Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I wonder what exactly the chairman has been impressed with Crawford about because going forward we’ve been awful and only Keena seems to have any idea and suited to how we play. I really can’t think of one chance Fais has had to run in the channels or use his pace. It’s really inexcusable that we haven’t utilised our forward players correctly.

The five at the back formation minus Higgy was absolutely crazy and really we’ve never recovered from it. Williamson was good last season but you can’t expose him like that defensively. Just madness. 

I believe though that there’s a team in there capable of the top four but can we afford to tinker around with it too much?

Defensively I think Durnam and Ashcroft are the two best centre halves. One of our best runs coincided with them playing together.

Left back has to be Longridge but tbh he’s been off a bit lately.

Right back on merit should be Craigen, he got player of the month playing there. I would like to see Martin get a chance though. I rate him and he’s decent going forward.

Midfield, we have quality in the central areas defensively. Thomson, Beadling and Vincent are all excellent workers and good on the ball. Maybe too similar? You can add Craigen in there also. Mal Martin is great when he has time and space but he’s too slow and has been caught out and cost us two or three goals. The right hand side has to be Higgy. Left hand side we have four players who all have potential but need to be consistent. Longridge, Hippo, Connolly and Muirhead. Absolutely daft that we have such depth here. All of them have yet to show they can make this position there own in the same way Aird or Cardle did. I really couldn’t say who should start?L Longridge is probably the best technically but is he really a wide player? Can we use him as an attacking force in the centre, then do we have to drop Thomson? We seem to have signed players without thinking about a system or now that the 5 at the back failed we were all over the place it seems. 

Attack, Fais has been a disaster but it’s not all his fault. His confidence has been shattered at Dens and the last thing he needs is chasing hoofed passes as he’s not a physical player. Ryan is a natural scorer apart from the awful miss and deserves a run if he comes back. Keena seems like number one which is shocking considering he was a stop gap signing who we got as a result of playing hearts in the cup probably. It’s this area that I thought Crawford would have improved but we seem out of ideas and resort to playing Hippo who has done okay considering he’s not really a striker. Sometimes we just need bodies in the box, we seem to be really missing Clark and his knowledge of where to stand and run. Crawford should be teaching that to Fais. I’m not impressed tbh.

It will be interesting to see the lineup on Saturday and if there’s any major tactical changes. I’m hoping Crawford has some great ideas and that AJ and Clark have been holding him back maybe? Real pity it didn’t happen a few months back and we could have resigned Joe.

7 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Buchanan isn't a Pars legend, so that's that out the window. 

This is either going to be absolutely glorious or an abject failure. I really, really hope it's the former as Stevie is, quite probably, my favourite player of all time and will stay that way regardless. 

Really hope this doesn’t go like the John Potter era. Crawford is unproven and Shields doesn’t know the team, league or anything but obviously brings something from his playing days and America. The third coach will be interesting, it also seems odd to have three first team coaches. Will they be the u20s coach? What Jackie is doing still remains a mystery, dealing with the contracts and fitness side? What about the fitness coach?

Its all a massive gamble.

1 minute ago, da_no_1 said:

Shields to replace Craw in his reserve team coaching role. Another more experienced coach to come in?

It has been confirmed that the 3rd appointment will be a young coach in similar vein to Crawford. 

2 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Shields to replace Craw in his reserve team coaching role. Another more experienced coach to come in?

On the chairman's interview he said the third coach would be young and hungry. Whatever that entails. 

Anyone got any names? Likely to have played with Crawford who is now into coaching? 

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You do understand that coaches don't just coach players who play the position they did (except goalkeepers)?

Also who is Durnam?

The chairman said he has been impressed with Crawford. I was trying to think of areas he might work on. Being an ex Scotland striker I foolishly thought he might pass on some much needed knowledge to Faissal who looks lost most weeks. Considering we can’t score our chances it really wasn’t too much of a outlandish suggestion. I couldn’t honestly tell you of much improvement of any player and can’t really see any great tactical changes that could be attributed to Crawford or anyone. Most of the time we just soldier on and if we are winning, drawing or losing we don’t change much if at all until it’s too late. In the Alloa game Goodwin brought on three subs and we went from being comfortable to flapping within twenty minutes. Joe Thomson said he didn’t know how this had happened. This is the job of the manager and on the flip side Goodwin outthought our entire management team and not for the first time this season. Yes we didn’t lose but it was completely unacceptable and this was confirmed by the chairman.

I will give Crawford and his team a chance and will always respect him but I’m being brutally honest and can’t see anything he’s brought to the club so far on the pitch. If anything we’ve went backwards since he arrived.  Obviously he won’t be getting it all his own way until now so will wait and see.

On the chairman's interview he said the third coach would be young and hungry. Whatever that entails. 

