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I was listening to the game on Saturday. I've not watched the full highlights yet but I have seen the Pars Review clip taken from the Main Stand. I have to be honest, the tackle sounded way worse on the radio with Leanne Crighton, Willie Miller and the main comms all saying it was a straight red. It's not a great tackle but if one of our lot went off for that I think I'd be a bit miffed.

Going to watch the highlights shortly from the other side, see if I feel any different about it.

Elsewhere, seems Paul McGowan to Cove is just waiting to happen as the red tops are reporting it now too.

Not a great loss IMO. Would have been helpful at times, but the money now has to be used a lot more wisely than a 36 year old defensive mid, which we have cover for that position. 

17 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Shocked at these 2 completely un-biased opinions.

It's football, impossible not to have a biased opinion. Below is a level headed opinion from one of your own:

5 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I was listening to the game on Saturday. I've not watched the full highlights yet but I have seen the Pars Review clip taken from the Main Stand. I have to be honest, the tackle sounded way worse on the radio with Leanne Crighton, Willie Miller and the main comms all saying it was a straight red. It's not a great tackle but if one of our lot went off for that I think I'd be a bit miffed.

Going to watch the highlights shortly from the other side, see if I feel any different about it.

Elsewhere, seems Paul McGowan to Cove is just waiting to happen as the red tops are reporting it now too.

25 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I've just watched it back on the official highlights. It's a silly foul but still think yellow a sound outcome. If roles reversed and one of ours gets sent off for that I'm disappointed. I can get why people want it to be red given, it's not a nice tackle but it wasn't the two foot to the chest they made it out to be on the radio. Now, if I was there on Saturday, am I shouting for it, calling the ref all the names under the sun... yes. But after looking again 40odd hours later I think a yellow was suffice.

40 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Yeah, as I say this is what I was told on Friday. Worth pointing out that (I believe) it’s a one year deal he’s got there. Dispels the rumours of him holding out for 2.

If we’re ‘close’ to a signing, maybe it’s a player who’d have been in direct competition with McGowan? Maybe we found a better option, who agreed to sign, so told McGowan to go and find another club? Pure speculation on my part with that one.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Yeah, as I say this is what I was told on Friday. Worth pointing out that (I believe) it’s a one year deal he’s got there. Dispels the rumours of him holding out for 2.

If we’re ‘close’ to a signing, maybe it’s a player who’d have been in direct competition with McGowan? Maybe we found a better option, who agreed to sign, so told McGowan to go and find another club? Pure speculation on my part with that one.

I’m sure someone mentioned the club were more keen to bring in younger players. Just read the article from Craig Cairns on the courier, linked was an audio clip from Meggle talking about the signing policy of bringing in younger players who will do a job on the Saturday but will also be profitable for the club in the future. That would make sense that we aren’t signing McGowan, especially if we have a better prospect lined up. 

Glad we haven't signed him to be honest. Would have done a job but ultimately at the expense of Allan's game time and, although I doubt his ability, I would like to see him get more of a chance to "do a Todd" and prove me wrong. So would rather see investment made elsewhere. 

28 minutes ago, smpar said:

I’m sure someone mentioned the club were more keen to bring in younger players. Just read the article from Craig Cairns on the courier, linked was an audio clip from Meggle talking about the signing policy of bringing in younger players who will do a job on the Saturday but will also be profitable for the club in the future. That would make sense that we aren’t signing McGowan, especially if we have a better prospect lined up. 

Need a balance though, need some experience. However, I do think we’re fairly well covered in that respect.

Wighton, O’Halloran, Chalmers and Benedictus all provide experience. I’ve also noticed the likes of Edwards, Comrie and McCann being really supportive of the younger lads when they’ve played which is great to see. For example, on Saturday I noticed each of them at times try to tell young Tod not to worry if he’d made a mistake and going out of their way to praise him when he did something well. They’re not the only ones, just stood out because they’re still quite young themselves, but showing that maturity on the pitch.

Was just looking at the weekend’s results/teams in other groups, our squad depth could be worse. Dundee United are hoping to win this league and on Saturday, Ross Graham played 90 mins at CB for them… if that’s the standard of this league now, we’ll be fine.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Chance O Halloran could play tonight? We need as many players nearing match fitness as possible right now, especially attacking wise. 

McPake suggested on Saturday O’Halloran should be playing tonight. I’d probably play him and Tod wide in the front 3 and give McCann a rest. Would play Breen and rest Benedictus too. We have to see how well (or not) the defence can/will function without Bene.

Think we’ve done well rotating midfielders in the cup, so they should be fine. If we go 2 up, give the wing backs a rest and let Fenton/Hoggan get a run out. I’d probably give Sutherland half an hour or so as well.

If we go with Tod and O'Halloran, I might be tempted to give McCann and Wighton a half each as the central striker.  

Leaving our Benedictus (if he is even available) makes sense too, as does giving Fenton a run at left wing-back.  A start for Paul Allan would also seem logical, albeit that is probably guaranteed by default if Otoo is moving back to defence.