Last Book You Read....

H_B

Tim O'Brien - If I Die in a Combat Zone

Tim O'Brien's book was a nice easy read for the train. Young guy's experience of the Vietnam war. Doesn't glorify it at all.

If you liked that, then "The things they carried with them" by the same author may be up your street.

Chris Salewicz biography of Joe Strummer, "Redemption Song", is engrossing and sent me back to listen to my Clash collection with fresh ears.

Guest Tatty Boabie
Excellent. If you need any further recommendations, don't hesitate to ask.

Would there be any other Mister Men books that you would recommend?

I would like to read them to my nephew Ollie when he's a wee bit older.

Just finished One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. Terrible book, I honestly can't understand the reviews it has been getting. Characterisation is weak, the plot jumps around a lot, I suppose to try and keep you interested and cover the many characters but it only serves to stall any sort of momentum she builds up. Poorly written and at times I wonder if she had an editor at all, and to top it all off it comes to an unsatisfying conclusion. You have to suspend reality numerous times to be able to continue reading and to stop you tearing the book to shreds in frustration, only read it as I had got half way through on the plane from Glasgow to Vancouver and thought given the good reviews it was going to pick up at some point. If you are about to start it or are even in the middle of it and pursuing it for this reason, don't bother, utter shite.

Now for The Damned United by David Peace, which better be a damn sight better.

Guest Tatty Boabie
Just finished One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. Terrible book, I honestly can't understand the reviews it has been getting. Characterisation is weak, the plot jumps around a lot, I suppose to try and keep you interested and cover the many characters but it only serves to stall any sort of momentum she builds up. Poorly written and at times I wonder if she had an editor at all, and to top it all off it comes to an unsatisfying conclusion. You have to suspend reality numerous times to be able to continue reading and to stop you tearing the book to shreds in frustration, only read it as I had got half way through on the plane from Glasgow to Vancouver and thought given the good reviews it was going to pick up at some point. If you are about to start it or are even in the middle of it and pursuing it for this reason, don't bother, utter shite.

Now for The Damned United by David Peace, which better be a damn sight better.

You see, I kind of get lost with this book reviewing shit, right about the time when someone says that the Characterisation is week, and the plot jumps around a bit.

:unsure:

What does that mean?

And how do you know?

You should read Mr Bump, by that that Hargreaves fella.

His characterisation is brilliant, and the plot is easily followed.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Parris - Inka Kola - A traveller's tale of Peru

7/10

Brought back a few memories of my trips to Peru, although this book is a bit dated so a lot of the stuff he described/done isn't there anymore. enjoyable nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

The Devils Guide to Hollywood by Joe Ezterhas

A very funny book not to be taken too seriously. Ezterhas' ego threatens to run wild at some points but can you blame him? He is the man who wrote Basic Instinct and Showgirls so deserves our utmost respect. His slating of some star actors and directors is really quite funny and pulls little punches. I learned that "Bruce Willis is an asshole" and "Tim Robbins is full of himself" - probably things i knew already but still an enjoyable tirade.

Chart Throb - Ben Elton

Standard Ben Elton - ie excellent satire and very entertaining. This time X Factor type tv shows are the subject.

8/10

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

Dawkins takes the reader on a journey backwards in time from the present, meeting all of the human race's ancestors along the way, right to the birth of life itself. Pitched at just the right level to be understandable by non-technical people, but not patronisingly simple. A fascinating must-read for anyone with an interest in natural history.

9/10