Anyone got any names? Likely to have played with Crawford who is now into coaching? 
Just going to watch that interview now....

The chairman said he has been impressed with Crawford. I was trying to think of areas he might work on. Being an ex Scotland striker I foolishly thought he might pass on some much needed knowledge to Faissal who looks lost most weeks. Considering we can’t score our chances it really wasn’t too much of a outlandish suggestion. I couldn’t honestly tell you of much improvement of any player and can’t really see any great tactical changes that could be attributed to Crawford or anyone. Most of the time we just soldier on and if we are winning, drawing or losing we don’t change much if at all until it’s too late. In the Alloa game Goodwin brought on three subs and we went from being comfortable to flapping within twenty minutes. Joe Thomson said he didn’t know how this had happened. This is the job of the manager and on the flip side Goodwin outthought our entire management team and not for the first time this season. Yes we didn’t lose but it was completely unacceptable and this was confirmed by the chairman.
I will give Crawford and his team a chance and will always respect him but I’m being brutally honest and can’t see anything he’s brought to the club so far on the pitch. If anything we’ve went backwards since he arrived.  Obviously he won’t be getting it all his own way until now so will wait and see.

What makes you think a guy like Sandy Clark would give up hid responsibilities, in terms of coaching strikers, because Stevie Crawford has come in? Watching pre-match warm ups, I’d have guessed Clark was in charge of them. I’d also say Johnston/Clark seemed far too arrogant/stubborn to listen to an inexperienced guy like Stevie, in terms of team selection/tactics. That’s pure speculation, based on watching these guys for 3 and a half years though, rather than any inside info.

I would assume the chairman’s comments related to his work with the younger players, given he went on to talk about Shields bringing on younger players in his previous job and wanting us to do something similar.

TL/Can't be arsed listening version of the chairman's thoughts:

Crawford's enthusiasm, organisation, hard work impresses him and he knows what the fans expect of the team
He spoke to Greg Shields in the summer and when he got the call about the role he pretty much went straight to his old club to tell them he was off and jumped on the plane back here. 
Macnamara's role sounds like a consultant/occasional version of a director of football. Rather than simply getting the manager's view it's someone who can help review the performance of the football/coaching etc. 

This feels like the board are assembling a Pars XI for a testimonial match rather than management for the first team.

One of Allan Johnston's successes was the professionalisation of the football side, the coaching, bringing in sports science etc. I assumed even when he moved on it would be his legacy. Now the board have decided that there needs to be complete restructure of the football side and McNamara is in to look after that. 

I am more than concerned.

The five at the back formation minus Higgy was absolutely crazy and really we’ve never recovered from it. Williamson was good last season but you can’t expose him like that defensively. Just madness. 

In what way was the five at the back formation crazy? It worked against Dundee, it worked against Dundee United. We had three centre halves, one of whom (Devine) was meant to be the one of the three who could take the ball out from the back. We had one of the best wing-backs around in Jackson Longridge and another full-back who many felt should be playing further forward. If we had a centre half with a bit more pace and who was better on the ball, it would have been a perfect formation, as it was the lack of pace wad exposed and the the three centre halves didn't look comfortable. Even at that, it's not like playing a flat back four has been an unqualified success either. Had we lined up with a back three of Ashcroft-Morris-Durnan we'd still be playing that way now I'd wager.

In what way was the five at the back formation crazy? It worked against Dundee, it worked against Dundee United. We had three centre halves, one of whom (Devine) was meant to be the one of the three who could take the ball out from the back. We had one of the best wing-backs around in Jackson Longridge and another full-back who many felt should be playing further forward. If we had a centre half with a bit more pace and who was better on the ball, it would have been a perfect formation, as it was the lack of pace wad exposed and the the three centre halves didn't look comfortable. Even at that, it's not like playing a flat back four has been an unqualified success either. Had we lined up with a back three of Ashcroft-Morris-Durnan we'd still be playing that way now I'd wager.
Crazy without Morris and higgy to bail out Williamson. Exposed on his own is crazy and it proved that way. Also with Devine and Durnan they were also done for pace.
Signing the wrong players for a new system apart from Longridge.

29 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

One of Allan Johnston's successes was the professionalisation of the football side, the coaching, bringing in sports science etc. I assumed even when he moved on it would be his legacy. Now the board have decided that there needs to be complete restructure of the football side and McNamara is in to look after that. 

I suppose the board have to look at it and say, “why, with all this sport science stuff, do we chuck it against a part time side and hardly score late goals”. The manager wouldn’t really have an answer. Someone other than the head coach who can analyse the effectiveness of the training etc could be good for the board. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

No idea m8 why would I ever know that.

Are you suggesting he is working for free?

Everyone is in the know surely?

I'm suggesting that he actually pays the club to work there.*

*I'm not actually suggesting this. I'm not really clear what his actual role will be.