Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Big pressure to get things right in the next five days, we've just announced a supporters meeting for a week tomorrow, usual review of the season so far and Q&A with Dave Cook and James McPake. Can imagine this one will be a little more interesting, the two last season were mid-season and after the season where we'd been on top and doing well.

I can imagine there'll be a lot of questions asked about recruitment, the Wotherspoon saga and aims for the second half of the season amongst other things. Looking forward to it.

22 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I can't be arsed looking. Can anyone be bothered researching his signings for us? Not interested in what he did at Dundee to be honest. 

If you were being pedantic you would be correct in saying that the only two permanent signings he's made, who the coaching team didn't previously manage/play with were Max Little and Chris Hamilton. 

Again though, that would be a bit pedantic because KRH and Otoo were new, however we had them on loan first. 

There does seem to be a bit of a pattern with our signings really, even if you look at our loan signings they all seem to originate from Dundee or the Old Firm*, Robbie Mahon being a bit of an outlier in that he came from Motherwell.

I don't think it'd be a bad thing to perhaps expand our horizon. 

*Moffat has came from Blackpool but we tried to get him originally from Celtic B. 

5 hours ago, par-adise said:

Since he joined us Dundee fans just can't pass up any opportunity to come on here to tell us how shite McPake is. It's a level of obsession I can't understand. He can't even be in their top 10 worst managers. 

He's there or there abouts.

All the best with him, won't comment again if it upsets you.

Thank you.

On 26/11/2023 at 14:57, Ymscorer said:

You for real ? Exactly what you guys did with Calderwood pampering his extravagances!! For what it’s worth you guys could well finish in play offs . Needing a hand up front.

Plenty morons in Scottish football. Spending what you can’t afford is never a great idea irrespective of decade.as you know to your cost. Still very relevant today.

16 minutes ago, Ymscorer said:

Plenty morons in Scottish football. Spending what you can’t afford is never a great idea irrespective of decade.as you know to your cost. Still very relevant today.

So you agree with DA Baracus saying they would be morons to do that?

Were you just desperate to bring up the Calderwood era in a relevant manner? It didn’t really work did it. 

What we thinking tonight then? I think he needs to shake it up a wee bit. We don’t exactly have loads to play with but assuming Bene and Breen aren’t fit I’d go with… 

Deniz

Comrie - Fisher - Otoo - Edwarda

Hammy - Allan

KRH - Moffat - Matty Todd

Wighton

Wasn't really sure if Matty or Moffat would be better suited in the wide left role. Also, would it be more beneficial having Otoo in the middle as opposed to Hammy? Jakubiak was awful on Friday, McCann not much better so I’m going for Wighton. I still think he’s a better footballer than both but we have to be real that we don’t actually have a proper centre forward at the club that will score 20-25 goals at this level. Hopefully with the three playing in behind we’ll have plenty pace, energy and create chances for Wighton.

I don’t know if it’s been posted here, and to be honest I don’t go back any more that a page or two on here when I log in, but I was sitting with a coffee at work and decided to take a wee look on dafc.net. There’s fifteen minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I read the Dick Campbell thread, but the one thread that caught my eye was titled “McFake out”. Are these guys serious? Surely it’s not that bad to warrant JMcP being booted oot? 
To be fair I only read a few posts and opinions were split, but I personally think it’s a really harsh subject title. 
I agree with this post from a guy that uses both Pars forums, and also contributes here 

opic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 09:32

This forum needs put to sleep.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Pretty sure KRH, O'Halloran and Moffat would fill that role.

I'll give you KRH but in not sure the other two could. Moffat was lost on the left on Friday and OHal I don't think can cut it out there anymore. Would love to be convinced otherwise though of course. 

55 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I don’t know if it’s been posted here, and to be honest I don’t go back any more that a page or two on here when I log in, but I was sitting with a coffee at work and decided to take a wee look on dafc.net. There’s fifteen minutes of my life I’ll never get back. I read the Dick Campbell thread, but the one thread that caught my eye was titled “McFake out”. Are these guys serious? Surely it’s not that bad to warrant JMcP being booted oot? 
To be fair I only read a few posts and opinions were split, but I personally think it’s a really harsh subject title. 
I agree with this post from a guy that uses both Pars forums, and also contributes here 

opic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 25 Nov 09:32

This forum needs put to sleep.

A bin of a forum.

Football fans are incredibly fickle though and our fanbase is no different.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A bin of a forum.

Agreed, but I’ve noticed that some fans have a different attitude on that site than they do on the eastend bounce forum. There’s just something about the dafc.net site that appears to bring the worst out in some of its users. 
I agree though, us fans are fickle as f**k. 

Edited by Wacky

To me, without another experienced centre back I don't really see Fisher or Otoo working in a back 4. Hamilton should really only be there in an emergency too imo. McPake will most likely continue on with the 3 at the back. 

