Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

What's the deal with Lesser Hampden? I seem to remember something coming out to say they'd play there for a period of time then actual Hampden for another part but I don't know anymore. Either way, we'll get to see us at a new stadium or Hampden which is decent.

We'll actually be the first game at Hampden. Before that any home games they play will be at Lesser.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

How does that work out? Everything I've read from St Johnstone fans the past couple of seasons suggests you haven't been a very good Premiership side. If that was the case why on earth have you not been playing a player who would be the most talented player from the tier below? 

Forgive me if I say this sounds a bit like a fan favourite, if not legend getting a tad overhyped. 

We were being managed by an idiot who didn't want to play Wotherspoon, let alone in his right position. He was also out injured for the best part of 9 months at the tail end of last season. As it stands he's being let go as he doesn't fit into our new style and we want to create a pathway for youngsters, but the majority of fans would happily have kept him on contribution alone, let alone status. 

Let's not forget that he was playing at the World Cup 7 months ago. He has his flaws, in that he's a little inconsistent and he's not as dynamic as he used to be (not a massive issue with the way he plays), but there's no overhyping, he could still play at Premiership level week in week out and contribute. His quality has never been in doubt.

Let's make it happen then as he can play right across the front of midfield so gives strength and depth, experience and is a good back up for Matty Todd in the unlikely event he needs a rest.

Edited by Heaton

5 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I think the key thing we need from at least one of our attacking signings is pace, we've got a few neat footballers but not many players that can threaten in behind. 

Pace would certainly be a consideration as with releasing o'hara we no longer have that, sure it will be considered.

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

Let's make it happen then as he can play right across the front of midfield so gives strength and depth, experience and is a good back up for Matty Todd in the unlikely event he needs a rest.

I'd like weatherspoon for the reasons you give,  tho I don't entirely agree with him being a back up for todd, even if they would occupy similar positions.  I felt when Todd missed games last year the biggest loss to the team was his running.  We could replace, even if it involved a slight drop in standard what he could do on the ball, we could never replace what he does without it and I doubt wetherspoon at his age would do it either.

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Excited to see if we draw 1-1 or 0-0 with Airdrie.

We’ve not had a 0-0 since McCabe took over (probably not a surprise if you’ve seen us play), so I’ll go for another 1-1 draw with the nonsense saved for the games in Airdrie once again. The bigger question is will McPake still go on about how good a team Airdrie are now that he doesn’t have McGlynn to annoy.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Have we already signed Weatherspoon?

We might not even be in for him. Just a St.J supporting mate said he thought he’d end up in the Championship and possibly with us. I personally could see him rock up at Tannadice, although I’m sure he’s a big Saints fan so might not want to make that move, but money always talks.

9 hours ago, HoBNob said:

How does that work out? Everything I've read from St Johnstone fans the past couple of seasons suggests you haven't been a very good Premiership side. If that was the case why on earth have you not been playing a player who would be the most talented player from the tier below? 

Forgive me if I say this sounds a bit like a fan favourite, if not legend getting a tad overhyped. 

He picked up a bad injury after our manager at the time decided to play him against Celtic when he'd spent the previous day travelling back to the country from Mexico.

He struggled to get back into the side once he recovered as they prioritised getting him fit so he could make the World Cup, and then afterwards he got a rest, and by the time he was properly back in contention the manager had completely lost the head and was just panicking like f**k and changing things constantly.

He was released as we desperately need to cut back on wages and the squad is already large. We had about 5 players who can the same position contracted for next season before that decision was made.

I'd be surprised if he didn't star at this level if played, but likely as a CM now, likely on the left of a 3, rather than as a winger. But we've not played with wingers for years so I dunno, he might still be fine there.

Wotherspoon would be some signing IMO. Fantastic pedigree, and played at a World Cup. Exceptional experience for this league. Very much a “about to sign for the Pars, but then Dundee United came in” sort of signing. 

We should see some movement in the coming days now we are heading in to July. McMullan was almost over the line, but broke down when Derry came in. If we can get Jakubiak and Rudden to complete the striking options, add a few centre mids, as well as (hopefully) Declan McDaid and Robert Snodgrass, we’ll have a decent team to challenge for 4th place. 

7 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Wotherspoon would be some signing IMO. Fantastic pedigree, and played at a World Cup. Exceptional experience for this league. Very much a “about to sign for the Pars, but then Dundee United came in” sort of signing. 

We should see some movement in the coming days now we are heading in to July. McMullan was almost over the line, but broke down when Derry came in. If we can get Jakubiak and Rudden to complete the striking options, add a few centre mids, as well as (hopefully) Declan McDaid and Robert Snodgrass, we’ll have a decent team to challenge for 4th place. 

Add Jakubiak Smith Snodgrass and Wotherspoon and I would be very happy.

McDaid is a sand dancer, not someone I would be going baws to the wall for.

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

'd be surprised if he didn't star at this level if played, but likely as a CM now, likely on the left of a 3, rather than as a winger. But we've not played with wingers for years so I dunno, he might still be fine there.

We're not set-up for traditional wingers either really. If he plays left midfield then he could take Chalmers place. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Is there any fruition behind Jakubiak, Rudden etc? Wouldn’t want McDaid.