Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished this last week. Really struggled to get through it and thought about binning it a few times. Was probably well written and definitely well researched but the author could have made it more interesting if he had come up with at least one conspiracy theory that couldn't so easily be dismissed. Only cost me £1 from a charity shop though so no real loss.

512lW9jV3oL._SL500_OU02_SS160_.jpg

Then read this. Yet another 'Scandinavian' crime novel, nothing great but got me through a few bus journeys to work.

063076-fc222.jpg

Started reading this today. Enjoying so far.

9781780575841_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Mario Puzo's 'The Sicilian'

The novel is a follow up to 'The Godfather', based on the latter part of Michael Corleone's time spent in Sicily after killing Sollozzo and the police chief in the preceding book. Michael is tasked by his father with trying to bring an outlaw from the island home to America. The book switches between present day (1950) and the story of the earlier life of the bandit, Salvatore Giuiliano, who is based on a real person of the same name ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Giuliano ).

It's an absolutely cracking read and one of my favourite ever books, although I must admit I am a massive fan of Puzo and The Godfather (book/films). It fills in a bit of a gap in the original story which I felt was maybe rushed over a little. It also gives a brilliant insight into the history of Sicily itself, with its crippling poverty and the struggle of its citizens to deal with the oppression of the mafia and from Rome itself.

10/10 from me

Mario Puzo's 'The Sicilian'

The novel is a follow up to 'The Godfather', based on the latter part of Michael Corleone's time spent in Sicily after killing Sollozzo and the police chief in the preceding book. Michael is tasked by his father with trying to bring an outlaw from the island home to America. The book switches between present day (1950) and the story of the earlier life of the bandit, Salvatore Giuiliano, who is based on a real person of the same name ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Giuliano ).

It's an absolutely cracking read and one of my favourite ever books, although I must admit I am a massive fan of Puzo and The Godfather (book/films). It fills in a bit of a gap in the original story which I felt was maybe rushed over a little. It also gives a brilliant insight into the history of Sicily itself, with its crippling poverty and the struggle of its citizens to deal with the oppression of the mafia and from Rome itself.

10/10 from me

If you like the Puzo style, try "Gangster" by Lorenzo Carcaterra. Excellent story in the same vein as The Godfather, and once you've read that, you'll enjoy his other stuff, especially "Sleepers". "Paradise City" is also very readable.

Just finished reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Fucking loved it. Not been that gripped by a book for a long time! Anyone else enjoy it?

Downloaded it after reading about it on here; about halfway through. Hadn't read a Stephen King book in years but enjoying this. Bit slow at times but interesting theme.

When you buy a Kindle book you overlook how long/short they might be when compared to a paper version. This is a long book!

The Stand and It were my two other favourite King books; couple of characters from It in 11.22.63.

As a bit of a Richard Ford fanboy I'm maybe not the most objective, but I thought it was great.

In contrast to the Frank Bascombe trilogy, really 'big' things happen in it and plot is far more to the fore. Indeed the very first couple of sentences in the novel are; "First I'll tell about the robbery our parents committed. Then about the murders, which happened later". When this was quoted in every review I read prior to the novels release, I was a wee bit sceptical, as it really didn't sound like the Ford I know and love. However it's written in such an elegantly understated and meditative fashion, that It wasn't as uncharacteristic as I initially feared. His prose did seem a bit more spare than in the past, but I thought it was really effective.

I'd give it a bash.

Have finally gotten round to reading this - a big thank you for the encouragement to try it. An excellent book, the writing is beautiful and the section of the book from when they rob the bank to when they get arrested is one of the best pieces of writing I've read. Edited by monkfish

Alex Ferguson - My Autobiography

I actually really enjoyed it. Despite a few factual inaccuracies (Keane being with Man Utd for 12 years instead of the stated 11) it was an interesting read.

I finished it in a couple of days which is unusual for me for a book (especially when Im at work). His stories about the Class of 92 were a particular highlight for me.

Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly

Started reading this a month or so ago but just got round to finishing it due to looking to move house and getting everything prepared etc.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it as I do with almost every Philip K Dick book. He just seems to manage to build a world with characters you genuinely care about.

Alot of Sci Fi can be to 'Epic' for my liking but his books seem to concentrate more on people (or a small group of people) in a sci fi setting.

I havent seen the movie either so didnt know what to expect. I prefer reading the books first.

