Last Book You Read....

H_B

Currently reading 'Nature Girl' by Carl Hiaasen.

Great crime/black humour tale! In fact, I would say it's like a certain author from Paisley except set in Florida. ;)

I read a book of Carl Hiaasen when I was about 16 - about a black girl who wins the lottery and is pursued by a pair of hapless white-supremists, it was quite enjoyable. Cant remember the title.

Stopped reading for ages due to work (full-time) and uni commitments (part-time MSc), but bought Jimmy the Hand by Raymond Feist on 21st - read it by the next day. So bought another couple (Talon of the Silver Hawk & King of Foxes) and read them both by the weekend - finished King of Foxes and switched off the lights at 2.45am on Monday morning and had to get up for work at 6 :( many a black coffee quaffed at work that day.

Forkit, I'd forgotten just how good reading was (even no-brain books like those mentioned).

At this moment I'm currently 'reading' Information System Development - Methods in Action :(

I read a book of Carl Hiaasen when I was about 16 - about a black girl who wins the lottery and is pursued by a pair of hapless white-supremists, it was quite enjoyable. Cant remember the title.

:lol:

I'll be sure to let the Times Literary Supplement have first dibs at this thoughtful review. :P It's called 'Lucky Dip' incidentally. ;)

Uberman, thanks for the recommendations :)

And? Any good? What's it about?

You can't just come on here with your fancy ways and tease us like that. :D

It's about the Miners strike. There ar ethree threads to the story: the viewpoint of an NUM official; the activities of a Tory-supporting busiiness leader who is working to break the strike; and the actions of the intelligence services to undermine the strike.

It's written in a very hard-boiled style, pared down with no slack to the writing. This can make it quite hard to follow but it's very engrossing so far. I had already read Peace's 'The Damned United' about Brian Clough, in terms of the disciplined writing style and the intertwined story-telling it's similar.

I've just bought the new Jack Reacher book.

Chewing gum for the brain, but entertaining nonetheless.

I've exhausted the Jack Reacher books and have now picked up on Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar books.

Also very entertaining, and a bit more humerous than Lee Child, from what I've read so far

I was thinking, would anyone be interested in a 'P&B Book Club' style thread? We could choose a book, and then discuss it for a week and then the next book club member could choose the next book and start again? Thoughts?

Currently reading Marian Keyes - Anybody Out There? It's superb so far, and took a really shocking twist last night - I was crying :(

Have you read Last chance saloon? I've recently listed that and about 40 other books on ebay for much cheapness!

Have you read Last chance saloon? I've recently listed that and about 40 other books on ebay for much cheapness!

Yeah, I've read all of her books, this is the latest one.

Edit to add: What's your ebay username so I can have a look at the other ones you're selling? ;)

Edited by Debbie

You got a link to his website or anything?

He died a few years ago, but there's still a site where you can check out his (excellent) back catalogue.

Laymon

One Rainy Night is his best book IMO, but all the ones I've read are terrific if you like the horror genre. None of them have the deep characterization of a Koontz or a King, but for sheer thrills, Laymon's difficult to beat.

Richard Laymon - One Night in Lonesome October.

Loads of sex, violence, horror, cannibals and everything else that makes Laymon such a good read. :D

I've read a few of his, Flesh was quite good and I recently finished one rainy night which was also not bad, I'll keep a wee eye out for that one you've read, sounds not bad

He died a few years ago, but there's still a site where you can check out his (excellent) back catalogue.

Laymon

One Rainy Night is his best book IMO, but all the ones I've read are terrific if you like the horror genre. None of them have the deep characterization of a Koontz or a King, but for sheer thrills, Laymon's difficult to beat.

Have you read any Shaun Hutson? He does some not bad horror books, he also wrote the Terminator.