The Alan Partridge Thread

Swampy

"some people ask me whether I think the new James Bond should be black and/or a woman. I actually have an idea to basically split him into two characters.

Idris Elba will be Richard James; Tom Hiddleston - David Bond. Between the two of them they'll be like a spy superteam. It'll work because you couldn't really imagine Tom Hiddleston running fast or fighting anyone, and Idris Elba would be given short shrift at any country club.

It's great too because if you don't like Idris Elba you've got Tom Hiddleston, and if you don't like Tom Hiddleston there's Idris Elba. If you don't like Idris Elba *or* Tom Hiddleston, then you are shit out of luck because that is the spiiiiiiiiine of my idea"

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

"some people ask me whether I think the new James Bond should be black and/or a woman. I actually have an idea to basically split him into two characters.

Idris Elba will be Richard James; Tom Hiddleston - David Bond. Between the two of them they'll be like a spy superteam. It'll work because you couldn't really imagine Tom Hiddleston running fast or fighting anyone, and Idris Elba would be given short shrift at any country club.

It's great too because if you don't like Idris Elba you've got Tom Hiddleston, and if you don't like Tom Hiddleston there's Idris Elba. If you don't like Idris Elba *or* Tom Hiddleston, then you are shit out of luck because that is the spiiiiiiiiine of my idea"

Is that from the Oasthouse :lol: ? 

Think it was his last book, ‘I Partridge, We need to talk about Alan’ that I got as an audio book and listened to it on the way into work in the morning. There was times I was genuinely swerving all over the motorway because I was laughing so much. The only quote that I can remember having me in stitches was when he was talking about introducing himself to someone and he said ‘he managed to mix a warm, friendly disposition with a genuine mental illness’. 

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is that from the Oasthouse :lol: ? 

Think it was his last book, ‘I Partridge, We need to talk about Alan’ that I got as an audio book and listened to it on the way into work in the morning. There was times I was genuinely swerving all over the motorway because I was laughing so much. The only quote that I can remember having me in stitches was when he was talking about introducing himself to someone and he said ‘he managed to mix a warm, friendly disposition with a genuine mental illness’. 

yep - From the Oawsthoawse.

the mental illness line rings a bell, yes! christ i mind hearing that bit in a friends car who'd got the audiobook when we on our way to 5's years ago, was buckled

On 03/10/2020 at 09:54, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Downloaded this a week or so ago and finally got round to listening this weekend. Consistently funny throughout. 9 on 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Something I'm surprised has never been brought up in universe (that I remember), in one of the books or podcast series, is that Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank actually happened. Could be some good Partridge sueing for royalties content in that

See you in Strasbourg!

I would say Alan has a pretty solid claim here, and as far as I can see he hasn’t been credited. That’s Tony Hayers and the BBC for you though.

Was back rewatching the This Time with Alan Partridge series recently, well rewatching it for about the 45th time. You pick up jokes you haven’t noticed before on every watch, just small things like the faces Alan makes or the sound of his shoes as he walks across the studio. It’s a bit like the book Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab, which actually improves with every read.  

On 20/10/2020 at 21:14, Arch Stanton said:

Even though I know what's coming, this makes me ROFL every time.

How have I never seen this video until today :lol: top tier trolling. Up there with the guy who managed to phone into The Wright Stuff twice in a row to call his ex-wife a bitch. 

Reminds me of the clip from Mid Morning Matters where a guy called Ibrahim phones up to speak to the Agony Aunt, at the same time as Alan is contractually obligated to do the traffic and travel. He ends up telling the guy a story about how he got distracted by the Moscow Olympics boycott and crashed into a horse on the Norfolk backroads, and phoned the RSPCA to report it using a Scottish accent just as he passed the slow moving eastbound traffic on the A47...then plays the ‘Traffic and Travel sponsored by Castrol’ jingle :lol: 

• 3 months later...