Walking Down The Halbeath Road

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They'd be absolute morons to sink that in to a football club.

You for real ? Exactly what you guys did with Calderwood pampering his extravagances!! For what it’s worth you guys could well finish in play offs . Needing a hand up front.

3 minutes ago, Ymscorer said:

You for real ? Exactly what you guys did with Calderwood pampering his extravagances!! For what it’s worth you guys could well finish in play offs . Needing a hand up front.

I have zero clue what relevance what happened decades ago has here.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure a new striker is going to be any use if we play like we did on Friday. They wouldn't suddenly get more chances.

Agreed, the problems run deeper than that IMO. 

Handy little graphic below but it matches what I'm watching at games, the quality of chances that our strikers are getting are pish. Just simply getting another striker in without any thought as to how we're going to make chances is daft. 

I followed Brentford allot when I lived down south and during that time they had three consecutive seasons where the main striker got 20 goals plus (Maupay, Watkins and Toney).Maupay and Watkins were sold, and each striker is slightly different from the last. I remember an interview with the DoF asking about this fantastic strike rate of bringing in good attackers, and he was fairly blasé about it and said what was more important was giving them the best opportunity to score, we aren't doing that. We've brought in Jakubaik, a striker who's just won promotion with Dundee and looked ok and we're making him look like an absolute ringer, despite Wighton scoring a good amount last year he got allot of criticism for looking shite. And I don't think he's bad. 

What's more important than just bringing in another striker to look shite, we should be looking at the attacking talent we have and figuring out how to make them look good. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

McPake stated that he wanted Wotherspoon, but it didn’t happen. He can only identify the players he wants, I’m sure it’s up to the board to get the deals across the line? 
I know that every club’s owners will have a cap on what their prepared to spend on players, but the millionaire owners of DAFC must surely be aware that we need a wee leg up on the scoring front at the very least? This January window is going to make or break our season, I just hope our club owners see it that way too 

I'm not sure I subscribe to the thought that McPake is identifying all these experienced players and it's purely the boards fault they're not signing. 

McGowan(Who I'm glad we didn't sign tbh) and Wotherspoon are often mentioned, but we did sign Jakubaik and MoH. 

On a related note, when you look at the players we sign, the ones we are rumoured to be signing, do we actually have a scouting department or is it just McPake phoning players that he's already played with or managed? 

44 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Agreed, the problems run deeper than that IMO. 

Handy little graphic below but it matches what I'm watching at games, the quality of chances that our strikers are getting are pish.

Wonder where this guy gets his info? Presumably wyscout?  I’d be very interested to see our xG stats if they are publicly available. Like you I suspect they aren’t great and I can’t imagine we are significantly under performing them in actual goals.

A good finisher would help, then we’d maybe outperform our xG but even doing that is only going to get you a handful of goals.  Our chance creation needs to be upped,  I suspect last week would one of the only match days where we’d be top half with it.

If it is wyscout @Random Guycan you give us that info?

Edited by parsforlife

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Wonder where this guy gets his info? Presumably wyscout?  I’d be very interested to see our xG stats if they are publicly available. Like you I suspect they aren’t great and I can’t imagine we are significantly under performing them in actual goals.

A good finisher would help, then we’d maybe outperform our xG but even doing that is only going to get you a handful of goals.  Our chance creation needs to be upped,  I suspect last week would one of the only match days where we’d be top half with it.

If it is wyscout @Random Guycan you give us that info?

Aye, on the bottom right hand side of the graphic that the data's from wyscout, I'm not sure xG information for the Scottish championship is available anywhere that doesn't require a subscription. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure a new striker is going to be any use if we play like we did on Friday. They wouldn't suddenly get more chances.

Wasn’t in response to Friday. We created nothing and improving strike options wouldn’t have made a difference to that result. It’s more that, when we have played well, we haven’t taken our chances. See the Inverness game. See the Morton away game, where it was a tense finish because we wasted chances.

Last season, we wasted a lot of chances too. Took forever to get that goal some weeks. It wasn’t as costly, because we rarely conceded. However, if anything, we’re now weaker than last year (in terms of goal threat) as Todorov was one of our better goal scorers.

Last season I don’t think anyone felt Wighton, McCann, Todorov & O’Hara would be a good enough set of forwards for the Championship.

However, I really don’t think that Jakubiak is an improvement on the two we let go over the summer.

Midfield is the bigger issue to solve first though; we will struggle this season if we don’t get better solutions in there.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They'd be absolute morons to sink that in to a football club.

