Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Is the squad better or worse than when Hughes got us relegated?

I'm feeling like it's better, certainly moral wise but it's so similar on that we've so many loan players in key positions. 

Seleriously if we stay up, wholesale changes are needed even if we find cash to somehow bump off a few passengers. 

I was thinking this last week, it's a strange one but I personally feel it is with more togetherness.

If you look at some of the individuals that were part of that squad like Lawless, Polworth and the Polish goalie, they've all went on to do well. Lawless did have good spells with us, but I was as surprised as anyone when Polworth started playing regularly for Killie under Derek McInnes. No doubt the Polish goalie plays over Deniz so perhaps weaker between the sticks.

I don't think defensively it's up for debate, saying we had everyone fit then there's no way Col Donaldson and Efe Ambrose even make the bench. Obviously Edwards is still here, as is Comrie and even Yogi's favourite right back Matty Todd. Bene, Fisher, MFW, Breen, Hammy, Benjamin I think is better. Also Welch-Hayes, I think could be an improvement on Comrie over time. Nothing against Comrie at all but I think when fully settled he could offer more.

The middle could be up for debate if we look at individuals but I personally think this team is better, and IIRC Dom Thomas didn't play for the last 5 or so games as it was rumoured he'd already singed a PCA with Queens Park. We still had Chalmers then, Polworth, Lawless, Dorrans who on paper sound quite good but we all know the truth. 

The striking options were much the same as we had last season, in fact exactly the same with Todorov, McCann, O'Hara and Wighton, although the latter went out on loan to Arbroath. Only other person was Bobby Kamwa from Leeds who didn't really play at all. I'll die on the should have kept Todorov hill, but personally I think Chris Kane is better than everyone mentioned there. 

That's all quite high level and just my opinion of course but I do think this squad is better and the key thing is togetherness. Would be interesting to do a side by side and analyse it.

Edited by The Toun Clock

Full highlights of the 96 game at Tannadice from Sportscene, including manager interviews and punditry.

Hard to believe that back then they'd regularly have a First Division game as the main one on the show (main meaning the most highlights and discussions) if they felt it was the biggest match, and not just have Celtic/Rangers games on first. We featured quite a few times on Sportscene that season.

On 04/03/2024 at 21:49, 101 said:

Judging by his pre match comments Miles isn't desperate to return to Livi nor be coached again by David Martindale.

Very glad he has settled in here so quickly and grabbed 2 clean sheets with his 2 starts.

He's got another two years left on his deal at the end of this season, so if he's showing to be any decent in that league so far - he'll be starting for us next season I'd imagine. Either that or you lump up a decent sum :D 

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

He's got another two years left on his deal at the end of this season, so if he's showing to be any decent in that league so far - he'll be starting for us next season I'd imagine. Either that or you lump up a decent sum :D 

He looks a decent championship full back so far. Really solid defensively but not brilliant going forward. McPake's preferred formation is 3-5-2 and I'm not sure how effective he'd be at wing back. 

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Full highlights of the 96 game at Tannadice from Sportscene, including manager interviews and punditry.

Hard to believe that back then they'd regularly have a First Division game as the main one on the show (main meaning the most highlights and discussions) if they felt it was the biggest match, and not just have Celtic/Rangers games on first. We featured quite a few times on Sportscene that season.

That is one thing that has changed. Part of a wider change in the BBC from being a public broadcaster to a pseudo commercial channel, chasing ratings.  

Edited by Union St Gilloise

4 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

No here to gloat but wtf is that Myles c**t doing at the second goal? 

pea hearted c**t - hang your head in shame 😂

I think he thinks it's curling wide.

Good to see him being made to look even more foolish after his embarrassing antics in the first half. 

Not going to lie, I’m really concerned about our chances of staying in this league. I have serious doubts about McPake’s managerial abilities, based on what we’ve seen this season.

Talk about injuries all you want, injuries weren’t the issue yesterday and that’s our worst league defeat to Rovers this season. In recent weeks, we changed the shape to a 4-2-3-1. This is the system we played in our recent wins and the system that brought the best out of a lot of our players. We have guys like Todd, Moffat, Summers, McCann, O’Halloran and KRH. All of them are best with the ball at their feet, running at defenders. The 4-2-3-1 gives them the chance to do that and we definitely got much more out of Todd in that shape than we did yesterday. Likewise, we’ve seen McCann play much better in that wide role than he does through the middle. 

We were poor against Airdrie and the manager immediately returns to trying to force the team into his back 3 that just doesn’t work with the personnel available. It’s not worked for over 3 months, I don’t know why he’s returned to it after another system was poor in one game. Funnily enough, we had the same issues, regarding having no attacking threat and just no obvious plan to create chances, that we’ve seen every time we’ve used that system since December. At 1-0, we were restricting Rovers well and had a lot of the ball. Otoo and Hamilton were doing a great job, Summers and Todd had been poor. He brought Otoo off and seemed to be shaking his head at the fans who were booing his decision. But, the fans were proven correct here and the team completely fell apart after he changed the part of the team that was actually working.

Even when it went 2-0, a decent manager would have changed something, but McPake just seems so out of his depth and just wants this system to work. It’s been over 3 months since we last got a win with this system. McPake, it seems, would rather just wait and see if it’ll come good than actually make the required changes to try and get a result.

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Not going to lie, I’m really concerned about our chances of staying in this league. I have serious doubts about McPake’s managerial abilities, based on what we’ve seen this season.

Talk about injuries all you want, injuries weren’t the issue yesterday and that’s our worst league defeat to Rovers this season. In recent weeks, we changed the shape to a 4-2-3-1. This is the system we played in our recent wins and the system that brought the best out of a lot of our players. We have guys like Todd, Moffat, Summers, McCann, O’Halloran and KRH. All of them are best with the ball at their feet, running at defenders. The 4-2-3-1 gives them the chance to do that and we definitely got much more out of Todd in that shape than we did yesterday. Likewise, we’ve seen McCann play much better in that wide role than he does through the middle. 

We were poor against Airdrie and the manager immediately returns to trying to force the team into his back 3 that just doesn’t work with the personnel available. It’s not worked for over 3 months, I don’t know why he’s returned to it after another system was poor in one game. Funnily enough, we had the same issues, regarding having no attacking threat and just no obvious plan to create chances, that we’ve seen every time we’ve used that system since December. At 1-0, we were restricting Rovers well and had a lot of the ball. Otoo and Hamilton were doing a great job, Summers and Todd had been poor. He brought Otoo off and seemed to be shaking his head at the fans who were booing his decision. But, the fans were proven correct here and the team completely fell apart after he changed the part of the team that was actually working.

Even when it went 2-0, a decent manager would have changed something, but McPake just seems so out of his depth and just wants this system to work. It’s been over 3 months since we last got a win with this system. McPake, it seems, would rather just wait and see if it’ll come good than actually make the required changes to try and get a result.

Spot on. Mcpake is not the man to take the club forward and was glaringly obvious yeaterday

WTF is with McCann continuing to time his jumps so poorly? Especially in the box, it must be an instruction. Nobody at this level surely mistimes so many attempts at heading a ball.