Jump to content

Walking Down The Halbeath Road


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I might be getting ahead of myself but I'd like to think next season we could push to mount a title challenge.

 

I’d expect so but Falkirk will provide tough  opposition and desperate to get out of league 1 too mind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, spot on said:

I’d expect so but Falkirk will provide tough  opposition and desperate to get out of league 1 too mind 

Hopefully the wee fat flappy penguin is still in charge then. Serial bottler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

You have to draw the line somewhere on what's considered a successful season though surely? I've posted it a few times, but in the ten seasons since the playoffs were introduced to the Championship, the previous seasons league one winners have then finished in the following position in their first season back up - 

2nd - Once

3rd - Twice

4th - Three times 

5th - Three times

10th - Once

I reckon it should be noted that the one time that the league winner didn't finish in the top five, the playoff winner (Queens Park) came third. 

So for me if we were to come 6th, I wouldn't class it as a good season. I also wouldn't be calling for the managers head if we were to come 6th, but it would be the second lowest finish of any league one winning side, that would give me a bit of concern. 

What would be key for me, is that if we do finish outside the playoffs this year, we need to finish in them next year. If that doesn't happen questions should be getting asked. 

Except you’ve provided absolutely zero context.

Morton did finish 5th in 15/16 but turn one of their wins into a draw and they’d have been 7th - would their season have suddenly been a failure?

We finished 5th our first season up but looked quite shite for most of it and failed to win 24 of our 36 games.

Arbroath were awarded 5th when COVID hit but who knows what would have happened had the season finished as planned.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Livingston also the only L1 winners in your list to have since gone on and reached the Premiership?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Except you’ve provided absolutely zero context.

Morton did finish 5th in 15/16 but turn one of their wins into a draw and they’d have been 7th - would their season have suddenly been a failure?

We finished 5th our first season up but looked quite shite for most of it and failed to win 24 of our 36 games.

Arbroath were awarded 5th when COVID hit but who knows what would have happened had the season finished as planned.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Livingston also the only L1 winners in your list to have since gone on and reached the Premiership?

... Because as I said you have to draw the line somewhere, and the line for what is, or isn't a successful season is usually the league placing. Turn the last Queens Park game of last season into a win and Dundee don't win the title, I'm pretty confident in saying that if Dundee didn't win the title they'd have judged there season to be a failure. 

You also have Rangers, however I'm not really sure on the relevancy of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dundee were odds on title favourites so yes, of course, not winning the title would have been a failure.

The idea our season would suddenly be a success because we were marginally less shite than Airdrie, Queen’s Park and Ayr is fanciful.

If finishing in Top 4 was a great indicator that you’ll be promoted the following season then I’d agree with you but it clearly means very little. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Dundee were odds on title favourites so yes, of course, not winning the title would have been a failure.

The idea our season would suddenly be a success because we were marginally less shite than Airdrie, Queen’s Park and Ayr is fanciful.

If finishing in Top 4 was a great indicator that you’ll be promoted the following season then I’d agree with you but it clearly means very little. 

 

We won the league last year because we were less shite than Falkirk, if we ever win the title it'll be because we were less shite than another 9 teams, being marginally less shite than teams and finishing above them in the table is the name of the game. 

You have a better chance of getting promoted of finishing within the playoffs than by finishing in 6th. Certainly didn't do Livingston any harm. You're argument of it meaning very little is surely more inductive of teams getting promoted from league one not getting to the Premier league very often? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, spot on said:

I’d expect so but Falkirk will provide tough  opposition and desperate to get out of league 1 too mind 

Going back, I'd expect them to at least finish top five. They'll throw more money at is aswell, wouldn't at all be shocked to see them in the playoffs next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know there were some rumours recently about Joe Cardle training with the club. I was in the club shop on Friday and Joe's pickup with the JC Academy was parked at wee car park between the main stand and south stand where the players park, near the gym so looks like he's certainly there.

Wonder if we'll get one last dance, now until May, wee cameos off the bench then retires on the East End pitch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the updates from the supporters meeting Kane is getting shoulder surgery this week.

On a brighter note Bene is running and both him and Breen are expected back before Christmas. They also said Tod should be back involved soon, Moff and Summers are both in full training.

Fisher in a moon not but not as serious as first thought.

Edited by VinnyPar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

According to the updates from the supporters meeting Kane is getting shoulder surgery this week.

