Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finally finished reading Roddy Doyle's Oh Play That Thing. Some sparkling characterisation as you would expect from Doyle although the narrative and storyline are wayward in parts. 7/10

Went to Waterstones the other night. Got one of Chris Brookmyre's books (Think it was "All Fun and Games....", forget :ph34r: ) and the Gary Imlach book about his dad.

Looking forward to reading both. :)

Guest xbasslichtie

Spent the last few days re-reading Im Not The Only One by George Galloway.

Fascinating and inspiring read even if youve read it before, and it gives you passion and anger!

9/10

Eventually finished 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell', a HUUUGE book by Susanna Clarke. It's an exellent read, though. It's set in the early 19th century and the writing is pretty much a pastiche of the style then. It contains many and extensive footnotes most alluding to magical reference books and bographies which exist only in the author's imagination.

The actual plot is fairly convoluted, but basically it's about two 'practical magicians who aim to bring back practical magic to England. It involves fairies and dark moors and huge mansions, but it's not one of these geeky fantasy novels, although, it is set in an 'alternative' history eg Wellington wins a few battles thanks to Strange's magic.

It really is a unique kind of book. Don't be put off by the fairies and magic and stuff - it's not some geeky Warhammer shit. It's all the more amazing when you consider it's Sussana Clarke's debut novel.

clicke her for more info and a few tasters

Edited by halfaperson

Panic - Jeff Abbott

Its about an unsuspecting young documentary film maker whose life is turned upside down when he realizes that his parents have been working as spies throughout their lives. One morning his mother phones him and asks him to come to her urgently, but when he arrives at her home she has just been murdered. She is suspected by other spies of having compiled a list containing the names of clients, but it cannot be found anywhere. This is why a group of her former "colleagues" thinks she must somehow have passed on the list to her son.

Id give it 8/10. I quite enjoyed it actually.

Eventually finished 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell', a HUUUGE book by Susanna Clarke.

I bought that and started reading it on the way to Florida.

But I only got a few hundred pages in and then forgot about it till now.

Ill read it next time Im heading offshore.

• 2 weeks later...

Night and fog, a survivir's story - Arne Brun Lie

6.5/10

Norwegian resistance fighter captured by the nazis during ww2 and placed in various concentration camps in horrible conditions for a year until being released, good read

I'm reading On Photography by Susan Sontag. Quite a "heavy" book on the pyschology and philosophy of photography and the photograph. It's amazingly eye-opening. Really enjoying it.

the last fictional book I read was Requiem for a dream...

Reading just now "Starter for 10" about a boy going to college/university and getting in the University Challenge team so that he can get closer to a girl. Half way through it, and it is a laugh out loud book.

Have to say I absolutely hated it - thought it was smug and unfunny.

If you like the Rebus books it is worth trying Stephen Booth or Peter Robinson - excellent British crime writers and the characters of the main cops really develop over the series.

Stephen Booth has written 6 now - set in Peak District.

Peter Robinson has done 15 or 16 - his are mainly in Yorkshire.

Last book i read was Cross by James Patterson. Its the latest in his Alex Cross series of books, excellent read 10/10. It is where he "finds" the killer of his wife from years ago. I dont know about anyone else, but every time i read one of his books i read it like Morgan Freeman is narrating :lol:

Last book i read was Cross by James Patterson. Its the latest in his Alex Cross series of books, excellent read 10/10. It is where he "finds" the killer of his wife from years ago. I dont know about anyone else, but every time i read one of his books i read it like Morgan Freeman is narrating :lol:

I only started reading Patterson's Cross novels last summer, and although I've seen the two films, I imagine the leading character as more Denzel Washington than Morgan Freeman.

On the subject of the Cross novels, I loved 'Roses are Red' but the follow up, 'Violets are Blue' was horrible.

"Jack and Jill" is arguably my favourite of the series.

Currently reading 'Cell' by Stephen King, and it's made a good, fast start.

Just found the book I had to do for Higher English - The Inheritors by William Golding. I had a flick through it and reminded me of how unbelievably hard it was to read. If any of you want a challenge try and read it - it's like a different language. If you don't give up after the first chapter you deserve a medal. Although it's very clever once you realise what is going on :smartass:smartass

I only started reading Patterson's Cross novels last summer, and although I've seen the two films, I imagine the leading character as more Denzel Washington than Morgan Freeman.

On the subject of the Cross novels, I loved 'Roses are Red' but the follow up, 'Violets are Blue' was horrible.

"Jack and Jill" is arguably my favourite of the series.

Currently reading 'Cell' by Stephen King, and it's made a good, fast start.

Totally agree with that comment. The knob end that cast Morgan freeman as Alex Cross should be butchered by Gary Sonejy.

I've read most of his books and they're brilliant!

If you like Pattersons books, you should also try David Baldacci's books.

As for returning to the actual thread. I've just finished "The world according to clarkson volume 2"

Totally agree with that comment. The knob end that cast Morgan freeman as Alex Cross should be butchered by Gary Sonejy.

I've read most of his books and they're brilliant!

If you like Pattersons books, you should also try David Baldacci's books.

As for returning to the actual thread. I've just finished "The world according to clarkson volume 2"

There are a few of his books in my bookshelf to be read :lol: IM trying to catch up with ones my wife likes. She tends to go home and read a lot so i fall way behind in the books :ph34r:

edited to add:- The reason i keep thinking of morgan freeman is just because he was in the films. Im sure ill do the same with Anthony Hopkins with the new Hannibal book that is another in my bookshelf.

Edited by bluetooner

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading "My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes" by Gary Imlach. I just rememeber him as the wee guy with the daft middle shed that used to do the reporting on the American Football and Tour de France on Ch4. Cant imagine him as half-Scottish at all. Good read so far, getting quite into it.