Walking Down The Halbeath Road

15 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Come back to play for his dad which he clearly enjoyed don't think its too "mental" to suggest that if United splashed some cash on better players and he found himself further down the pecking order, already behind Safranko and McMullan, then he might be tempted (if he was free to do so) join a team where he would be playing every week.

Had only seen that he had been out for a month didn't know why but if he's injured then fair enough.

ETA Just read he's going to be out for 3 more weeks and then Robbie wants him back in the starting XI so you were indeed correct that there is no chance of him coming back to us.

Only other option I can think of might be trying to get the young guy Celtic are using at the moment, I assume they will spend big in January to really strengthen their team and might be tempted to put him out on loan as he would ordinarily be behind Leigh and Eduard and he needs game time to develop.

I believe one of the reasons he left was the abuse he was getting. Doubt he'd want to come back for that reason alone. Even if United were looking to loan him, we'd be well down the list though. But why would they punt a guy they only signed a few months back? I realise it was a different manager but Neilson seems to really rate him and he's a great striker to have at this level. 

Re the Celtic striker (Johnson?) they would surely loan him to another Premiership team or even down south rather than a struggling Championship club. Plus I doubt we could afford it.

Hopefully they have names in mind if they're going to get someone in, but as others have said it's our way of playing that is the issue as we aren't creating enough chances for the strikers.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I believe one of the reasons he left was the abuse he was getting. Doubt he'd want to come back for that reason alone. Even if United were looking to loan him, we'd be well down the list though. But why would they punt a guy they only signed a few months back? I realise it was a different manager but Neilson seems to really rate him and he's a great striker to have at this level. 

Re the Celtic striker (Johnson?) they would surely loan him to another Premiership team or even down south rather than a struggling Championship club. Plus I doubt we could afford it.

Hopefully they have names in mind if they're going to get someone in, but as others have said it's our way of playing that is the issue as we aren't creating enough chances for the strikers.

I would agree with your points re both Strikers it was just conjecture on my part however that Johnson looks like a really good player if there was any way we could get him ti would be great, I don't think Celtic would be looking for any wages but might be looking for a better standard of football.

I would hope that Johnston has been back down to England and has a few more gems up his sleeve, in the mean time I think playing Beadling, Thomson and Martin in midfield would help out our forwards as just now Higgy is our only real creative player and I think we would be better playing Martin who can pick out some really nice passes and shots while Beadling and Thomson run themselves into the ground. 

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Not being funny but what about Nicky coming back is he injured at the moment or frozen out as he's not even been making the bench. I assume the Americans will put their hands in their pockets in January and maybe add a quality striker and who knows he might be free to come back?

I think Smith is the obvious option to play up front and have McCann out on loan. I think Cardle would be a good move for AJ, it would fill a hole in his squad and also play well with the fans and probably help Stevie Crawford out

What that the guy Todd, he did look like a good wee player however we are full of CM's at the moment.

Think it was Todd, thought he looked cracking. Be good to get him out on loan. 

Is Smith the obvious option? He hasn't done that well at Alloa or Arbroath. The problem isn't purely the strikers anyway, it's our set up and what's behind them that's the problem. 

Aye it would be great if we got him but sadly can't see it.

We need a settled and consistent midfield who know each other. For me it has to be Beadling and Thomson in the centre with Higgy on the right. Who we play on the left is a big issue though. I can't think of a single player we have that's suitable. We need a left winger. 

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What about Fez? Played there before, surely better than Muirhead, Hippo or Longridge? Is Connolly injured?

He's been playing as a wide midfielder for parts of the last two games, we've been playing a 433,he's spent more time out wide than through the middle. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Think it was Todd, thought he looked cracking. Be good to get him out on loan. 

Is Smith the obvious option? He hasn't done that well at Alloa or Arbroath. The problem isn't purely the strikers anyway, it's our set up and what's behind them that's the problem. 

Aye he looks like he has some real promise in the game!

Well the obvious and cheap option that we haven't tried yet, not sure if he would be best in a 3 or a 2 up front but seeing as it looks like we will have half our squad out injured at any one time then I would get him back in January. Hopefully we can get something like a settled midfield however I wouldn't like to see us using Vincent and Beadling in the same game unless its to counter a specific threat i.e Shankland. I just feel those to players are fine if you are protecting a lead or want to defend the game but I'd hate to see us attempt that regularly.

We've got two strikers that have only proven to score against absolute diddies in League 1 like Raith Rovers and Stranraer. 

The squad we have is absolutely shite. I'd genuinely only keep 4, maybe 5, of our current roster. Folk saying we have a good team on paper...I don't get that. AJ is obviously needing replaced but the squad is absolutely dire and needing an overhaul. 

Players who I think are top four starters are.

J.Longridge, Thomson and Higgy.

Keena, L.Longridge, Ashcroft and one or two others would interest them also. 

The rest of the squad have major flaws and I agree are looking overrated now. Maybe we are playing badly because we are just shite?

Bottom four awaits and giving AJ more money to waste isn’t a good idea. Save it and pay him off in the summer.

I think, having Robinson/Murdoch, Ashcroft, Thomson & Beadling and Keena is a really strong spine for this division, compliment that with a strong manager and decent strength out wide and you could genuinely win the league with that spine. The problem is we're so dreadfully short in both those departments.