Walking Down The Halbeath Road

The more I think about us signing Byrne the less likely I think it is to be true. He is surely far too similar to Chalmers and Allan. I get we need midfielders but having 3 with very similar attributes doesn’t make sense. I would think McPake would prefer to try and get minutes into Allan to see if he can play at this level - he always talks him up anyway.

I reckon if the opportunity is there to sign Byrne, we would be daft not to do it.

He's proven at this level, we can't say the same for Allan.

Hopefully Wotherspoon is announced today or tomorrow 🤞 be a good boost heading into Saturday.

30 minutes ago, 4matt091 said:

The more I think about us signing Byrne the less likely I think it is to be true. He is surely far too similar to Chalmers and Allan. I get we need midfielders but having 3 with very similar attributes doesn’t make sense. I would think McPake would prefer to try and get minutes into Allan to see if he can play at this level - he always talks him up anyway.

There's similarities there but Byrne is better than them both.

If the chance is there, do it. McPake is forever going on about being able to add quality to the squad, not just bench-warmers but guys who  will come in and fight for a place in the first XI. Shaun Byrne 100% has those qualities.

25 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Hearing Deniz will miss the first 2 months of the season.

If that is true, then what a fukin piss take of a pre-season we've had with injuries. Why does evey injury we get have to be 2 months plus tae. 

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

In a few years when we start charging that it will be just as unacceptable.

Are you saying we can never increase our prices above what we have now? Inflation means prices go up. There has been a positive inflation rate in the UK every year since at least 1960.

Just because we have 2 similar midfielders doesn't mean we shouldn't go in for Byrne. As pointed out, he will be better than Alan and adds competition for Chalmers. Alan would still get a game, even if off the bench. We need depth and quality and Byrne adds both.

The injuries we are getting just show how short we are and we were very lucky last year we didn't get many. 

29 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Are you saying we can never increase our prices above what we have now? Inflation means prices go up. There has been a positive inflation rate in the UK every year since at least 1960.

In three of the last 19 years it's been under 1% in in 6 of the last 10 it's been under 2% 

Dundee United charged £22 in the 19/20 season 

Raith Rovers incidental were charging £16 in the league below nearly £10 less than today even with promotion and this year's inflation they win the "taking the piss prize"

I'm also not that keen on, in line with inflation, price rises as inflation is the cost of typical items which football clubs in many cases aren't impacted by. Yes the energy crisis will be hitting hard but the same excuse is trotted out everytime.

28 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Just because we have 2 similar midfielders doesn't mean we shouldn't go in for Byrne. As pointed out, he will be better than Alan and adds competition for Chalmers. Alan would still get a game, even if off the bench. We need depth and quality and Byrne adds both.

The injuries we are getting just show how short we are and we were very lucky last year we didn't get many. 

True although I think the money could be spent better elsewhere ie strikers and wingers

21 minutes ago, 4matt091 said:

True although I think the money could be spent better elsewhere ie strikers and wingers

We're still five bodies short on last season. Signing Shaun Byrne doesn't mean we can't sign some more forward minded players. The right ones just haven't became available yet.

Just now, Chubbychops said:

I would be seriously worried if the manager thought Paul Allan covering the whole midfield was sufficient.

Indeed.

The idea that any sane sentient being would pass on Shaun Byrne because we’ve got Paul Allan is properly bonkers.

Like refusing your kid’s pleas for McDonalds and giving them a raw onion for their tea.

28 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Indeed.

The idea that any sane sentient being would pass on Shaun Byrne because we’ve got Paul Allan is properly bonkers.

Like refusing your kid’s pleas for McDonalds and giving them a raw onion for their tea.

The raw onion is the healthier option and therefore the better one for the child overall.  McDonald's would be tastier and provide more instant gratification but, ultimately, isn't good for them.

If you're looking to convince our German owners, with their ethos of long-term rather than short-term, I'd go with a different analogy...

1 hour ago, 101 said:

In three of the last 19 years it's been under 1% in in 6 of the last 10 it's been under 2% 

Dundee United charged £22 in the 19/20 season 

Raith Rovers incidental were charging £16 in the league below nearly £10 less than today even with promotion and this year's inflation they win the "taking the piss prize"

I'm also not that keen on, in line with inflation, price rises as inflation is the cost of typical items which football clubs in many cases aren't impacted by. Yes the energy crisis will be hitting hard but the same excuse is trotted out everytime.

To be fair, our Adult price and Category A price helps us offset the cost of providing free entry to Under 12s and a heavily discounted under 16 season ticket.

I think the Rovers pricing strategy is quite clever however it does come with the risk of suppressing the crowd for our 4 biggest home games this season. Still think we'll see plenty Pars and DU fans at both games though.

Just now, The Toun Clock said:

Same Twitter page that said Deniz was injured has also just said that not only will we sign Wotherspoon before Saturday, but also... Steven Fletcher WTF

Well now we have clarified that said Twitter page is full of shit I'm looking forward to seeing Deniz in the sticks on sat.