Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Kid by Kevin Lewis

Kind of a Dave Pelzer book, a boy that was abused at home, not fed properly and slipped through the social services net. I'm not sure I believed all of his story but easy enough to read and quite interesting how his life changed now he's married and a dad himself. He is now a novelist.

7/10

My Sisters Keeper- Jodi Picoult

Excellent book with unseen twist at end. Really enjoyed reading it.

9/10

That was the first one of hers I read.

I think I've read all of hers (in paperback anyway) and got Tenth Circle for £3.73 in Adsa to read next. :D

The Last Party, by John Harris.

Cracking book on the rise and fall of Britpop, which doesn't go far enough into the dirt that surrounded some of the bands involved, but digs quite deep all the same.

Justine Frischmann seems to have a lot to say for herself - wouldn't mind reading the bits of her interview left out for "legal reasons".

The Damage Done - Warren Fellows

A great read. About the times of a man who smuggled cocaine into the Middle East and was caught. Describes vividly his times in prison and the treatment there. Horrible stuff, but a fascinating read none-the-less. Not once does he claim he was right or had mittigating circumstances. He fully admits he was right to be imprisoned, and his lack of wanting sympathy is refreshing. A recommended read. B)

The Damage Done - Warren Fellows

A great read. About the times of a man who smuggled cocaine into the Middle East and was caught. Describes vividly his times in prison and the treatment there. Horrible stuff, but a fascinating read none-the-less. Not once does he claim he was right or had mittigating circumstances. He fully admits he was right to be imprisoned, and his lack of wanting sympathy is refreshing. A recommended read. B)

Feckin hell he's done a bit of bird, I read his other book 10,000 days about spending 12 years or so in the Bangkok Hilton for heroin smuggling, he can't be much of a smuggler if he keeps getting caught

Ubermans reccomendations

marching powder - rusty young, english geezer who done 5ish years in Bolivia's toughest nick

welcome to hell - colin martin, wrongly imprisoned for a murder he didn't commit and banged up in the bangkok hilton

journey to hell donald macneil, scots boy imprisoned after being caught with a shitlaod of cocaine in venuezela, the prison was so bad that gaurds dont go into certain parts an prisoners are armed to the teeth with machine guns and grenades

forget you had a daughter - sandra gregory, again bangkok hilton

Quote Uberman

Feckin hell he's done a bit of bird, I read his other book 10,000 days about spending 12 years or so in the Bangkok Hilton for heroin smuggling, he can't be much of a smuggler if he keeps getting caught

Ubermans reccomendations

marching powder - rusty young, english geezer who done 5ish years in Bolivia's toughest nick

welcome to hell - colin martin, wrongly imprisoned for a murder he didn't commit and banged up in the bangkok hilton

journey to hell donald macneil, scots boy imprisoned after being caught with a shitlaod of cocaine in venuezela, the prison was so bad that gaurds dont go into certain parts an prisoners are armed to the teeth with machine guns and grenades

forget you had a daughter - sandra gregory, again bangkok hilton

It was a really good read. I may look at getting his other one. Cheers.

Cheers, Uberman, I may look into reading the other ones you've recommended. The Damage Done was a really good read, and the ones you've mentioned there look decent too.

:)

Edited by ShakehandsTom - DFC

I've read a few more banged up abroad books but as were moving hoose they are all in boxes at the mo and I can't remember offhand what they are but when I get the hoose sorted I'll let you know, marching powder was my favourite, Bolivia has the weirdest prison system, you have to pay rent on your cell :o so you have to work or get handoouts from families

Quote Uberman

I've read a few more banged up abroad books but as were moving hoose they are all in boxes at the mo and I can't remember offhand what they are but when I get the hoose sorted I'll let you know, marching powder was my favourite, Bolivia has the weirdest prison system, you have to pay rent on your cell so you have to work or get handoouts from families

Cheers man! B)

The Bangok prison system is wahoo as well! For a meal, you have to bribe the guards to give you either dirty rice in dirty water, lettuce or a rat! :o:ph34r:

Pfft! Brutal indeed. :ph34r: Fascinating though. :D

Ian McEwan ~ On Chesil Beach

Short novel sent in the early 60's about a couple of newlywed 'innocents' on their wedding night. I'm not exactly selling it well with that description but Mcewan is such a good writer that it's a bloody marvellous read. One criticism is that the ending seems a bit rushed.

Not as good as his novel 'Atonement' but then very few books in recent years have been.

Nigel Slater - Toast

An autiobiography of his childhood through memories of food. Some lines are laugh out loud funny.

:lol: Recommended!!!

I'll second that, it's a really enjoyable read. His cookery books are the ones I reach for most as well.