Walking Down The Halbeath Road

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd definitely love for McPake to turn it round and sprint to me at full time in a game to shush me, but I still have my doubts and currently still want him gone.

But he can change my mind and I hope he does.

That's fair enough.

Yeah, I wouldn't be crowing too much about today - we struggled a fair bit in the first half but the second was a bit better, while if anything Falkirk showed that great spirit they had when they came back from a goal down and a man light inside the last minute or so to rescue a draw and so remain unbeaten in 90 minutes. Also can't help but think there was a missed opportunity there to get Sutherland and Tod (maybe both Tods) on early but instead we put Wighton and Wotherspoon on for 20 minutes when we were already 2-0 up and looking comfortable. 

First half was an awful game of football. Second, we were in control without being outstanding. McCann hit a great strike off the bar, after cutting in from the left wing. Comrie did well to get the ball under control and calmly slot in the rebound. Then the free kick looked a decent strike.

Overall, I’d say it was just the kind of professional performance that should be expected of a championship club, against a league 2 outfit.

KRH really needs to get back to taking men on and running at defenders, he’s wasted out there these days.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't think anyone would be mad if he turned it round and I'm almost certain most want to see that happen.

Personally I don't think he can. Desperate to be proven wrong. 

Aye, I'd expect any and every Pars fan would be delighted if McPake turned it around. I certainly hope he does, he always comes across well at the meet the manager nights etc, I'd love for him to make us a success. 

Not at today and couldn't even follow the updates or that but delighted with the win. 

There have been a couple of Pars managers I've disliked in my circa 34 years of going. Only one of those I've disliked on a personal level.

McPake doesn't come close to being a manager or guy I dislike, despite my frequent calls for his dismissal.

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There have been a couple of Pars managers I've disliked in my circa 34 years of going. Only one of those I've disliked on a personal level.

McPake doesn't come close to being a manager or guy I dislike, despite my frequent calls for his dismissal.

Jocky Scott or John Hughes?

15 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Jocky Scott or John Hughes?

Hughes. Scott was just before my time.

Hay was by far my biggest disappointment/downgrade, and Grant is second, but I never once disliked either guys. 

I found both to be pretty good guys actually, just dreadful appointments.

Edited by DA Baracus

My first manager was Leishman, so Munro was the first "baddie". Scott was similar, and both were quite unlikeable in different ways. We then had Paton, Campbell and Calderwood who were all personable in different ways and successful in different ways too. A real shame how it all ended with Calderwood (and the owners) as it really felt like we were back in the big time. Hay was such a disappointment - not just for the Iceland debacle, and of course he had his budget cut and we were linked with some bigger, more interesting names (Javier Clamente, Sam Ternant) but the football was awful. We went from a Dutch style possession based game with technical players like Brewster and Nicholson to shelling it long to Andy Tod. Mental. Leishman obviously came back to save things when Kenny was a gamble that didn't pay off. McIntyre was pretty good, I was worried Jefferies was past it but think he'd have done well without the financial shenanigans in the background, Potter didn't ever manage us, Johnston I liked, Crawford too but it was just too all encompassing for him. Grant and Hughes were never the right fit for me and it was no surprise they were both gubbins. 

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

A real shame how it all ended with Calderwood (and the owners) as it really felt like we were back in the big time. Hay was such a disappointment - not just for the Iceland debacle, and of course he had his budget cut and we were linked with some bigger, more interesting names (Javier Clamente, Sam Ternant) but the football was awful. We went from a Dutch style possession based game with technical players like Brewster and Nicholson to shelling it long to Andy Tod

Aye I mind the first game of the season, home to Dundee United, Hay dropped Brewster and played Tod up front.

Knew then we were f**ked.

Amusingly, Tod actually did score in that game! Finished 1-1 I believe. But we were such a different team in how we played, despite still having so many great players. If folk look at that squad they'll be amazed we were so shite, and that's on Hay (and the idiots who appointed him).

It was like going from colour TV to back to black and white. Genuinely shocking regression. Hay had absolutely no business being a manager for any club then, let alone a good SPL club, as we were. He never managed again after us.

I mind that crowd at Livingston when we packed the stand behind the goal and it seemed like the entire crowd were chanting "Davie Davie get to f**k!".

