Walking Down The Halbeath Road

11 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

There has to be a balance of realism and idealism when running a football club, and we do not have that balance right. 

Stevie Crawford!

He might not have been the right manager at the point but the guy can spot ability.

As much as I'm all in on the academy and what they are trying to do, I do think the serious concerns outlined by others are very fair. It's a very risky strategy and I don't now enough about how our proposals stack up against other academies to judge whether we have any better chance of succeeding. 

I just don't think our prospects are that much better if the academy wasn't a factor. Aye, we'd have a bit more money, maybe compete with Raith and Partick but not significantly more. And if promotion was achieved, would we really decide to suddenly build an academy? I don't think so. The same arguments that apply now, would apply in future and fans would demand that all money be directed towards maintaining Premiership football. Obviously, it's a nice problem to have when you are sitting in the Premiership rather than the Championship. 

I really hope the academy is a success and I commend the club for being brave and trying something different. But I do think the concerns of some fans are justified. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if there was a better balance in the investment as currently it does feel like there is isn't quite enough strength in the first team. Have a better season though and thinks could feel much better - another poor season though and the club have a big issue on their hands.

Some folk seem utterly determined to be upset and/or annoyed at anything related to the club.

Saddens me the amount of negativity that has surrounded the fanbase as a whole. Aye, there's stuff to be worried about but there's a lot to be happy about if you choose to find that particular emotion. 

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Some folk seem utterly determined to be upset and/or annoyed at anything related to the club.

Saddens me the amount of negativity that has surrounded the fanbase as a whole. Aye, there's stuff to be worried about but there's a lot to be happy about if you choose to find that particular emotion. 

Who is upset, let alone utterly determined to be that makes you think that? 

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk seem to be reading an awful lot in to one signing.

In future if everyone could greet every signing with "Brilliant Signing, not interested in what any other fan has said about him or what his career is, welcome to the Pars *insert first name here* #COYP 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏" that'd be swell. 

No discussion on anything football related, gotcha. 

Just now, HoBNob said:

In future if everyone could greet every signing with "Brilliant Signing, not interested in what any other fan has said about him or what his career is, welcome to the Pars *insert first name here* #COYP 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏" that'd be swell. 

No discussion on anything football related, gotcha. 

That's one extreme. The other is that we're going to be relegated because of a left back signing, something we've seen here, and that this signing means that the club just want to bounce between League 1 and the Championship.

Unsure why you think there should be no discussion. A very odd view to have. Who is advocating that?

10 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Who is upset, let alone utterly determined to be that makes you think that? 

Sadly I've been looking at comments on FB, dot net and Twitter. 

I know, I know. 

I dunno if it's just where I am in life, but fck having that kind of mindset where you constantly grumble about anything, even a new signing. I've seen he's already shyte, he doesn't count(?!)because he's a replacement for Edwards, some other utter guff.

He could turn out terrible, or he might click into this team very well. Nobody knows right now, so no point grumbling about the possibility of the former IMO. 

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Unsure why you think there should be no discussion. A very odd view to have. Who is advocating that?

I just don't want to fall foul of looking too deeply into a topic eh? 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

He could turn out terrible, or he might click into this team very well. Nobody knows right now, so no point grumbling about the possibility of the former IMO. 

I get where you're coming from, but if you're willing to herald a good signing like Kane, discuss why you'll think he will be a success etc there needs to be a degree of willingness to talk about signingings which perhaps aren't up to that level? 

It's not like there's any actual competitive Dunfermline fixtures for us to sink our teeth into it, everyone's hypothesising how they think things are going to turn out, and with the squad currently being weaker than the one that finished last season I can see why there isn't allot of buzz about the place. 

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Spot on mate, I mentioned this the other night, since the new German owners came in, there was a brief period of excitement followed by a complete split in the support. Some seem to think there is this big conspiracy that they're up to no good, and on the other hand, some are happy to see steady improvements to the club with things they promised like the training ground etc.

I don't know if this has always been a thing where there is so much division in the support. Some would have happily seen James McPake get his jotters during our terrible injury run last winter, however some wanted to give him the chance to keep the team up, which he thankfully did. Division like keeping or sacking a manager is fairly normal and common but there are deeper issues that split us at the moment and I feel it's been very present for the last few years.

I'm not sure if it stems from social media, things like Twitter where everyone has an opinion. The club can't post a tweet about something like the fanzone or a new sponsor without five or six people replying "Announce *enter SPFL jobber name here*, " "SIGN SOMEONE" etc. When things go bad people are quick to jump on and give it "I told you so", almost like they're desperate for things to go wrong.

