Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 hours ago, CallumPar said:

A lot of good performances last night - particularly defensively. But just wanted to give a special mention to Paul Allan. Think he’s been really good the last 2 games. He’s got a bit of Gary Mason about him. Will always show for the ball and drop deep/move into pockets of space to make sure he’s always available. Also got a decent range of passing.

He was always the one that coaches raved about. But injuries stalled his career, while McCann and Todd progressed. Good to see him putting in some good performances recently. Hopefully he can stay fit and keep improving.

Completely agree. Looks a safe pair of feet in the middle of the park which is handy because if Bene and Breen are going to be out then Hammy will feature a lot more in the defence.

He's got a wee bit of bite about him and technically is good.

I know Morton are bottom of the league, but they're a big physical group. For our defence to stand up to them last night when it's already very weakened with natural centre half's and a lack of height, I was impressed. Not many teams as physical as Morton in the league. Better players, by far but in terms of physicality they're well up there and the boys handled it well.

52 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

United are a better side than us but would still hope and expect we can give them a game on Friday.

After that, we have ICT, Arbroath and QP all at EEP; need to be looking for 7 points from those IMO. Might not get that but has to be the aim.

We more than matched United at Tannadice, but we did have a (near) full defence that game (surprisingly Breen was injured).

I think it really depends who we have in the centre of the pitch. We need Hamilton and/or Otoo further forward and ideally we'd have Summers starting or coming on too. We need not only the middle of the pitch to link play from defence to midfield to forwards but to also shield the back three and get forward to support the attack (not the same player doing both, although Todd tried!). I'm really not as convinced with Chalmers and Allan as the two main guys in the middle as others are. Don't think they are effective as a pairing.

Unfortunately I think Hamilton and Otoo will have to remain in the back three though as doesn't seem like Benedictus or Breen will be back in time.

We need to ensure we aren't punting the ball like we did last night when we didn't need to. At times it's needed but too often last night we launched it forward to guys who had no support or simply just to the opposition. There were also times when our guys had time and space to bring a ball down but instead just kicked or headed it up the pitch.

What we definitely need to ensure is that we don't give Cudjoe the space to shoot again, or else he'll do to us what Moffat did to Morton last night (and what he did to us at Tannadice).

Aye, the three after we should be looking for 7 at a minimum, with Inverness being the toughest looking one. They looked horrendous when we played them up there earlier in the season, but under Ferguson they haven't lost and had a good result today. Of course the team will still look to win, and we definitely can, but definitely the toughest on paper.

Thankfully Arbroath don't have Nouble (I can't recall the last time one player so thoroughly dicked us in consecutive games in a single season) and we don't have Grant (I can't recall when a manager dicked us so thoroughly in consecutive games*).

*Lies!

It's one of Davie Hay, Stephen Kenny, John Potter or John Hughes

7 hours ago, 101 said:

I do think the formation might be tweaked against United, I wouldn't be against resting McCann for Summers or MOH to add more bodies into the midfield.

Aye, I know it's unlikely but part of me thinks 4-2-3-1 might be a better bet v United. Don't think the full backs will be bombing forward as much and would like to us try and smother Middleton and Sibbald in the midfield. Something like: Mehmet; Comrie, Fisher, Hamilton, Edwards; Otoo, Allan; O'Halloran, Moffat, Summers; Jakubiak. The issue I guess is that the midfield 3 that are further forward are a bit lightweight but given the way our squad is at the moment then I don't know what the solution would be.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, I know it's unlikely but part of me thinks 4-2-3-1 might be a better bet v United. Don't think the full backs will be bombing forward as much and would like to us try and smother Middleton and Sibbald in the midfield. Something like: Mehmet; Comrie, Fisher, Hamilton, Edwards; Otoo, Allan; O'Halloran, Moffat, Summers; Jakubiak. The issue I guess is that the midfield 3 that are further forward are a bit lightweight but given the way our squad is at the moment then I don't know what the solution would be.

Matty Todd is the answer

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'd go with this but would swap Hamilton and Otoo about. Hammys lack of height still concerns me and especially in a back 2.

It was great to see Kane on the bench even though he didn’t play. I was disappointed that Matty wasn’t on the bench, not because I expected either of them to get on the park, it just would have been great to know they were both considered fit enough for a wee cameo role. 
Hopefully we’ll see them both on the bench Friday night. That would give us all a boost for this tricky home game, even if they don’t get on the field 

48 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'd go with this but would swap Hamilton and Otoo about. Hammys lack of height still concerns me and especially in a back 2.

Just think Hamilton is a better organiser (even more important with Bene out) and Otoo provides some energy and heft in the midfield. Either might work though; whichever XI we start with it'll be a tough assignment. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Hamilton may be smallish in stature, but he plays like he’s six fit six and a half. Never afraid to get stuck in, and he can jump a fair height or a wee lad. 

Edited by Wacky

Ridculous the amount of times Hamilton gets dropped. Should be a starter every week in our midfield. If we could get another centre back in the door, we can start playing guys like Hamilton in their proper position more often.

Paul Allan is starting to prove his worth now too. Otoo, Hamilton and Allan all good options in the deep midfield. Chalmers not so much. Looks like the same slow half hearted midfielder from 2 years ago.

48 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Chalmers not so much. Looks like the same slow half hearted midfielder from 2 years ago.

Id disagree that he looks half hearted, and tbh it's about the only thing McPake has been clear that he won't tolerate.