On a brighter note Bene is running and both him and Breen are expected back before Christmas. They also said Tod should be back involved soon, Moff and Summers are both in full training.

Fisher in a moon not but not as serious as first thought.

Got a friend who was there and he said we’re going to activate a 12 month extension on Edwards’ contract too.

Was also confirmed that Wotherspoon knocked back our offer and he would have been our highest earner if he accepted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Got a friend who was there and he said we’re going to activate a 12 month extension on Edwards’ contract too.

Was also confirmed that Wotherspoon knocked back our offer and he would have been our highest earner if he accepted.

One of our highest earners, don't think Cook said highest. 

Copy and paste from another forum - 

I thought that was really good, quite a few really good questions which were in turn answered very well by David Cook and McPake. A brief summary on some of the questions that were asked.

 

Finances - The very first question asked about rumours circulating with regards to our finances, from what I remember he used the term "I heard we were struggling". Cook then answered this by saying that if we are struggling then it was news to him, re affirmed that the intention of the club was to be self sustainable. The original questioner then followed up by asking if we had broke even last season to which Cook answered "In league one? Absolutely not, we lost a fortune" gulp. A figure was then asked which has been kicking about in rumours but Cook replied with that the accounts getting written up right now he wasn't willing to answer on specifics.

 

50/50/ Programmes - A question with regards to 50/50 tickets and programmes, didn't quite catch it but from the answer it seems we're struggling to find 50/50 and programme sellers, with the amount sold not being great.

 

Edwards Contract - We have an option of another year on his contract, McPake seemed pretty happy and confident in saying it'll be getting used. Purely my own opinion here but I'd guess the reason this hasn't been taken up, is that we're trying to get more than just a year?

 

Squad Building - This was a great question, and truthfully I'm not going to be able to do it justice. The question was about how we'd got our squad together, pointing out that despite having known about Jak we didn't sign him till very late on so it seemed like a panic signing, pointing out that neither MoH or Jak have even played half the minutes available. This was mentioned with regards to MoH who hasn't played much despite KRH being injured. McPake to his credit answered this as frankly as he could, said that MoH had got injured and that might've been down to us putting to much load on him in pre-season? And that we had tried to sign Jak last January but it didn't happen. Said that after how well they played coming on against Arbroath they were both due to start against QP.

 

Lack of goals - McPake said that it was something that was frustrating him, mentioned that they had data on a website which indicated we had the second highest xG in the league behind Dundee United, didn't rule out that they're always looking for improvements in terms of recruitment, however we also need to work with the players we have to improve them.

 

Training Ground - Question was asked about the modular buildings, and how they weren't originally the plan and what was happening with the building. Cook answered that the 1st phase which they hope to have completed by March/Springtime was for the Astro turf, and grass pitches to be touched up to be ready. The long term plan was still to utilise the building however they feel it needs to be tackled in phases, and it's better to get the team in the training ground. Rising construction costs were mooted.

 

Re-arranged QP game - We've asked for it to be the Scottish Cup weekend, QP have agreed so we're just waiting on the SFA/SPFL to rubber stamp it.

 

Playing System - McPake was asked about us predominantly playing a back three, said that we were going to play with a back 3 against QP, but he's not stubborn and will play whatever system he feels is best for the day. In his opinion if we were to move away from a back 3 we would lose some of the effectiveness that we get from KRH and Edwards.

 

The Raith game - Asked what had gone wrong, again McPake was very open and frank, said that he didn't believe going to a back four helped. They weren't expecting Raith to play with a back three (they hadn't before, or since), he said that Raith had outworked us also. Primarily though he blamed himself.

 

ParsTV- Question noted it was volunteers and they were appreciated, however said there were weekly groans on dafc.net about the service, asked if the club were aware? Cook replied they they were in constant dialog with ParsTV and it could be improved, service isn't great.

 

Injures - KRH needs surgery, it will hopefully be this week but there wasn't a timescale on his return.

 

Bene is back running and wanted to be on the bench for Saturday, was never going to happen but he's keen.

 

Breen is pretty similar to Bene, McPake hopes that both are back before Christmas.

 

Tod is progressing, was an issue with the ligament on the outside of his knee.

 

Summers was back on the bench for the QP game, so he's avalaible.

 

Moffat should be Ok for this weekend hopefully, wouldn't have made QP because he was still quite tight.

