Last Book You Read....

H_B

Another Bob Skinner book by Quintin Jardine but I need to take a break from them. 

The idea of a 50-odd year old Chief Constable who solves all the crimes himself, and is always the hardest man in the room (just casually knocking down/staring out ex-SAS soldiers is normal) is getting stale. 

Everyone who works for him loves him and wants to be him. The newspapers love him. He has a big future. 

Very enjoyable books but I need to space them out a bit otherwise they'll start to irritate me. 

Hi folks,
Haven't posted in a few years but hope you don't mind me promoting myself here.

I have just self-published my first book. A 200 page adventure novel for children set in Northwest Scotland called The Flitspace. 

Here is the short blurb:
Ru-um and his younger brother Cali, on holiday in Northwest Scotland, go missing while on a walk to an ancient, ruined broch. Last seen with the mysterious girl, Amelia, they are eventually found several days later, unharmed, but with Cali now inexplicably older than Ru-um.

The story follows the boys and Amelia as they venture deep under the broch and through The Flitspace into another version of Scotland very different from the one they're familiar with.

It's listed on amazon for readers 9-11 but is a fine adventure story for any reader 8 and up (some great reviews from adult readers too). Of particular interest to anyone that has ever visited that beautiful coastline, and will certainly inspire those that haven't to do so. 

It can be ordered from Waterstones, Amazon etc but I would really appreciate it if anyone that did want a copy ordered from the publisher Troubador direct at the link below as then i can recover my costs a bit quicker. Thanks folks!

https://www.troubador.co.uk/bookshop/young-children/the-flitspace

CABLE DRAFT 220124 (R2) copy.jpg

You Can't See Me by Eva Björg Ægisdóttir.

Another really good book in this series, this time set just before the start of the first. The writing and characters are top class as usual and it keeps you guessing right til the end.

I finished dune Messiah last week, it was a bit of a slog. Really enjoyed the first book but this bugged me a bit.

I have just finished listening to James O'Brien's book how they broke Britain.

Infuriating that Johnson and co got away with what they did 

On 01/05/2022 at 17:25, Craig fae the Vale said:

Columbine by Dave Cullen.

One of the most interesting books I've ever read. An essential portrait of this tragedy.

Shame it’s absolutely littered with inaccuracies.

Been reading Stream System by Gerald Murnane. It’s a collection of short fiction by him. His writing style gets a bit of getting used to (nobody has a name so it gets a bit confusing/annoying/repetative) but his stories draw you in regardless.  I’m going to stop and dip in about of this book as there’s quite lot of them.

All set in Australia thus far. In fact a very localised part of Australia near Melbourne.

The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis.

I really like him but I know he pisses a lot off with his style. I enjoyed this but again, if you disliked him before stay away from this one.

5 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis.

I really like him but I know he pisses a lot off with his style. I enjoyed this but again, if you disliked him before stay away from this one.

I do love a bit of Bret Easton Ellis and Lunar Park might just contain the most beautiful passage I’ve ever read at the end, but Imperial Bedrooms was such a letdown and then I made the mistake of listening to his podcast. It’s been 13 so I guess all of his other books are his older stuff now but I worry that this would just annoy me. 

7 hours ago, MSU said:

I do love a bit of Bret Easton Ellis and Lunar Park might just contain the most beautiful passage I’ve ever read at the end, but Imperial Bedrooms was such a letdown and then I made the mistake of listening to his podcast. It’s been 13 so I guess all of his other books are his older stuff now but I worry that this would just annoy me. 

It is more like the Less than Zero/American Psycho style.

Someone on here was extremely effusive about A Man Called Ove (think it was @Craig fae the Vale but can't find the post) a few pages back.  Great recommendation, really enjoyed it. Not often i find a book laugh out loud funny, and even less often are those actually quality novels. 

On 05/04/2024 at 15:57, Cosmic Joe said:

The Harp and The Violet by Frank Gilfeather.

It was readable enough, not Booker Prize material. Quite enjoyed the Lochee references.

Frank got a bit tetchy with me on Twitter a couple of years back when I confessed I didn’t know he had written this.

Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian.

I have been working through the Aubrey-Maturin books but this was on a different level. Best book I have read in a couple of years.