In a comically ironic twist, Jim Leishman, who recommended Hay, was in the stand that day. He very quickly left after the chants towards Hay. 

I recall the board (those at the game, and the director area was pretty close to the away stand then) looking over to the fans with shocked expressions, particularly Yorkston, who looked massively bemused, as if he hadn't even considered the possibility of fans voicing such an opinion.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

. Also can't help but think there was a missed opportunity there to get Sutherland and Tod (maybe both Tods) on early but instead we put Wighton and Wotherspoon on for 20 minutes when we were already 2-0 up and looking comfortable. 

There was someone who quite angrily (as much as anyone at 2-0 is angry ) shouted get the youths on when we made that sub.

I think it was right to get the senior guys on, neither have had great starts to the session and I think it was important for them to try and find some confidence along with keeping the side as strong as it could be to keep the side at max strength as we played with a bit more freedom.

It's right to not get excited about today, as said it's what you would expect given the gap in the leagues, but matching expectations is something we haven't done for a while.

The proof will come on Friday night but I think that todays performance will really help get us back in our groove 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Hughes. Scott was just before my aswell.

Hay was by far my biggest disappointment/downgrade, and Grant is second, but I never once disliked either guys. 

I found both to be pretty good guys actually, just dreadful appointments.

Aye, Scott was before my time before. 

My first manager was Dick Campbell, and while we've had bad managers, the only one I disliked by the end was also Hughes. Quite a few rumours going around that he was a horrible bugger. 

Edited by HoBNob

The game showed how Lewis is a target man striker, I have been saying it for years, he is best coming in from the wing.
He also he did put in a great header just before being substituted, just like in the Cove preseason game, he can do something with the ball in the air just not when it’s directed to him when stationary.

Edited by Clangers

29 minutes ago, Nat Weederburn said:

Much better in the 2nd half, well done Lewis McCann who ran them ragged and Sam Young who cruised the majority of the game. Hoping Ngwenya is back for Friday as we could really do with Otoo being back in midfield. 

I was quite happy with Otoo at LB and chalmers did fine at DM. TBH I wonder if playing both Hamilton and Otoo as the sitting 2 is that good, I know a lot of people are happy with it but I think it is a big part of why we've been poor going forward, Hamilton is very much at his best out of possession and while Otoo is good at breaking lines with how our season has gone teams haven't felt a need to press him and he's not got the passing range to hurt teams when they sit off. 

There's a strong part of me who'd go with the same system/selection again next week other than fogarty coming back in.

15 minutes ago, Clangers said:

The game showed how Lewis is a target man striker, I have been saying it for years, he is best coming in from the wing.
He also  he did put in a great header just before being submitted just like in the Cove preseason game he can do something with the ball in the air just not when it’s directed to him when stationary.

I honestly question if there's something wrong with McCann's eyesight, his timing is so much worse when facing a ball coming straight on to him that i wonder what's his depth perception is like.

Edited by parsforlife

I might be getting way ahead of myself here, but just imagine beating the wee team on Friday and we kick on.

They'll have a big support with a new manager in charge, everyone's focus will be in that. Hoping that our most experienced players take this game by the scruff of the neck. 

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I think it was right to get the senior guys on, neither have had great starts to the session and I think it was important for them to try and find some confidence along with keeping the side as strong as it could be to keep the side at max strength as we played with a bit more freedom.

I can see the logic in that but how much confidence is Wighton or Wotherspoon going to gain in a game like that? And conversely, what would happen if they did come and and didn't get a sniff against two Leagues Two cloggers? I think there's also something to be said for "yes, you should be first sub in a game but you're not doing enough whereas Sutherland and Tod are - you need to up your game"

57 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I can see the logic in that but how much confidence is Wighton or Wotherspoon going to gain in a game like that? And conversely, what would happen if they did come and and didn't get a sniff against two Leagues Two cloggers? I think there's also something to be said for "yes, you should be first sub in a game but you're not doing enough whereas Sutherland and Tod are - you need to up your game"

You're making a gamble with any sub, I think with how the game finished wighton and wotherspoon will feel more comfortable in themselves than they would of yesterday morning.

Tod certainly isn't doing enough to justify being anything more than a late sub.  Sutherland maybe has an argument but when he has been given longer in games he hasn't really imposed himself.