Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

But like last season, is that really down to the keeper or more the defense in front of him. For me it's the defence that's done the job, despite the howlers of the keepers we've had in the goals or Mehmet stuck to his line every cross and corner. 

I would tend to largely agree but doesn’t mean it’s not an overreaction to just say bin a keeper you just gave a three-year deal to.

Ditch the keeper isn’t exactly going to be a convincing argument when the side are sitting 4th with such a strong defensive record.

We all know the reality beneath the surface is a bit different of course but just felt it needed to be pointed out.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

24 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Anyone thinking we should have kept Todorov must not have watched that game last week, Jakubiak can't buy a goal but he's a much better player overall imo.

We need a striker that is far more clinical than either of them.

Both would be absolutely fine if playing alongside a Nicky Clark or Kevin Nisbet who was scoring every other week.

Mehmet is a costly mistake. Sharp needs to go back to Dundee. Little is a waste of a wage too. With those two wages we need a genuine 1st choice keeper at top end championship level. Try down south or something different to the small pond we recruit from.

We've hemorrhaged far too many goals for this to go on any longer. Having a crap keeper and no half decent goalscorers is holding us back. The Chalmers and Allan issue can at least be solved by putting Otoo and Hamilton into midfield when out defenders return.

12 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Mehmet is a costly mistake. Sharp needs to go back to Dundee. Little is a waste of a wage too. With those two wages we need a genuine 1st choice keeper at top end championship level. Try down south or something different to the small pond we recruit from.

We've hemorrhaged far too many goals for this to go on any longer. Having a crap keeper and no half decent goalscorers is holding us back. The Chalmers and Allan issue can at least be solved by putting Otoo and Hamilton into midfield when out defenders return.

This is the tweet.

15 hours ago, Heaton said:

But like last season, is that really down to the keeper or more the defense in front of him. For me it's the defence that's done the job, despite the howlers of the keepers we've had in the goals or Mehmet stuck to his line every cross and corner. 

Last season he barely had anything to do. The defence selection was consistent and the back 3 marshelled everything that came our way.

This season we're back to chopping and changing due to injuries, it's a wonder how we've still got a decent goals against tally.

FWIW I'd bin all 3 goalies, too many simple errors being made at this level.

Would just like to say that McPake stuck by Jack Hamilton for the best part of a year after he'd already been dropped by the two previous managers before signing the infinitely better Adam Legzdins. So he probably still thinks Mehmet is world class tbf.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would just like to say that McPake stuck by Jack Hamilton for the best part of a year after he'd already been dropped by the two previous managers before signing the infinitely better Adam Legzdins. So he probably still thinks Mehmet is world class tbf.

Aye I fully expect Mehmet to stay in the side but I'd put Sharp in for at least Arbroath and Ayr.

Little must be way off the pace if he can't get ahead of these 2 based on their form this season.

2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Aye I fully expect Mehmet to stay in the side but I'd put Sharp in for at least Arbroath and Ayr.

Little must be way off the pace if he can't get ahead of these 2 based on their form this season.

Aye I think me and you mentioned this on Saturday at the game. I've never seen him play but the manager must have little faith.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We’ve conceded 38 goals in our last 51 league games.

Having had a wee look, we’ve actually conceded fewer goals than any other SPFL side since the start of last season.

Even if you add in the Highland and Lowland Leagues, only Brechin City, Buckie Thistle and Banks O’Dee have conceded fewer.

I understand why people aren’t happy with Mehmet after Saturday’s performance but to claim we’re struggling due to conceding too many goals is quite frankly utter bollocks.

Again the lack of goals against isn't down to the keeper. This nor last season. It's the defence. I appreciate a keepers mistakes will stand out, but when they are as basic as what we've seen, they rightly should stand and be singled out. 

Edited by Heaton

47 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

We're worse off for having conceded goals that the keepers shouldn't have.

We’re worse off because we don’t score enough goals, not because we concede too many. The stats show this quite clearly.

There have been goalkeeping errors but not as many as people have claimed. The lack of creativity and a reliable goalscorer are far bigger concerns that should be addressed.

5 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We’re worse off because we don’t score enough goals, not because we concede too many. The stats show this quite clearly.

There have been goalkeeping errors but not as many as people have claimed. The lack of creativity and a reliable goalscorer are far bigger concerns that should be addressed.

The issues can co-exist. It's not a one or the other problem.

21 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

The issues can co-exist. It's not a one or the other problem.

I agree with that theory but I don’t believe it’s a major issue.

If having the best defensive record in the country - despite not having a reliable keeper - is not enough to see us succeed, then the main problem is clearly at the other end of the pitch.