Walking Down The Halbeath Road

18 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Got a half ST. Anyone know if these can actually be used tomorrow? I noticed the article that accompanies the announcement, however other clubs have stated when they begin.

Starts with the rovers game on 2nd January. 

Edited by parsdaft

We've played almost every team twice now.

Seems like there are levels. There's the top two who are way ahead, then Partick, then us, then a load of teams below us. The gap between us and Partick still isn't that big in terms of points, but the gap in performance/results is. However the gap between us and 5th isn't too big either, with the performance gap closer.

We have the making of a good team I think, but as I, and plenty of others, have said, there is far too much loyalty to certain players who either aren't good enough for this league or not good enough to be a starter in most games (i.e. they're squad players at best).

Plenty of us have said that McPake needed to be a bit more ruthless in the summer. If anything I would have kept MacDonald and Todorov over some of the players we have and have brought in. Had Todorov had half the chances Jakubiak had then I don't doubt he would have scored. MacDonald would have been very decent cover for the right hand side.

There are simply too many players who aren't good enough to kick us on. Said players are probably solid mid Championship players and top level League One players, but they aren't the guys who can make us challenge at the top of the table, and when you're carrying too many of those you simply can't reach the top level in this league.

January might help with one or to, bit ultimately it won't help with addressing the squad as well as McPake's reliance on and loyalty to certain guys.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

McPake confirmed post-match that Fisher left the ground during the match to go to hospital as he was feeling “a bit dazed”.

I expected that to happen.  A decade ago he'd probably be sent home with someone to check he was alright,  20 years ago he'd be encouraged to play on,  now the protocols are rightly becoming very strict and just about every concussion outside of the very minor ones are encouraged to be checked out.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Seems like there are levels. There's the top two who are way ahead, then Partick, then us, then a load of teams below us. The gap between us and Partick still isn't that big in terms of points, but the gap in performance/results is. However the gap between us and 5th isn't too big either, with the performance gap closer.

We have the making of a good team I think, but as I, and plenty of others, have said, there is far too much loyalty to certain players who either aren't good enough for this league or not good enough to be a starter in most games (i.e. they're squad players at best).

Plenty of us have said that McPake needed to be a bit more ruthless in the summer. If anything I would have kept MacDonald and Todorov over some of the players we have and have brought in. Had Todorov had half the chances Jakubiak had then I don't doubt he would have scored. MacDonald would have been very decent cover for the right hand side.

There are simply too many players who aren't good enough to kick us on. Said players are probably solid mid Championship players and top level League One players, but they aren't the guys who can make us challenge at the top of the table, and when you're carrying too many of those you simply can't reach the top level in this league.

January might help with one or to, bit ultimately it won't help with addressing the squad as well as McPake's reliance on and loyalty to certain guys.

I agree with a lot of that.  There appears to be a little bit of self-congratulating at the club about coming up and holding our own and being in a play-off spot and whilst I'm ok with our position,  we need to be looking at how we close the gap to those above us so we can be in a position to push for promotion.   I don't think January will be enough to do that and with alot on long term contracts I'm not even sure we can get enough movement in our squad including next summer to be performing at the very top of the division.

Is the East End Bounce forum down?

Shame how that turned out. Could have been a really good alternative for Pars fans but when it first started too many of the admins were like .net admins and banned folk who dared debate them (even when they didn't know said posters were admins). They also let mass trolling go on far too long.

I know all those issues are sorted, and have been for a long time, but they fucked it with first impressions. That's sad as I think they have some good stuff (I read it fairly often*) and some excellent posters. I hope they can build their base.

*I used to post there but stopped after an admin banned me. My 'crime' was to disagree with them (over what I can't recall; they accused me of being 'seething' and said I therefore needed time to 'cool off'). Didn't post again although, as I said before, I still read it, especially after games, cos the posters there are good and have, usually, top comments.

Edited by DA Baracus

Reading about the Jakubiak vs Todorov Post above. In a struggling to score team, I can see how you'd prefer Todorov but if you get that striker that's a slotter (which is extremely scarce at this level and indeed even in the level above these days) then Jakubiak adds so much as a secondary striker. He's a genuinely great secondary striker. If you're relying on him to be a regular scorer himself though, I can see why the rage is building. Infuriating in that regard. He makes a good striker, great. He makes a poor striker slightly less poor. It's a very limited role to thrive in!

