Last Book You Read....

H_B

Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve

8/10

Story of a woman who flees with her baby after suffering violent abuse. She takes up a new identity in a new town but her husband is hot on her tail. The book is written from a journalists point of view and her notes in researching the case, so each chapter is from a different person's perspective.

Guest johnjag

A short history of tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewyca.

Won't change anyone's life but a right good yarn with dollops of dark humour. 8/10.

"Night Song Of The Last Tram" by Robert Douglas, stories of growing up in Glasgow in the 1940's with an abusive father, really well told (and funnier than it sounds), away out to buy the follow up, "Somewhere To Lay My Head".

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Possibly the greatest novel in the history of the English language, certainly the great American novel. 1 billion out of ten, and the final paragraph contains the most beautiful paragraph I will ever read.

'Born to be riled' by Jeremy Clarkson.

I know, I know, he's a knob, but if like me you're into cars a bit and you enjoy the odd sarcastic reference to middle England then it's pretty decent. It's a collection of his Sunday Times columns from the late 90's and it's a good holiday read, which in the end is exactly why i bought it. ;)

Guest Scofield

Gareth Southgate and Andy Woodman's autobiography. Both friends who grew up together at Crystal palace, stayed as good friends and wrote a book showing their respective careers. Woodman was at Oxford at the end of the book and Southgate was still playing with Boro. Good read.

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Possibly the greatest novel in the history of the English language, certainly the great American novel. 1 billion out of ten, and the final paragraph contains the most beautiful paragraph I will ever read.

Absolutely. I've read that book about thirty times and it still gets better and better. I can actually quite the final paragraph. The last few pages when Nick Carraway lies out on the beach in front of Gatsby's mansion is the best piece of writing I have ever read.

The last book I read was "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Perhaps the most depressing novel I've ever read, but like Gatsby, there's parts of it that read this pure poetry. Absolutely different class, and the biblical imagery at the end is a masterstroke.

9/10.

Absolutely. I've read that book about thirty times and it still gets better and better. I can actually quite the final paragraph. The last few pages when Nick Carraway lies out on the beach in front of Gatsby's mansion is the best piece of writing I have ever read.

The last book I read was "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Perhaps the most depressing novel I've ever read, but like Gatsby, there's parts of it that read this pure poetry. Absolutely different class, and the biblical imagery at the end is a masterstroke.

9/10.

Spot on. :)

Incidentally, don't go to Cannery Row, even (or perhaps especially) if you like Steinbeck.

Spot on. :)

Incidentally, don't go to Cannery Row, even (or perhaps especially) if you like Steinbeck.

I've actually started reading USA by John Dos Passos. I don't think he's a very well-known author, but he wrote Manhattan Transfer, which is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Its kind of like Joyce's Ulysses, except it takes place in NYC over a number of years. USA is absolutely mammoth (1000+ pages), but what I've read so far, it seems pretty good too.

After that, its Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon. The joys!

Regarding Steinbeck, the next one from him will probably be Of Mice and Men. That's probably his most famous work, so its probably the best place to go. Only problem is, I've seen the film and know how it ends :angry:

Regarding Steinbeck, the next one from him will probably be Of Mice and Men. That's probably his most famous work, so its probably the best place to go. Only problem is, I've seen the film and know how it ends :angry:

Try "East of Eden", if you haven't read it already. I've read quite a bit of Steinbeck, and consider this truly brilliant.

Not too sure if plays count, but I've recently read Macbeth by William Shakespeare for an essay I've got to get done. A fascinating exercise in evil. His wife's a cad.

I also purchased The Complete Dramatic Works of Samuel Beckett, and some of the stuff in there is absolutely incredible. I've been thumbing through it and both "Play" and "Krapp's Last Tape" caught my attention, particularly the latter. It actually encouraged me to look through my old diaries, and, just like Krapp, I can't believe the "stupid b*****d I took myself for" a couple of years ago.

Not too sure if plays count, but I've recently read Macbeth by William Shakespeare for an essay I've got to get done. A fascinating exercise in evil. His wife's a cad.

I also purchased The Complete Dramatic Works of Samuel Beckett, and some of the stuff in there is absolutely incredible. I've been thumbing through it and both "Play" and "Krapp's Last Tape" caught my attention, particularly the latter. It actually encouraged me to look through my old diaries, and, just like Krapp, I can't believe the "stupid b*****d I took myself for" a couple of years ago.

Utterly tremendous.

Rather childishly (Moi?) I have finished reading The Laws of the Playground. It's a kind of dictionary full of stuff that folk got up to at school.

Example:

"je suis fatigué

A friend of mine was habitually ridiculed by his French teacher of all people over his weight problem and alternative life style. The classroom humiliation took the form of him being asked to say he was tired in French to which he would have to reply "je suis fatty-gay". Such role reversal of cruelty was unsettling to our young minds."

There's a website but it doesn't work as well as the book - www.playgroundlaw.com

Utterly tremendous.

Absolutely!

I wrote an essay for my Modernism course about six weeks ago on Play and Endgame and got an A for it.

Play is probably one of the scariest things I've ever read (there's a performance that you can see of it on YouTube with Alan Rickman as M). You could just imagine that the whole play could just go on and on and on without ceasing.