Last Book You Read....

H_B

I started reading this at half seven tonight and am 125 pages in (unheard of for me!) it's fantastic so far.

Are there any other books about the Walsh sisters or is this the follow on from Rachels Holiday, which was also a good book.

Finished Notting Hell by Rachel Johnston on Saturday. Not sure what I thought of it tbh.

Watermelon is about another one of the sisters, I think. :unsure:

Dying Light by Stuart MacBride.

A Scottish police novel which shares similarities with Rebus. However the tone is decidedly more humorous. There're a few very funny lines and situations despite the grim subject matter (murdered prostitutes, children burnt to death).

Very good, but not as rivetting as Cold Granite, the author's debut.

Watermelon is about another one of the sisters, I think. :unsure:

I used to have Watermelons. Looking at the synopsis I don't think I read it. It must have been cleared to charity shop or the like when on one of my inumerable moves.

It's about Claire the oldest sister.

Angels is also part of the Walsh sisters series.

Edited by Rowan

My recent reading has included the following:

The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks - Fascinatingly horrific and macabre. One twisted imagination made that up 7/10

The Adulterers Club by some bird - Trashy chick lit. pretty poor but brainless for the train 4/10

The Emperors Bones by Andrew Williams - Epic drama set in 1920s China. Pretty cliched with a very unsympathetic (English) heroine. 5/10

The Dark Part of Me by Belinda Burns - Coming of age type story set in Brisbane featuring sex, drugs, lesbianism, incest, death. I liked it 7/10

Nick Hornby - Long Way Down. No idea why I bought it in the first place. Maybe because it was 3 quid. 5/10.

David Peace - The Damned United. Brian Clough's 44 day tenure at Elland Road from Clough's point of view. Brilliant. 9/10.

Andrew O'Hagan - Be Near Me. English, Oxford-educated Catholic priest is placed in an Ayrshire parish on the west coast of Scotland. He finds that he has to deal with sectarianism, xenophobia and his own loneliness. Great read. 8/10.

My recent reading has included the following:

The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks - Fascinatingly horrific and macabre. One twisted imagination made that up 7/10

The Adulterers Club by some bird - Trashy chick lit. pretty poor but brainless for the train 4/10

The Emperors Bones by Andrew Williams - Epic drama set in 1920s China. Pretty cliched with a very unsympathetic (English) heroine. 5/10

The Dark Part of Me by Belinda Burns - Coming of age type story set in Brisbane featuring sex, drugs, lesbianism, incest, death. I liked it 7/10

I read the Wasp factory and then Lord of the Flies in quick succession and they were both thought up by a warped mind

No time to read books to busy working to pay taxes to fund the sponging students so they can buy drink/drugs/play golf/go on holidays and buy fancy sunglasses

Can't be that busy or you wouldn't be posting bollocks on here then eh??

When you work more than four hours at a time you are legaly bound to get a break...i get two breaks a day during my 12hrs at work six days a week.

2 breaks a day in a 12 hour shift, your boss owns you!

At uni(s) at least twice a week making hygene deliveries

Yet you find the time to upgrade your secretary to a PA?

Amazing :D

Back on topic:

The Moviegoer's Companion 8/10

It's one of these fact filled guides full of trivia, info, quotes and top 10s.

Sample: 147 - The number of small firecrackers attached to James Caan's body to simulate his death in The Godfather.

I may start boring everyone to death with trivia questions ;)

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

8/10

Story of a young girl and her father who find an abandoned baby in the snow near her house. The girl's mother and baby sister were killed in a car accident some years before. Good narrative through eyes of the girl and her coming to terms with her and her fathers grief.