Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you mean the hiring of Grant and Hughes (shudder)?

Think that was the old board and Meggle that committed those atrocities.

Meggle part of the new board no? Hear what you're saying though, I remember when we appointed Grant, Ross Mccarthur was smug as anything about it

45 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

2 months ago everyone was pretty happy and I don’t think we’re that’s exactly disappeared.  But being promoted was a time to push on and yet at this stage we’ve lost 6 players to bring in 2.  I don’t think anyone is asking for us to sign a new squad of players,  but we really should have a squad of players.  I can’t remember entering a league season so ridiculously short.

We started last season short. Mochrie and Fisher wouldn't sign until after the first game and KRH came later. Otoo and McGowan didn't sign until February.

To have Otoo, KRH and Fisher 'permanent' players is good business I think.

I keep saying this but we don't know how negotiations have gone with other players. For all we know the club could have made 10 contract offers only for players to decline. For all we know deals have been sorted for 4 players to sign during the week. For all we know clubs are just waiting for a signing before they'll release certain players to us. It's all speculation and I doubt the club aren't trying.

31 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Meggle part of the new board no? Hear what you're saying though, I remember when we appointed Grant, Ross Mccarthur was smug as anything about it

Haha aye, the pish about Grant was unreal. The board doubling down after the Queen of the South game was mental too. That statement....

40 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but has McPake or the board publicly set any objectives for the season?

Was asked at the end of season supporters meeting. Like has been said, avoid relegation but why not be able to have a go was JM’s feelings I’m sure. DM was asked and he wanted us to challenge but also conceded that if we finished above relegation playoffs he’d be happy for our first season back. Those answers might be the wrong way round but both kinda felt the same.

Personally I’d take a mid table finish, playoffs would be nice but let’s walk before we try to run. Get a season in the Championship, try and keep the squad for following season whilst adding new quality and then have a real good go.

I know we can be hard to beat,  especially at home. Outside of Dundee Utd, I don’t see anyone coming to East End and being classed as favourites. If you look at the teams that finished in the playoffs, Queens Park have signed OK, I’d have liked Paton but apart from his goal at East End he was fairly quiet against us. Ayr will be far weaker without Akinyemi and Thistle have lost 2/3 really good players. ICT always seem to be there or thereabouts but they’ve lost a couple of good players. The rest of the teams I won’t be worrying too much about, Raith were okay the other week but record at our place is shocking, Airdrie couldn’t beat us last year, humped Arbroath last year, Morton can be hit or miss.

This all being said, football is a funny old game and over the past few years we’ve made a habit of losing to teams that shouldn’t be beating us, but that was then, this is now. I think we’ll be a tough egg to crack at home again and decent on the road.

Can’t bloody wait to be back at East End next Saturday for the return of proper football!

As things stand, 8th would be a good target. We haven’t signed enough quality to push for promotion so staying in the league would be just the ideal target, and anything else is a bonus. Pessimistic or pragmatic? I trust McPake, but we just haven’t got near enough players of a high standard to be challenging. Would trust him within the next few years to make a proper go at it though. 

Officially out the league cup with a third placed finish. Is that our joint worst finish since this format began? We didn't even play badly! Just unfortunate that Raith got the bonus point against Kilmarnock. Not too disappointed with this. Would be if we'd been pish, but it was an early season defeat against a Premiership team, from a couple of lax defensive moments, that put us out.

Means we have a free weekend next month, and with players to come back that isn't a bad thing.

Edited by DA Baracus

I’m not overly disappointed with our league cup results,  generally our results went to form, wins over lower league opponents, loss vs premiership and an away draw against a fellow championship club, that’s reasonable but obviously there’s thing that could have been improved on.

They'll probably push the Airdrie game this week. Perhaps they wanted to avoid overloading fans with ticket pushes given the league cup and friendly games, plus a lot of folk will be paid today or Monday.

Reckon we will finish 5th. We are hard to beat. If we can add 2 or 3 half decent attacking players we will push the top 4. This league is far more competitive. We will have our fair share of defeats this season. Too many times last season we had a poor half hour or poor 60 minutes but we will get punished in this league. As Killie showed. I would love a play off place but until we see who joins us in the coming weeks it's impossible to predict where we will be end of the season. 

31 minutes ago, Parsman85 said:

Reckon we will finish 5th. We are hard to beat. If we can add 2 or 3 half decent attacking players we will push the top 4. This league is far more competitive. We will have our fair share of defeats this season. Too many times last season we had a poor half hour or poor 60 minutes but we will get punished in this league. As Killie showed. I would love a play off place but until we see who joins us in the coming weeks it's impossible to predict where we will be end of the season. 

Pretty decent summation I think. Like you say, the difference will be who we sign in the next wee while.

If we’re anywhere close to as resilient as we were last season then we will not be in trouble. If we lose that reliable solidity then anything could happen.

We should always be looking to push for Top 4 in this league IMO but I feel we’ll finish around 5th, 6th, 7th.

Last year, nobody at the club mentioned winning the league or even promotion - just getting back in the habit of winning. Worked out alright.

I think they'll just be looking to be as competitive as possible and see where it takes us. I can't see us downing tools if we get to a position where relegation isn't an issue - especially as that would normally put you in the play-off picture due to the nature of the league.

We won't win friends or impress anybody. It will be the usual ''I'm expected more from Dunfermline'' type comments every week. 

The truth is, we're very well organised and far more structured than any team we had in this league between 2016 and 2022. We have not managed to improve the team nearly as much as I hoped going into pre-season but we will be safe with what we have plus a few loans.

I can't help but feel we've missed an opportunity to build on the great positivity after putting Falkirk in their place last year.  Not a dig at the club and management just how it's turned out. A very boring transfer window has me feeling a bit underwhelmed going into Saturday's game, when I feel there might have been a bit more of a buzz about the place if some of our transfer business came to fruition.

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

A very boring transfer window has me feeling a bit underwhelmed going into Saturday's game, when I feel there might have been a bit more of a buzz about the place if some of our transfer business came to fruition.

Exactly how I feel and probably why I didn't attend any cup games