 

Fisher still had a moon boot on today however the scans have came back showing there's no sever damage, just some aggressive swelling which is why they still have the moon boot on, they hope he'll be back before Bene and Breen, but this Saturday is too soon. Next Saturday though?...

 

Wotherspoon - His lack of signing was brought up, we had made him an offer that would've made him one of our highest paid players, he had a couple of weeks to sign but he pursued other options, McPake still speaks to him occasionally and it was asked if there was any chance of him signing in January but McPake seemed to indicate he want's to try MLS/Playing in Canada.

 

Thrown objects - Cook was asked about the potential policing costs of this, thought he came across really well in saying that while he absolutely loves the North West and the atmosphere they create, he cannot understand why anyone would thrown a coin at an opposition player/linesman. Said that a policed game costs us £6,000 per game, and that everytime something is thrown on the pitch we receive a letter asking us how it happened, and what we're doing about it. Says that it will ultimately lead to the club having to police every game, which will cost a ****e ton.

 

Board outside the stadium - Cook wasn't aware the fixture board outside the stadium wasn't being updated, says that it'll change.

 

Scouting of players/signing players from further afield - Cook and McPake jointly answered this one, admitted they need to look into the England market more, said we had two loan offers accepted from the club for players down south but both players chose to go elsewhere. It is difficult for those outside the UK because of the work permit requirements, you can go to the board (Can't remember the name of it) to essentially ask for some dispensation which is how we got Gaspuitas, however in the summer we tried to sign a Ghanaian player and they rejected that request. Not long after a further question was asked about the Kenyan defender we have on trial (Faiz?), McPake doesn't think he's quite up to this level at the moment, if the work permit requirements weren't so difficult it would be worth it to sign him for the potential, but that's not really feasible.

 

Cardle - Is training with us, been a good experienced player in training, especially with all our injuries.

 

 

 

There's undoubtedly more that I forgot, and if there's any points I've not explained very well just pull me up on it, I thought McPake and Cook done really well tbf, probably moreso McPake who  was about as open and as frank as you could hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

One of our highest earners, don't think Cook said highest. 

Copy and paste from another forum - 

I thought that was really good, quite a few really good questions which were in turn answered very well by David Cook and McPake. A brief summary on some of the questions that were asked.

 

Finances - The very first question asked about rumours circulating with regards to our finances, from what I remember he used the term "I heard we were struggling". Cook then answered this by saying that if we are struggling then it was news to him, re affirmed that the intention of the club was to be self sustainable. The original questioner then followed up by asking if we had broke even last season to which Cook answered "In league one? Absolutely not, we lost a fortune" gulp. A figure was then asked which has been kicking about in rumours but Cook replied with that the accounts getting written up right now he wasn't willing to answer on specifics.

 

50/50/ Programmes - A question with regards to 50/50 tickets and programmes, didn't quite catch it but from the answer it seems we're struggling to find 50/50 and programme sellers, with the amount sold not being great.

 

Edwards Contract - We have an option of another year on his contract, McPake seemed pretty happy and confident in saying it'll be getting used. Purely my own opinion here but I'd guess the reason this hasn't been taken up, is that we're trying to get more than just a year?

 

Squad Building - This was a great question, and truthfully I'm not going to be able to do it justice. The question was about how we'd got our squad together, pointing out that despite having known about Jak we didn't sign him till very late on so it seemed like a panic signing, pointing out that neither MoH or Jak have even played half the minutes available. This was mentioned with regards to MoH who hasn't played much despite KRH being injured. McPake to his credit answered this as frankly as he could, said that MoH had got injured and that might've been down to us putting to much load on him in pre-season? And that we had tried to sign Jak last January but it didn't happen. Said that after how well they played coming on against Arbroath they were both due to start against QP.

 

Lack of goals - McPake said that it was something that was frustrating him, mentioned that they had data on a website which indicated we had the second highest xG in the league behind Dundee United, didn't rule out that they're always looking for improvements in terms of recruitment, however we also need to work with the players we have to improve them.

 

Training Ground - Question was asked about the modular buildings, and how they weren't originally the plan and what was happening with the building. Cook answered that the 1st phase which they hope to have completed by March/Springtime was for the Astro turf, and grass pitches to be touched up to be ready. The long term plan was still to utilise the building however they feel it needs to be tackled in phases, and it's better to get the team in the training ground. Rising construction costs were mooted.

 

Re-arranged QP game - We've asked for it to be the Scottish Cup weekend, QP have agreed so we're just waiting on the SFA/SPFL to rubber stamp it.