19 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Hope not,  unintended consequences perhaps but its actively encouraging defenders to sit deeper.   There's not a chance defenders are letting someone get half a yard on them and let them go,.

Infantino's quote just make him look like a twat.  There's no need to make football more offensive, its a game between attack and defence with both areas being intriguing,  there's no need to weight the scales in either direction.

What's going on here then?  Shifted from 'we're not spending much' to 'well we've got loadsa money'  pick one ffs. 

I was purely responding to one of your fellow pars fans in that it was alluded to that it’s the Dean Mackenzie show far from it hence the 2 Rovers supporting business men I mentioned , If the poster is correct that a non playing staff member is on eye watering money maybe this individual is bringing in valuable income ? Via his/ her role within the club , Regarding splashing money it’s on record that the Rovers budget is comparable with a lot of clubs in the championship stated by John Sim infact he said some clubs would be cutting budgets this season , Maybe you guys need to look closer to home signing the likes of jakubiak who I bet won’t be on crap money , Wighton have you not extended his deal and Mehmet and the likes . 

Random one, but anyone see a large number of red bobble hats at the game on Friday? Style of the red away top with the cool collar from 1992 and Landmark writing on them?

They were pretty cool. Was so disappointed after Friday I just went straight home so didn’t pop into the shop, but can’t see them on sale anywhere. Can’t see any Pars bobble/wooly hats actually.

The Christmas section has a naff Santa style hat in black, I’d be shocked if anyone buys one, then a couple of Christmas stockings. It’s a bit sh*t although I did get the away kit for the wee man in the Black Friday sale, was nearly £20 off so credit where it’s due for that. 

18 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

3000 pages of this thread now.

Not looked back, but believe it was started shortly after being relegated from the Premiership away to Hibs? Feels like a lifetime ago. 

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I think Friday was an exceptionally shite day at the office for us. We have created plenty chances in many league games and couldn’t convert. We created a barrow load against ICT, that could be considered an inordinate amount of chances for us in that one game, and failed to score. We haven’t done too badly in many league games, and I think a player who can hit the target would have made all the difference. Our league games against rovers could have been very different if we converted the small amount of the chances we made. 
A decent striker would definitely help IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Yes, been there and seen it all, not good enough really.

I can't be arsed looking. Can anyone be bothered researching his signings for us? Not interested in what he did at Dundee to be honest. 

Edited by da_no_1

16 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I can't be arsed looking. Can anyone be bothered researching his signings for us? Not interested in what he did at Dundee to be honest. 

Since he joined us Dundee fans just can't pass up any opportunity to come on here to tell us how shite McPake is. It's a level of obsession I can't understand. He can't even be in their top 10 worst managers. 

Big pressure to get things right in the next five days, we've just announced a supporters meeting for a week tomorrow, usual review of the season so far and Q&A with Dave Cook and James McPake. Can imagine this one will be a little more interesting, the two last season were mid-season and after the season where we'd been on top and doing well.

I can imagine there'll be a lot of questions asked about recruitment, the Wotherspoon saga and aims for the second half of the season amongst other things. Looking forward to it.

22 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

If you were being pedantic you would be correct in saying that the only two permanent signings he's made, who the coaching team didn't previously manage/play with were Max Little and Chris Hamilton. 

Again though, that would be a bit pedantic because KRH and Otoo were new, however we had them on loan first. 

There does seem to be a bit of a pattern with our signings really, even if you look at our loan signings they all seem to originate from Dundee or the Old Firm*, Robbie Mahon being a bit of an outlier in that he came from Motherwell.

I don't think it'd be a bad thing to perhaps expand our horizon. 

*Moffat has came from Blackpool but we tried to get him originally from Celtic B. 

5 hours ago, par-adise said:

Since he joined us Dundee fans just can't pass up any opportunity to come on here to tell us how shite McPake is. It's a level of obsession I can't understand. He can't even be in their top 10 worst managers. 

He's there or there abouts.

All the best with him, won't comment again if it upsets you.

Thank you.

On 26/11/2023 at 14:57, Ymscorer said:

Plenty morons in Scottish football. Spending what you can’t afford is never a great idea irrespective of decade.as you know to your cost. Still very relevant today.

16 minutes ago, Ymscorer said:

Plenty morons in Scottish football. Spending what you can’t afford is never a great idea irrespective of decade.as you know to your cost. Still very relevant today.

So you agree with DA Baracus saying they would be morons to do that?

Were you just desperate to bring up the Calderwood era in a relevant manner? It didn’t really work did it.