The LOLverpool Thread

Sums Rodgers' time up well really. Wonderful one week, insipid the next. You get the feeling this Liverpoool side is almost very good. Can see in some performances like today, or at Man City and Arsenal that they can genuinely compete for that 4th spot, but way too many losses like midweek to do that this season.

I think they'll do well next season under Rodgers. Finish this season strong, get a 6th/7th place finish, which would be an improvement from The Mumbleclown, and kick on from there.

It depends on what happens in the summer. Rodgers' first signings haven't made the grade, though Borini has had dreadful luck with injuries so arguably hasn't had enough of a chance. Joe Allen, however, is a player who offers precious little and was never going to be good enough. The fact Rodgers has went out again and signed players who play the same positions as these two says it all.

Sturridge has markedly improved the front line and has also taken some of the pressure off Suarez, and Coutinho sounds very promising. More signings like these and they are on the road upwards; more like Joe Allen and they won't go anywhere.

There was an article in the Mirror (I know) about who Rodgers is aiming to ship out next season. I'm sure they were: Reina, Enrique, Skrtl, Coates, Downing and Henderson. Ashely Williams' name was mentioned as a possible signing, which would be a bad move.

None of those names are really surprising, though getting rid of them all would be a mistake. Finance is needed, but they can't afford to neglect the fact that they have precious little in terms of depth.

Edited by Michael W

It depends on what happens in the summer. Rodgers' first signings haven't made the grade, though Borini has had dreadful luck with injuries so arguably hasn't had enough of a chance. Joe Allen, however, is a player who offers precious little and was never going to be good enough. The fact Rodgers has went out again and signed players who play the same positions as these two says it all.

I still think Joe Allan is a fine player and will do very well for Liverpool.

Borini is horrendous. A terrible signing. Would expect him to be papped off for a massive loss in the summer, or at least loaned back to Italy.

Rodgers record in the cup is significantly worse than that of Dalglish and his league position only toady went one position higher than where they finished last year.

Combine that with horror show signings like Borini, Allen and Sahin and I think spectacular failure covers his reign quite nicely.

And that's long before we get onto that 'Being Liverpool' shite.

I still think Joe Allan is a fine player and will do very well for Liverpool.

Borini is horrendous. A terrible signing. Would expect him to be papped off for a massive loss in the summer, or at least loaned back to Italy.

For me, he's a good player who is worthless for the most part. He is an excellent passer of the ball, but offers precious little otherwise. He doesn't score goals, he doesn't assist goals and he's not a sitting player who's there to break up the play either. It's his lack of creativity that's particularly frustrating - the back is passed onto the other midfielders. He's a passenger and has one good attribute, which really isn't enough for a £15M player.

It's been suggested Borini has been played out of position, though with Suarez about he'll just have to deal with that. Unless he adapts to playing out wide it's a stick on that he'll be shipped out sooner or later, though I can't imagine Rodgers will be likely to punt his own signings for at least another season.

Was down at Anfield today and thankfully a terrible week ended with a win, although against Swansea's reserves.

I'm fortunate to have a good seat on the Kop and I didn't think it was a penalty for the first goal. It was the linesman who gave it not Webb. (and the 2nd one too funnily enough!) A second just after the break from Coutinho, Swansea folded and it was lucky it wasn't more. Fantastic goals from Enrique and Suarez.

HB must be kicking every ball at the moment hoping Brendan Rodgers can prove his theory that he is an improvement on Dalglish right. I'd love to be proved wrong but he should have been given longer. Can't help but think that if he and Clark were still at the club we'd be at least 10 points better off chasing the top 4 and sniffing a cup final trip or 2.

I'd love to be proved wrong but he should have been given longer. Can't help but think that if he and Clark were still at the club we'd be at least 10 points better off chasing the top 4 and sniffing a cup final trip or 2.

Yeah, right you are :lol:

I'd love to be proved wrong but he should have been given longer. Can't help but think that if he and Clark were still at the club we'd be at least 10 points better off chasing the top 4 and sniffing a cup final trip or 2.

Yeah, right you are :lol:

To be fair, I wish the Mumbleclown had been given longer too. And Alan Shearer at Newcastle. Those were great days.

Paul Scholes?

An outstanding footballer but he has been involved in some horrific challenges that has almost been forgotten due to him being one of the premierships best midfielders of all time. He has picked up the third most bookings in premiership history. Has a real nasty streak in him on the park, As i have already said you can pick faults on any character of an individual as many have done on this thread with the thug nonesense about Caragher.

Rodgers record in the cup is significantly worse than that of Dalglish and his league position only toady went one position higher than where they finished last year.

Combine that with horror show signings like Borini, Allen and Sahin and I think spectacular failure covers his reign quite nicely.

And that's long before we get onto that 'Being Liverpool' shite.

Spectacular failure??? You really are the king of talking nonesense. Stop reading tabloid headlines and step back into reality. 6th position with the squad he has would be an significant achievement. Allen was outstanding earlier in the season but his form has dipped(he is 22). borrini has been injured most of the season and the loan signing of Sahin didnt work out. What about rodgers giving chances to young Sterling and Shelvey, who have now been picked for England, or the progress of young Wisdom, Henderson and the good form of Downing. The signing of Sturridge and form and improved temperment of suarez to name a few significant improvements. The style of play has also changed which takes time. Yes there has been setbacks along the way, but spectacular failure is a laughable statement. Rome wasnt built in a day, just ask Alex ferguson.

Spectacular failure??? You really are the king of talking nonesense. Stop reading tabloid headlines and step back into reality. 6th position with the squad he has would be an significant achievement. Allen was outstanding earlier in the season but his form has dipped(he is 22). borrini has been injured most of the season and the loan signing of Sahin didnt work out. What about rodgers giving chances to young Sterling and Shelvey, who have now been picked for England, or the progress of young Wisdom, Henderson and the good form of Downing. The signing of Sturridge and form and improved temperment of suarez to name a few significant improvements. The style of play has also changed which takes time. Yes there has been setbacks along the way, but spectacular failure is a laughable statement. Rome wasnt built in a day, just ask Alex ferguson.

All of which could very easily have happened under Dalglish. Rodgers has spent £50 million on Sturridge, Allen, Borini, Assaidi and Coutinho. With his own investment, a fit again Lucas and Gerrard and keeping Andy Carroll things would be going better this season under Kenny for me.

But hey as I've said earlier in the thread Rodgers has got mine and the majority of the crowds support and he'll get time. Fingers crossed he can do it.

Dalglish was probably a little unfortunate to lose his job, but i think it was more than the football performances that decided his fate. His post match interviews and general media relations were becoming embarrassing. His handling of the Suarez allegations were dreadful. Whether we like it or not its a huge part of the game with 24 hour sports channels, and Dalglish was found wanting in the media department which would not go down well with the american owners. If they had won the FA cup final it may have been different.

Agree Narey that may have been a factor. He battled the press right from his first interview at Old Trafford. He could definitely have handled the Suarez stuff differently and he has admitted so since. The owners have definitely got the right man in media wise now.