Which makes it all the stranger that McPake didn't sign another one in the summer? Maybe there just wasn't someone available who he liked, but it seemed like an obvious requirement. The recruitment in the summer I think was lighter than it needed to be. I loved bringing in Otoo, KRH and Fisher and they all made sense given their loan spells. Moffat and Summers are raw loanees but once again you can see the potential talent. The experienced signings haven't worked at all. 

Outside of Benedictus I want to see more from the veteran guys who just haven't stepped up and helped out the younger ones in the squad. Hopefully in January McPake can bring in at least a solid centre back and a striker with an eye for goals (unlikely given it's January but you can hope).

Big game tonight which could push us up into 4th and get a bit of breathing room from further down the table, looking forward to seeing how the team bounces back from Friday night. 

Edited by Nat Weederburn

dotnet is a weird place. You could say that grass is green and the sky is blue and you'll get folk steaming in to tell you you're wrong. The slightest criticism (even warranted criticism) is called "whinging" and it's full of folk who are proper head-in-the-sand happy clappers. You then get the folk who either to wind these guys up or because they are hyper negative will go on and say everything is shit; even after a 5-0 win they'd find something to moan about. 

However, the East End Bounce Forum never really took off - not sure exactly why but when I was a posting member it felt very cliquey where you had some recurring tropes that some folk seemed to think was hilarious (very much like the "#Barclays" stuff you see on here) and there never seemed to be much discussion of the game, it was more about pubs beforehand and singing sections etc which is fine, but if you want to talk about the game you have to come here to P&B or go to dotnet and hope that the likes of Socks and Raymie and a few others were at the game. There are also a few members there who admit they don't know much about football tactics and the like which makes P&B my go-to place for match reviews etc I have to say.

Doesn't seem too cold tonight but still need to wrap up warm I think as it'll get a bit colder by kick off and will be Baltic by 9.30. Need the team to give us a goal or two to warm us up. Think KRH and Todd will start then come off after an hour then we'll see how they are for Saturday. Hopefully we play with a bit more intensity and pace than Friday, where everything was slow and one-paced. Don't think it'll be a classic so any win will do tbh 

5 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

What we thinking tonight then? I think he needs to shake it up a wee bit. We don’t exactly have loads to play with but assuming Bene and Breen aren’t fit I’d go with… 

Deniz

Comrie - Fisher - Otoo - Edwarda

Hammy - Allan

KRH - Moffat - Matty Todd

Wighton

Wasn't really sure if Matty or Moffat would be better suited in the wide left role. Also, would it be more beneficial having Otoo in the middle as opposed to Hammy? Jakubiak was awful on Friday, McCann not much better so I’m going for Wighton. I still think he’s a better footballer than both but we have to be real that we don’t actually have a proper centre forward at the club that will score 20-25 goals at this level. Hopefully with the three playing in behind we’ll have plenty pace, energy and create chances for Wighton.

When I typed this earlier I completely forgot that Ben Summers existed. I missed the Morton (h) game but hear he was unbelievable. Purposely went to Firhill the following week to see him and he hasn't really featured since. Played albeit I think he was struggling in the Ayr loss and on the bench at Cappielow but has now been missing again. Be nice if he was on the bench tonight.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

A bin of a forum.

Aye, the last bit is key there. Been to games around the country and are fans are no better, nor worse when it comes to a good moan. 

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

dotnet is a weird place. You could say that grass is green and the sky is blue and you'll get folk steaming in to tell you you're wrong. The slightest criticism (even warranted criticism) is called "whinging" and it's full of folk who are proper head-in-the-sand happy clappers. You then get the folk who either to wind these guys up or because they are hyper negative will go on and say everything is shit; even after a 5-0 win they'd find something to moan about. 

However, the East End Bounce Forum never really took off - not sure exactly why but when I was a posting member it felt very cliquey where you had some recurring tropes that some folk seemed to think was hilarious (very much like the "#Barclays" stuff you see on here) and there never seemed to be much discussion of the game, it was more about pubs beforehand and singing sections etc which is fine, but if you want to talk about the game you have to come here to P&B or go to dotnet and hope that the likes of Socks and Raymie and a few others were at the game. There are also a few members there who admit they don't know much about football tactics and the like which makes P&B my go-to place for match reviews etc I have to say.

Doesn't seem too cold tonight but still need to wrap up warm I think as it'll get a bit colder by kick off and will be Baltic by 9.30. Need the team to give us a goal or two to warm us up. Think KRH and Todd will start then come off after an hour then we'll see how they are for Saturday. Hopefully we play with a bit more intensity and pace than Friday, where everything was slow and one-paced. Don't think it'll be a classic so any win will do tbh 

Ach, the only thing I miss about dafc.net is Socks, cracking poster.