Walking Down The Halbeath Road

50 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How do we know the club haven't made enquiries about him and were told he wasn't interested in a move to East End?

Because everyone is clearly desperate to play for Dunfermline. The only reason anyone doesn’t sign is because we didn’t ask.

24 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Likewise he'd be no better than our third best centre mid. 

Our 3 options in centre midfield right now are Hamilton, Chalmers and Allan (not counting Otoo as hee a defender first and foremost). Are you suggesting that Chalmers and Allan are better players than Byrne?

Hamilton I can at least see a debate for but Byrne has played at a higher level consistently than all 3.

2 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Our 3 options in centre midfield right now are Hamilton, Chalmers and Allan (not counting Otoo as hee a defender first and foremost). Are you suggesting that Chalmers and Allan are better players than Byrne?

Hamilton I can at least see a debate for but Byrne has played at a higher level consistently than all 3.

Totally this! 

Byrne is currently a better footballer than Chalmers. People moaning about JC giving the ball away (because he tends to have it more). Shaun Byrne is a ball keeper and always picking good passes. 

Hamilton is a really good player, but a lot younger than Byrne. He could easily go on and have a career like Byrne if not better. Jury still iut on Paul Allan.

If we signed Byrne it would put Hamilton and Chalmers on high alert as once he had a week or two in training there's no chance he'd be sitting on the bench. Of course he'd have to earn and merit the starting place but I think he would get it. He's probably better on the ball than Hamilton but will get stuck in more than Chalmers, best of both worlds.

I’d really hope we can get better than Byrne tbh. Seems like a last-ditch signing for the sake of it, which McPake isn’t going to do. Genuinely don’t think he is any better than what we have there, except Paul Allan. Although the way things are going, I think McPake is going to have to revise that mantra as we are sleep-walking in to an important league campaign with a very threadbare squad. 

What do we need then? 1x CM, 1x Attacking wide player, 1x Forward/Striker as a bare minimum? Fucking grim. 

34 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I’d really hope we can get better than Byrne tbh. Seems like a last-ditch signing for the sake of it, which McPake isn’t going to do. Genuinely don’t think he is any better than what we have there, except Paul Allan. Although the way things are going, I think McPake is going to have to revise that mantra as we are sleep-walking in to an important league campaign with a very threadbare squad. 

What do we need then? 1x CM, 1x Attacking wide player, 1x Forward/Striker as a bare minimum? Fucking grim. 

You think Joe Chalmers is a better player than Shaun Byrne? It might not be flashy but it's certainly not a "last-ditch" signing. Infact I'm led to believe we were in for him right at the start of the window but at that stage Docherty was just starting his rebuild.

Edited by VinnyPar

3 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Tbh it might not come down to purely money maybe it’ll come down to contract length it was between us and Ayr for Mullin they offered a 2 year deal and we offered 3 so it could be that….. is it position that we desperately need? No really but would certainly add experience and depth 

Absolutely, I was more calling out the nonsense that Raith would definitely be able to offer more wages that we would be able to. 

1 hour ago, VinnyPar said:

There was nothing said about who was fit, you just said he'd be our best centre midfielder, and IMO Todd and Hamilton are both better. 

As for the comparisons between him and Chalmers I don't think there's as big a difference as is being made out, I'd welcome the signing because he's absolutely better than Allan. But I also don't think it's massively needed, we're so utterly lacking in attacking minded players, like critically short that I think it'll be those signings that define our season. 

5 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

There was nothing said about who was fit, you just said he'd be our best centre midfielder, and IMO Todd and Hamilton are both better. 

As for the comparisons between him and Chalmers I don't think there's as big a difference as is being made out, I'd welcome the signing because he's absolutely better than Allan. But I also don't think it's massively needed, we're so utterly lacking in attacking minded players, like critically short that I think it'll be those signings that define our season. 

If fit, Matty would occupy one of the forward 3 positions so I wasn't considering him in the discussions. We play with 2 central midfielders and 2 players just off the striker. Todd is one of the latter.

Lazy argument. Just because you don't watch a player for 90 minutes every single week doesn't mean you can't have a view on how they would impact the squad. 

If Akinyemi signed for us should I not comment about how good he is because I've only seen a handful of Ayr games on the BBC? No I look at his stats and take opinion from their fans who watch every week.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Why are people ITT discussing how good Shaun Byrne is when I can guarantee they have watched - at most - a handful of his performances over the last 7 years?

He was a good player for us, probably suffered due to us having two very good centre midfielders in his last season. I used to work with a Livi fan who was always very positive about him, and I’ve a mate who’s a Dundee fan who always says positive things. None of us know exactly what he’s like week in week out but we all have rough ideas as would our manager who used to manage him.

We know he’s not world class, if he wasn’t he wouldn’t have played with Dunfermline, Livingston and currently not even making the squad for Dundee, but what we do know is he’s a good player with good experience. He’s not going to be 9/10 every week but he’s still probably a better midfielder than what we have, and that’s no disrespect to the guys we already have, as they’re also good.

He’s made circa 60 Premiership appearances, 90 odd appearances in the Scottish Championship, he’s won it outright and been promoted via the playoffs, all things that we could do with a bit more experience of.

3 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

When can we start panicking about the threadbare squad?  

I give it a week until I start to wonder what is going on. 

If that 5,4,3,2,1 video with the music hasn’t appeared by 18:00 on Friday then that’s when we start panicking.

Noticed someone on the Pars Vs Airdrie thread saying none of us would be getting Wotherspoon as he’s off to Canada.