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I get where you're coming from, but if you're willing to herald a good signing like Kane, discuss why you'll think he will be a success etc there needs to be a degree of willingness to talk about signingings which perhaps aren't up to that level? 

It's not like there's any actual competitive Dunfermline fixtures for us to sink our teeth into it, everyone's hypothesising how they think things are going to turn out, and with the squad currently being weaker than the one that finished last season I can see why there isn't allot of buzz about the place. 

Nah I get you. Look, Kane could be a complete dud this season through injury or otherwise. That's always possible as an example.

I dunno, maybe it's just me trying to avoid all the moon howlers and I've gone too far the other way. The Scotland Hungary game absolutely burst me emotionally too, its all probably a very personal way of avoiding what could be another painful season. 

4 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Who is stopping you from discussing anything?

Aren't we doing just that now?

Some folk think he'll be pish (he might be, he might not be) and that it means we'll be relegated. Personally I think that believing the signing of a new left back means we'll be relegated is reading an awful lot in to one signing.

Anyway, Pars have a game tonight, so could be the first chance for folks to see him and how he gets on. Imagine we'll have a few trialists as well (wasn't there some lad last season, maybe a right back, who looked decent but nothing came of it)?

Just now, Stellaboz said:

. The Scotland Hungary game absolutely burst me emotionally too, its all probably a very personal way of avoiding what could be another painful season. 

The rest of your post is absolutely fair and I get you, but on this point I was on the way back from Stuttgart on Monday when the conversation turned towards us having a pre season friendly away at East Fife on Friday. 

Reckon I could've done with a longer break, football wise it's been a tough year. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Who is stopping you from discussing anything?

Aren't we doing just that now?

Some folk think he'll be pish (he might be, he might not be) and that it means we'll be relegated. Personally I think that believing the signing of a new left back means we'll be relegated is reading an awful lot in to one signing.

Anyway, Pars have a game tonight, so could be the first chance for folks to see him and how he gets on. Imagine we'll have a few trialists as well (wasn't there some lad last season, maybe a right back, who looked decent but nothing came of it)?

There's plenty time left in the window which will have a big say in where we end up, and I don't think we'll be relegated but I can understand the concern. 

As I said earlier our squad is weaker than the one that finished last season, on top of that while it may just be a left back, which traditionally was a fairly unimportant position in the days of defensive fullbacks. In the system we play, with so much emphasis on our wing backs, what little attacking threat we had often came from Edwards. I hope McPake recognised that any player brought in was unlikely to match his output and has planned accordingly with a new shape. 

But if he hasn't, we don't have a whole lot of wiggle room, we were 3 points ahead of Inverness last year? I mean I'm hopeful of a promotion playoff spot, but I understand people looking over there shoulders. 

He's not playing tonight according to his interview on Cows, I'm not sure what the situation will be with trialists though, I seen Wotherspoon briefly at EEP yesterday when I was getting my season ticket but I don't think he played in any trial games last year when he trained. The only other rumour I can think of is Mochrie? 

On trialists though I can't actually remember the last time we signed someone based on how they done as a trialists in a game, it's a good laugh trying to find out who they are though. 

Most teams, at our level, are weaker at the end of June than they were at the end of the season.

Out of contract players are released, loanees return and it can be a bit of a fight to get new players in. New loanees also tend not to be available just yet - in general.

I think we had more players under contract for 2024/25 than any other side in the Championship at the end of lady season, so we potentially had less of a rebuild.  Whether they're all up to the task is a different argument.

Can now at least field a decent enough starting 11 at this level with a few good subs anyway:

Deniz

Comrie

Fisher

Bene

Breen

Ngwenya

Hammy

Otoo

Todd

KRH

Kane

Subs you've got Mccann, Wighton, MOH, Chalmers Sutherland, Tod.

So in real terms you're missing a back up goalie, another centre half probably and another midfielder ideally.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Has to hurt for Raith fans:

Screenshot_20240628_124157_Facebook.thumb.jpg.10d3d938b4d2883cf13ed367cd34352b.jpg

SPFL marketing guy must be a Falkirk fan, no Pars fans would ever refer to Falkirk as the derby if only to annoy Falkirk fans.

He might well be, actually 🤣IMG-20240628-WA0006.thumb.jpg.efaff6bb12c735b521a84ef44d6a9539.jpg

Edited by renton