Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Unfortunately, the above posts are Beth similar to my thoughts. McPake definitely wanted to sign McGowan and McGowan wanted to come here. Likewise, McPake definitely would want to sign Wotherspoon. If he ends up at Airdrie or something, it can only be because we didn’t actually offer anything. We would be able to offer a better deal than them, but there’s obviously no guarantee we will.

I’m all for having young players that develop and we can make a profit on. That’s the best business model for a club like ours. However, I do believe that you need a balance. 5/6 guys who are 19-23 that you think will keep progressing and be key players is enough for that model. I’m a big believer that having experience and leadership around the squad will help these players develop faster and help them Strachan a higher level/standard. For example, the influence Benedictus has on Breen, Fisher and Otoo is there for all to see. McGowan perhaps could have provided that in midfield. I’d be very concerned if the board think we have enough experience. Wotherspoon would undoubtedly add a lot to our team and if the board have no interest in signing him, we have a problem.

Worth pointing out that I also like having a young manager in McPake. However, I’d imagine he will view us as a stepping stone. If the board are being very controlling and not authorising signings, because they prioritise youth over winning games of football, he won’t be here much longer and they’ll struggle to get anyone decent to replace him. His mood seems to change when he’s asked about transfers/signings, he definitely seems pissed off about something.

Worth pointing out, this is all speculation. But something doesn’t quite feel right. Here’s hoping I’m proven wrong!

Edited by CallumPar

How do we know it wasn't McPake who decided not to spend a big chunk of budget on McGowan? Maybe his wage demands were too high and he felt he could spend his budget better elsewhere? Maybe he never had any intentions of keeping him at all but as someone who needed somewhere to train when we were short of bodies pre season he kept him in?

But the really obvious answer to all of this would be we weren’t willing to pay the money he wanted, that doesn’t mean it’s just the board that have decided that, McPake had a budget to work within, who’s to say he didn’t feel like shelling out the wages gowser wanted?

35 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

How do we know it wasn't McPake who decided not to spend a big chunk of budget on McGowan? Maybe his wage demands were too high and he felt he could spend his budget better elsewhere? Maybe he never had any intentions of keeping him at all but as someone who needed somewhere to train when we were short of bodies pre season he kept him in?

But the really obvious answer to all of this would be we weren’t willing to pay the money he wanted, that doesn’t mean it’s just the board that have decided that, McPake had a budget to work within, who’s to say he didn’t feel like shelling out the wages gowser wanted?

If we had wanted to sign McGowan, we’d have done it.  He was a bit part player in the league below, and indeed has ended up in that league.

For too long managers at our club have wasted budgets signing dross that we are then stuck with.  If this is the new signing model then let’s stick with it and see where it takes us.  One year in so far, it’s been not bad…..

Michael O'Halloran is 32 and Kyle Benedictus was 30 when he signed.  Aside from those, we've only signed Chris Hamilton, KRH, Otoo and Fisher as permanent signings since McPake's been in charge (plus Max Little, I guess).

If you are looking at forming a conclusion based on what we've seen, it looks like we are happy to sign established, experienced players whom the manager thinks will do a good job for us plus young, promising loan signings whom we may be able to sign on a permanent basis. 

Hamilton is a bit of an outlier given that he is a young player but had a decent amount of experience and is a Pars fan.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Seems like a narrative is being created here with little to back it up.

What evidence would satisfy you my wise liege?

1 hour ago, VinnyPar said:

So, your argument is McPake signed him on loan last season, praised him to the hilt, had him in for pre-season training, included him in our friendlies and was publicly frustrated at not being able to use him in the League Cup matches...and didn't want to sign him?

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

What evidence would satisfy you my wise liege?

So, your argument is McPake signed him on loan last season, praised him to the hilt, had him in for pre-season training, included him in our friendlies and was publicly frustrated at not being able to use him in the League Cup matches...and didn't want to sign him?

You've conveniently missed the entire point of my post, budget. Do you think we were paying 100% of his wages when he was on loan? Do you think he's on peanuts at Cove? 

As I said already we needed bodies in for pre season and he needed fitness / somewhere to train. 

Let's pretend for a minute that this conspiracy theory of the board blocking a McGowan deal is true, does it not show that they have learned from the mistakes of letting diddy managers spend their budget unchecked (see Pybus, Dorrans, Jones and even Mehmet who was well documented as being the highest paid under Peter Grant).

7 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

You've conveniently missed the entire point of my post, budget. Do you think we were paying 100% of his wages when he was on loan? Do you think he's on peanuts at Cove? 

As I said already we needed bodies in for pre season and he needed fitness / somewhere to train. 

Let's pretend for a minute that this conspiracy theory of the board blocking a McGowan deal is true, does it not show that they have learned from the mistakes of letting diddy managers spend their budget unchecked (see Pybus, Dorrans, Jones and even Mehmet who was well documented as being the highest paid under Peter Grant).

Holy shit - it's a full blown conspiracy theory now!

McPake is very good pals with McGowan. Do you seriously believe that he was not aware what he'd be looking for in wages for a permanent move? Or that he knew and took months and months to decide whether to sign him or not?

Also, when did I say the Board blocking it would be the wrong move? I'm personally relieved we didn't sign him but I would highly doubt that McPake feels the same way.

Perhaps I'm 100% wrong but it's hardly absurd to think a club kiboshed a signing and the manager didn't like it, considering it's probably happened at least once at every club in the country.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

37 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

I see that Dundee have signed a 6,4ft striker. Maybe pushing Zak Rudden further out the picture. 

Maybe McPake will look at one of his old signings in search of an alternative to Wighton.

23 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Would be happy with Rudden.

Would 100% take Rudden if it was doable. He started Dundee's first two league cup games, scoring one goal against Bonnyrig, I thought under Tony Doc he might get another chance but they've signed the Mexican guy Pineda, taken Zach Robinson on loan again and then the big tall fellow mentioned above so it could happen.

Not sure if they play two up or one with two playing wide, if it's the latter then even more chance he moves on as that only allows for one playing through the middle, and I'd imagine he'll be behind all of their new strikers in the pecking order. Shaun Byrne also an unused sub in all three of their league cup games, would also take him, classy footballer and a top bloke.

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Jakubiak was one I was thinking of yesterday 

I think he is higher thought of than Rudden by Dundee fans. 

My wife is a Dundee ST holder and thinks Rudden is mince. I''ve always thought he looked decent the few times I've seen him.

Edited by Chubbychops