I've now moved on to Fahrenheit 451. Seems promising so far (just about 10% in)

Finished Fahrenheith 451- Ray Bradbury

I thought it as a very good read. The themes of censorship and dumbing down/control are still as relevant today as when it was written. Shorter than I expected but I loved the ending.

Has anyone read john dies at the end? Probably the craziest thing ive ever read. Cant wait to see the film

A brilliant read. Ridiculously unhinged. As is the sequel "This Book Is Full Of Spiders".

I don't think the film had a theatrical release over here. At most, there were maybe showings at festivals. Which was a shame. You can get it on Region 1 blu-ray through Amazon. I don't know when it'll be released over here.

ETA. I've just had a look on Amazon. It's being released on 17th Feb. That's brightened up a Monday morning.

Edited by Dubskelper

A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Set in London in the future (2540) in a world where humans no longer reproduce. Everythign is done in a lab and humans are 'bred' into certain roles (alphas, Betas etc. ) with the embryos etc. being conditioned with xrays etc. Even emotional responses are conditioned from birth. Happiness over free will. Follows the story of an Alpha who doesnt fit in and feels inadequate in his social circles. WIthout spoiling it he goes on holiday and ends up finding a Savage (born in the conventional way) who heads back to civilisation and trys to intigrate.

An excellent read. Im really enjoying my dystopian sci fi books at the moment (although some might argue this is actually utopian I guess).

The Minority Report - Philip K Dick

Another one of Dicks short stories that was the basis of a Hollywood movie. I never did get round to watching the movie but I must say that I really enjoyed the book.

Basically its about a company that uses precogs to predict crime before it happens and punishes the 'offenders' before they get the chance.

Thinking about moving on to Catch 22 next but Im not sure...

Nightshift has its perks :)

Who On Earth Is Tom Baker? - Tom Baker

Who_On_Earth_Is_Tom_Baker.jpg

Catholic guilt, boozing and shagging, and some of the funniest anecdotes I've read in a while. A really good read which made me laugh out loud often.*

For Dr Who fans there isn't a lot of Doctor Who related stuff in it, but worth reading all the same.

*Not suitable for reading on trains or at funerals.

A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Set in London in the future (2540) in a world where humans no longer reproduce. Everythign is done in a lab and humans are 'bred' into certain roles (alphas, Betas etc. ) with the embryos etc. being conditioned with xrays etc. Even emotional responses are conditioned from birth. Happiness over free will. Follows the story of an Alpha who doesnt fit in and feels inadequate in his social circles. WIthout spoiling it he goes on holiday and ends up finding a Savage (born in the conventional way) who heads back to civilisation and trys to intigrate.

An excellent read. Im really enjoying my dystopian sci fi books at the moment (although some might argue this is actually utopian I guess).

The Minority Report - Philip K Dick

Another one of Dicks short stories that was the basis of a Hollywood movie. I never did get round to watching the movie but I must say that I really enjoyed the book.

Basically its about a company that uses precogs to predict crime before it happens and punishes the 'offenders' before they get the chance.

Thinking about moving on to Catch 22 next but Im not sure...

Nightshift has its perks :)

As best as I can remember,I first read Brave New World over 44 years ago. It says a great deal about a book that deals with such a subject matter that it can be written in the 30's and yet appreciated by many subsequent generations.

Having reread that it seems a bit convoluted but I know what I trying to say. :)

As best as I can remember,I first read Brave New World over 44 years ago. It says a great deal about a book that deals with such a subject matter that it can be written in the 30's and yet appreciated by many subsequent generations.

Having reread that it seems a bit convoluted but I know what I trying to say. :)

Not at all, I totally agree with you. It was very good indeed and considering how long ago it was (and especially the subject matter) its amazing that it still has so much impact on people.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long finished A History of Scotland by Neil Oliver, as comprehensive a book on the entire history of Scotland as there could be without writing War and Peace. Decent read for a general overview.

About halfway through Alex Ferguson's autobiography and meh would be my reaction. Undoubtedly the man's a managerial genius and gets some thoughts across well, but it feels far too rushed, lacking sufficient depth in places where some context and depth would make it a good read. The problem of rushing a book like that to print in under 6 months I suppose but it could be better.

Next up is Managing My Life by Fergie, which will no doubt appeal far more given it covers his spell in Scotland.