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Shame how that turned out. Could have been a really good alternative for Pars fans but when it first started too many of the admins were like .net admins and banned folk who dared debate them (even when they didn't know said posters were admins). They also let mass trolling go on far too long.

I know all those issues are sorted, and have been for a long time, but they fucked it with first impressions. That's sad as I think they have some good stuff (I read it fairly often*) and some excellent posters. I hope they can build their base.

*I used to post there but stopped after an admin banned me. My 'crime' was to disagree with them (over what I can't recall; they accused me of being 'seething' and said I therefore needed time to 'cool off'). Didn't post again although, as I said before, I still read it, especially after games, cos the posters there are good and have, usually, top comments.

Never understood the purpose of that site tbh. Can’t imagine there’s a very wide selection of Pars fans who don’t already post on here, Dot Net or FB/Twitter.

Single club forums usually end up becoming batshit anyway due to the natural echo chamber effect. P&b is far better in that regard.

Anyway, most Pars fans are probably sensible and avoid it all.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Haven’t had any issues with it being down completely, I quite regularly get a banned message when trying to access it but switch browser and it disappears.

I am not a particular fan of the admin of it, they have certainly taken a few of the bad traits from .net over especially in that having a different opinion to someone on admin is treated as a big problem and that there should be an automatic assumption that admin opinions are of more importance to other posters.

That said, despite its little traffic there’s a reasonably high percentage of posts that are worth paying attention too

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Haven’t had any issues with it being down completely, I quite regularly get a banned message when trying to access it but switch browser and it disappears.

I am not a particular fan of the admin of it, they have certainly taken a few of the bad traits from .net over especially in that having a different opinion to someone on admin is treated as a big problem and that there should be an automatic assumption that admin opinions are of more importance to other posters.

That said, despite its little traffic there’s a reasonably high percentage of posts that are worth paying attention too

Yup, they fucked it. First impressions count and they were appalling at that, for at least a couple of years. Shame, as that site really could have been much better than it is.

No one wanted a .net adjacent with folk who thought they were something because they could delete posts they didn't like and ban folk they didn't like/agree with.

They let the trolling go on for far, far too long. One poster ran all over their forum; he was so obviously trolling in almost every post but so many folk kept biting, and it got the result he wanted.

I know there's at least a couple of admins of that site who post, or did post, on here, and I wish them luck. I know their admin style has changed and that they've banned the troll (as I said, I read it quite often!). I hope their site grows and become a good place for chatting about the Pars.

I won't be back as a poster though, and I know a few folk who are the same (they said they won't stand for the sub .net shite).

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading about the Jakubiak vs Todorov Post above. In a struggling to score team, I can see how you'd prefer Todorov but if you get that striker that's a slotter (which is extremely scarce at this level and indeed even in the level above these days) then Jakubiak adds so much as a secondary striker. He's a genuinely great secondary striker. If you're relying on him to be a regular scorer himself though, I can see why the rage is building. Infuriating in that regard. He makes a good striker, great. He makes a poor striker slightly less poor. It's a very limited role to thrive in!

Agree with this. Jakubiak is a far better footballer than Todorov, his finishing is just woeful. Todorov has one goal in 14 for Airdrie so he's hardly setting the heater alight for them.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Saying McPake should have been more ruthless but also that he should have kept 2 of the 3 players he released is a bit of a contradiction. Who should have gone? 

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd agree with this on my impressions with Jak so far.

Our problem is that we don't have anyone who appears to want to be the main striker. We've got 3 decent forward players with different traits except being a ruthless b*****d in the box. 

4 hours ago, par-adise said:

Agree with this. Jakubiak is a far better footballer than Todorov, his finishing is just woeful. Todorov has one goal in 14 for Airdrie so he's hardly setting the heater alight for them.

Saying McPake should have been more ruthless but also that he should have kept 2 of the 3 players he released is a bit of a contradiction. Who should have gone? 

Mehmet Allan and Chalmers

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Mehmet Allan and Chalmers

Don't necessarily disagree but Allan and Chalmers were under contract so wouldn't have been straightforward. I think there was a suggestion that Chalmers' renewal waa because of some appearance clause being triggered? 

Deniz probably deserved another go at the championship imo but think we'll regret the three year deal unfortunately.