Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I listened to something recently where some scientist types from somewhere like Yale or Hardvard had been studying various top sports teams. The gist of it was that in some sports, eg basketball, a star player can carry a pretty shite team to glory. However, in "soccer", their studies showed that if you want to win stuff then you are only as good as the weakest player in the team. Why am I havering all this pish? I don't really know. It's maybe that the idea of kids plus a few experienced guys is a nice ideal and suits our budget and ethos but it's maybe Stevie's inexperience and wide-eyed enthusiasm showing through. Stevie Craw > Harvard etc IMO anyway. 

If that’s true, explain 2010/11 with Alex Keddie being a regular starter.

A good proportion of the horrific goals came from right back position. Either Williamson in the worst season he's ever had or Craigen not really knowing the position.

It's hard to argue with only 40 conceded playing with a makeshift full back for majority of the season that needs cover from CBs constantly. That number would normally see clubs in the playoffs if they score a reasonable amount.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

5 minutes ago, smpar said:

If that’s true, explain 2010/11 with Alex Keddie being a regular starter.

I'm not sure I was ever sober when I saw him play so I'm probably not qualified to offer an opinion. McIntyre probably should have been more ruthless at the end of that season. Not that it mattered as we were heading for near-oblivion anyway. 

Even Jackson was guilty of leaving us exposed but that was also down to having an ever changing left winger or Blair etc...not covering when he overlapped and no partnership was really formed

So many goals were conceded from just not clearing our lines from balls into the box, basics

We didn't create massive amounts of chances but squandered the majority of what we did

another 6 are needed IMO (2 x CB, 1 x CM, 2 x winger (left and right), 1 x forward)

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I disagree totally with this. We conceded 40 goals all season. Only 6 more than the champions and the same as 2nd and 3rd place. 

The issues are scoring goals, not keeping them out.

I think part of the reason why, statistically, our defensive record doesn't look all that bad is that we had to adjust our playing system to suit the chronic lack of pace and general inability to defend by sitting incredibly deep in numbers to make it harder for teams to play through us.

This undoubtedly had an impact on our ability to attack and score goals although you could also argue that an unbalanced squad with no natural width and lack of creative midfielders had an equally big impact.

In summary, we were shite at everything.

Edited by parsdaft

I'm going to assume he means 4 additions more than were originally planned (should we continue to sell a good amount of season books).
Yes I think what he means is with season ticket sales exceeding the target then we may be able to sign an additional 4 players on top of what was budgeted.

Yes I think what he means is with season ticket sales exceeding the target then we may be able to sign an additional 4 players on top of what was budgeted.

I hope that’s what he means because our squad is looking very limited right now and 4 players on top of that doesn’t seem nearly enough.

3 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I wouldn't grumble too much with Ashcroft and Devine continuing as starting centre back pairing. I thought Danny Devine had several games where he looked very decent. Seems to be the generic target at the minute when really he's not that bad. 

He's fucking chronic, his lack of spacial and pitch awareness is absolutely shocking. 

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I listened to something recently where some scientist types from somewhere like Yale or Hardvard had been studying various top sports teams. The gist of it was that in some sports, eg basketball, a star player can carry a pretty shite team to glory. However, in "soccer", their studies showed that if you want to win stuff then you are only as good as the weakest player in the team. Why am I havering all this pish? I don't really know. It's maybe that the idea of kids plus a few experienced guys is a nice ideal and suits our budget and ethos but it's maybe Stevie's inexperience and wide-eyed enthusiasm showing through. Stevie Craw > Harvard etc IMO anyway. 

ICT won the Scottish Cup with Danny Devine and James Vincent tbf. 

I disagree totally with this. We conceded 40 goals all season. Only 6 more than the champions and the same as 2nd and 3rd place. 

The issues are scoring goals, not keeping them out.

And you can't see how our lack of attacking threat was related to our shite defence? 

It's hard to argue with only 40 conceded playing with a makeshift full back for majority of the season that needs cover from CBs constantly. 

Not particularly. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Only signing another 4 players will see us finish bottom imo.

Absolutely.