Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Long throws can be incredibly effective and I'd disagree about them being dinosaur tactics. Brentford for example take there set pieces really seriously, have a set piece coach and have been utilising the long throw since there promotion to the Premier league. 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-25-at-7_36.48-PM-1116x991.thumb.png.0224c4d6c033c84156457a91601b5b7e.png

I'd strongly disagree with any assertion that Thomas Frank is a dinosaur. 

The issue is we were utter pish at them, like anything in football if they're utilised well they're a threat. Morton created multiple chances against us with Strapp. 

If you can use it to your advantage why not? All this nonsense about having ti play it out from the back and everyone be poor imitations of 2010 Spain is laughable. 

Use your strengths even if its direct. Nothing wrong with it. 

54 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

If you can use it to your advantage why not? All this nonsense about having ti play it out from the back and everyone be poor imitations of 2010 Spain is laughable. 

Use your strengths even if its direct. Nothing wrong with it. 

But we don't use it to our advantage. It usually ends up in us giving the ball away and/or slowing down an attack.

As others have said, Edwards didn't quite have the reach for it to be really effective, especially coupled with fact we weren't exactly dominant in the air/box. If you're up level with the box though, a long throw is an asset you want - if you offered people a throw-in or a corner, they'd take corner almost every time and an effective long throw can be as good as a corner. 

Aside from some injury concerns, Strapp would be a significant net positive for me if we can get him in. Strengthens our squad, balance sheet improves and a competitor in same league are weaker with him gone.

I await the crushing blow that he's signed for Rovers...

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But we don't use it to our advantage. It usually ends up in us giving the ball away and/or slowing down an attack.

Not disagreeing with that. My point is more the dinosaur football claims about it. 

Ball needs to go in goal. Find way to do so. Personally don't care how, as long as we do. 

Friendlies against

East Fife on 28/06

Cove on 2/07

home to someone on 6/07

and home to Dundee on 10/07

Would have ditched the Cove game and just ran with the three given we will play them in the LC

Posted (edited)

There's genuinely folk melting down about these friendlies.

They're glorified training games. 

Folk seem to think it's still 20-25 years ago when we got English Premier League teams coming up. It's 2024, these teams are all off around the world playing 'glamour' friendlies for big cash, so why anyone expects us to be attracting big teams for a pre-season friendly is mystifying (this despite actually getting something different last year with St Pauli).

Edited by DA Baracus

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk seem to think it's still 20-25 years ago when we got English Premier League teams coming up. It's 2024, these teams are all off around the world playing 'glamour' friendlies for big cash, so why anyone expects us to be attracting big teams for a pre-season friendly is mystifying (this despite actually getting something different last year with St Pauli).

Also the League Cup group stage bringing the start of the competitive season forward misaligns us with English preseason. We're essentially too early. This has been stated many times over the last few years. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Where?(I mean I can guess...) St Pauli aside when did we last have a glamour friendly? The Man U game for nippers testimonial? That's 17 years ago ffs.  Hibs/hearts every few years is about as glamorous as it gets now

I find it interesting to declare we will have a friendly with the opposition not confirmed, that leaves me wondering if there's conditional deals in place based on European draws or possibly not if there's any pre-season tournaments that I've missed in Scotland that we've agreed to take a team on a day they aren't playing. 

Edited by parsforlife

I'd like to think the preseason game with St Pauli helped set them up for their promotion winning season. Running rings around us surely instilled some confidence there.

Shame we're not heading there for a replay.

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You need to stop reading stuff on Facebook.  That and Twitter are just magnets for the base numpties in our support. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

That take is clearly based on have absolutely 0 common sense, maybe people do genuinely expect a St Pauli game every year but it’s seriously unrealistic and requires a ridiculous level of planning and cash to bring them in. Fan zone is our “something different” thing this year but I guess people always want more.

Friendlies taken on much less meaning since the group stages of the league Cup were introduced in 2016. Anybody moaning about them needs to give themselves a shake 😂😂

IMO results in friendlies are a by product of a manager trying out players, formations, and the cohesion of the squad.
Take that Scotland game last night, It baffles me that Clarke brought on a goalie who isn’t going to the euros, and made some changes that I for one didn’t expect. Hopefully he and his coaching staff learned something from the experience and can take it forward against Germany. Same for Pars in these friendly matches. 
Germany are no great shakes right now, but they have the ability to hump the living pish oot o us, so I hope for damage limitation more than anything else against them. You never know tho, we pumped Spain that time when most thought we would be destroyed by them. Here’s hoping for another freak result against a top euro team 

COYP. COYS 

9 hours ago, Wacky said:

It’s the waiting that slays you. 

You're older than most of us so how did you manage back before social media?!

Not a slagging off you mind, I also was a fan before social media, albeit a kid/young teen. Back then I just got news from the Dunfermline Press!

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

You're older than most of us so how did you manage back before social media?!

Not a slagging off you mind, I also was a fan before social media, albeit a kid/young teen. Back then I just got news from the Dunfermline Press!

Pars hotline 0898......dial carefully