Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Beady Eye songs...

AberdeenHibee

Going to a Gallagher gig in a month, auntie got me tickets for me and my cousin. No idea about him solo, what can I expect? What's the best songs to listen to before it? Crowd favourites etc. No wanting to turn up not knowing any of his stuff.

I'm a big oasis fan.

Going to a Gallagher gig in a month, auntie got me tickets for me and my cousin. No idea about him solo, what can I expect? What's the best songs to listen to before it? Crowd favourites etc. No wanting to turn up not knowing any of his stuff.

I'm a big oasis fan.

You've never heard his solo album?!

As DomDom says, listen to the album. It's absolutely excellent. The crowd favourites are mostly all Oasis tunes.

I've listened to that new Noel song three times now and I just can't see what the fuss is all about. I'll probably get stick for this but I find it very bland. Is it the case (as with the recent popularity of 1990's boy bands getting back together) that people are craving that nostalgia buzz to such a great extent that they are happy to spend their hard earned money on music that isn't up to much and buying concert tickets that are massively overpriced?

Britpop was 20 years ago, we have the internet now and there's plenty of bands and artists out there with better material than Noel. This is merely my opinion, no offence intended.

Is it the case (as with the recent popularity of 1990's boy bands getting back together) that people are craving that nostalgia buzz to such a great extent that they are happy to spend their hard earned money on music that isn't up to much and buying concert tickets that are massively overpriced?

I think the case might just be that some people actually like Noel Gallagher's music. Hence why he's doing pretty well and Beady Eye, who were fucking terrible, wound up fading into obscurity.

I think the case might just be that some people actually like Noel Gallagher's music. Hence why he's doing pretty well and Beady Eye, who were fucking terrible, wound up fading into obscurity.

Liam was never the creative force behind Oasis so it's not surprising they flopped. I'm guessing the majority of people who buy this album and go to the gigs are Oasis fans trying to relive the good old days rather than younger people who have became fans of Noel off the back of his solo stuff.

You're probably right about it being Oasis fans but not about why. Well, you probably are when it comes to gig goers. But I can speak for myself when I say I find his music enjoyable, and if I were to go and see him this year, I'd want to see that stuff.

I've listened to that new Noel song three times now and I just can't see what the fuss is all about. I'll probably get stick for this but I find it very bland. Is it the case (as with the recent popularity of 1990's boy bands getting back together) that people are craving that nostalgia buzz to such a great extent that they are happy to spend their hard earned money on music that isn't up to much and buying concert tickets that are massively overpriced? Britpop was 20 years ago, we have the internet now and there's plenty of bands and artists out there with better material than Noel. This is merely my opinion, no offence intended.

I think Ballad of the Mighty I is a great song, and very different to what we are used to hearing from them previously, which indicates to me that they are adaptable to the change in music, and are no longer just catering for people who wish to relive their youth and listen to music he produced from the Britpop scene.

Whilst I would like to hear some classic Oasis at a NGHFB gig, the primary factor for me attending would be to hear the recent stuff he has made, as I think it's pretty excellent. Their first album was outstanding, one of those albums you can easily put on and listen to every track.

My wife got us both tickets to see them in Belfast next month, really looking forward to it.

I can't get enough of Noel's solo stuff, but I have to say I'm not a massive fan of Ballad of the Mighty I. It's alright but doesn't sound like 'single' material to me. But then Noel never has been good at selecting that kind of thing - sure I read he wanted to make 'Mucky Fingers' the lead single off Don't Believe the Truth. Craziness.

I love Heat of the Moment and Do the Damage though. Surprised the latter hasn't made the album, it's excellent.

The first album was absolutely wonderful though, better than anything Oasis had done since 1996. It's standing up there on its own and I'm not sure there'll be a whole lot of Oasis stuff in his gigs now with two albums and a few decent B-sides to choose from. DLBIA as a crowd pleaser may be about it. Can see him following Weller's example and cutting it out for a while.

Edited by Paco

Listened to Everybody's on the Run/In the Heat of the Moment/The death of you and me/Dream on/Ballad of the Mighty I and I'm enjoying it a lot. Feel like I know the songs from somewhere without even realising.

Will try and get stuck into some more before next month

Does anyone else prefer certain live versions to the album ones?

Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Supersonic and Stand By Me are all superior to their counterparts, imo. A few others are just as good too.

Listened to Everybody's on the Run/In the Heat of the Moment/The death of you and me/Dream on/Ballad of the Mighty I and I'm enjoying it a lot. Feel like I know the songs from somewhere without even realising.

Will try and get stuck into some more before next month

Just listen to his entire first album start to finish. That'll sort you right out.

Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Supersonic and Stand By Me are all superior to their counterparts, imo. A few others are just as good too.

There are some versions I listen live to more than others. Columbia at Barrowlands and Supersonic at Wembley 2000 for example. Both unreal.

Coincidence but I'm currently making my way through the Early Years album on Youtube. Different class.

Slide Away is one of my all time favourites but live just blows me away, especially the acoustic Chicago 98 version.

The Ballad Of The Mighty I is an absolute corker of a tune although it is awfy like Secret Machines' "The Road Leads Where It's Led".

Just listen to his entire first album start to finish. That'll sort you right out.

There are some versions I listen live to more than others. Columbia at Barrowlands and Supersonic at Wembley 2000 for example. Both unreal.

Coincidence but I'm currently making my way through the Early Years album on Youtube. Different class.

I meant to say the Wembley 2000 versions for the four songs I mentioned btw.

Supersonic especially: I prefer the quicker pace to it and the riff at the end is different gravy.