 

Playing System - McPake was asked about us predominantly playing a back three, said that we were going to play with a back 3 against QP, but he's not stubborn and will play whatever system he feels is best for the day. In his opinion if we were to move away from a back 3 we would lose some of the effectiveness that we get from KRH and Edwards.

 

The Raith game - Asked what had gone wrong, again McPake was very open and frank, said that he didn't believe going to a back four helped. They weren't expecting Raith to play with a back three (they hadn't before, or since), he said that Raith had outworked us also. Primarily though he blamed himself.

 

ParsTV- Question noted it was volunteers and they were appreciated, however said there were weekly groans on dafc.net about the service, asked if the club were aware? Cook replied they they were in constant dialog with ParsTV and it could be improved, service isn't great.

 

Injures - KRH needs surgery, it will hopefully be this week but there wasn't a timescale on his return.

 

Bene is back running and wanted to be on the bench for Saturday, was never going to happen but he's keen.

 

Breen is pretty similar to Bene, McPake hopes that both are back before Christmas.

 

Tod is progressing, was an issue with the ligament on the outside of his knee.

 

Summers was back on the bench for the QP game, so he's avalaible.

 

Moffat should be Ok for this weekend hopefully, wouldn't have made QP because he was still quite tight.

 

Fisher still had a moon boot on today however the scans have came back showing there's no sever damage, just some aggressive swelling which is why they still have the moon boot on, they hope he'll be back before Bene and Breen, but this Saturday is too soon. Next Saturday though?...

 

Wotherspoon - His lack of signing was brought up, we had made him an offer that would've made him one of our highest paid players, he had a couple of weeks to sign but he pursued other options, McPake still speaks to him occasionally and it was asked if there was any chance of him signing in January but McPake seemed to indicate he want's to try MLS/Playing in Canada.

 

Thrown objects - Cook was asked about the potential policing costs of this, thought he came across really well in saying that while he absolutely loves the North West and the atmosphere they create, he cannot understand why anyone would thrown a coin at an opposition player/linesman. Said that a policed game costs us £6,000 per game, and that everytime something is thrown on the pitch we receive a letter asking us how it happened, and what we're doing about it. Says that it will ultimately lead to the club having to police every game, which will cost a ****e ton.

 

Board outside the stadium - Cook wasn't aware the fixture board outside the stadium wasn't being updated, says that it'll change.

 

Scouting of players/signing players from further afield - Cook and McPake jointly answered this one, admitted they need to look into the England market more, said we had two loan offers accepted from the club for players down south but both players chose to go elsewhere. It is difficult for those outside the UK because of the work permit requirements, you can go to the board (Can't remember the name of it) to essentially ask for some dispensation which is how we got Gaspuitas, however in the summer we tried to sign a Ghanaian player and they rejected that request. Not long after a further question was asked about the Kenyan defender we have on trial (Faiz?), McPake doesn't think he's quite up to this level at the moment, if the work permit requirements weren't so difficult it would be worth it to sign him for the potential, but that's not really feasible.

 

Cardle - Is training with us, been a good experienced player in training, especially with all our injuries.

 

 

 

There's undoubtedly more that I forgot, and if there's any points I've not explained very well just pull me up on it, I thought McPake and Cook done really well tbf, probably moreso McPake who  was about as open and as frank as you could hope.

Thanks for summarising mate. Tried to read the dotnet updates but it constantly refreshes and jumps.

Gutter about Kane, another fu*king surgery! I noticed Newcastle keeper Nick Pope got a similar injury requiring surgery and will be out 4/5 months. Hardly gonna kick a ball this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing the review of the meeting 👍

Good to hear Bene and Breen expected to be back next couple of weeks but a real sickener - again - for wee Kane. It’s been a nightmare season for him and will need to be made of strong stuff to come back at the level he was playing at before.

Cardle is training with us - just sign him please?

Can’t honestly remember the last time I bought a programme or 50/50 ticket tbh. Understand will be tradition for many but do feel they’ve both sort of had their day to an extent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd offer 50/50 tickets and programmes with game tickets so it's offered as you checkout online or in shop making purchases.

You could even offer a season ticket with the cost added at a discount or something, with a different colour season card given so you can pick up a programme if you want it, or just don't and donate the extra to the club when buying a ST effectively. 50/50 is online so that would be easy to do.

 

Certainly needs some different approaches and ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...